Panther : using fax via airport extreme's modem port ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone happen to know if you're able to send/receive faxes via panther with an airport extreme via the airport's modem/phone port?

I'm wondering if that's possible.

or does each computer need a specific phone line hooked up to it to send/receive faxes? [per usual].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    God that would be the coolest thing EVER.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mo' ronmo' ron Posts: 2member
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to...

There's SW now you can get where you only put the fax server on the Mac with a modem, then the client SW on the computers with only a LAN, and fax...

With Airport, I assume any computer can initiate a dialout, and the PPP settings are set in the normal internet settings part...

If that's the case, then I would imagine any computer would be able to fax too.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Indeed that would be cool. But I wouldn't hold your breath. The ability for any computer to initiate the connection on the airport is possible because the base station is programmed with your isp's dial up details.

In order for the fax to work, the airport would require a fairly major firmware update, and the rom chips might not have that much room.

Just my thoughts, I don't actually own or use wireless.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If they can make it "print" to the USB port I see no reason why they can't rig it to print to the modem/fax connection.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If they can make it "print" to the USB port I see no reason why they can't rig it to print to the modem/fax connection.

true that...is all i have to say
  • Reply 6 of 13
    This would rock. Put me down for a 'me too'.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    not sure if its relavant for this exact thread, but when I was playing earlier (a copy of panther 7Bxx just appeared on my HD this morning) I noticed you can share the fax connection on one computer with the others on the network.

And I as think about the airport fax capability, I realise more that its prolly not practical. Where would all the inbound faxes be saved? I suppose they could be printed direct to the printer attached to USB, but I doubt it the airport actually holds a driver for the printer, It would just send the data as it came from each mac.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    apeirosapeiros Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

...And I as think about the airport fax capability, I realise more that its prolly not practical. Where would all the inbound faxes be saved?...

That was easy to solve: they could do it e.g. with a button in the preferences pane "use this mac for incomming faxes". This would even allow multiple macs to receive faxes.

Even more sophisticated they could do a "look on [select a mac from network] for new faxes".
  • Reply 9 of 13
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by apeiros

That was easy to solve: they could do it e.g. with a button in the preferences pane "use this mac for incomming faxes". This would even allow multiple macs to receive faxes.

Even more sophisticated they could do a "look on [select a mac from network] for new faxes".

And when no computers are available on the network, because their either asleep, off, or just plain not there?

What then?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

And when no computers are available on the network, because their either asleep, off, or just plain not there?

What then?

If that were the case with each individual computer being hooked up to fax, they wouldn't be able to send/receive either.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

If that were the case with each individual computer being hooked up to fax, they wouldn't be able to send/receive either.

Yes. But the idea was to use the AEBS as a Fax server of sorts, which implies 24/7 connectivity so that you could always get a fax.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    beaniebeanie Posts: 10member
    I have the WWDC Panther and I tried extensively to fax ANYTHING. I haven't been able to send or receive anything so far. On sending I'm really lucky if it starts to negotiate, most of the time I'm just happy it dials. The Fax is handled like a printer, so when it stops working, the fax printer service is halted.

On incoming faxes it sometimes pics up but then stops.

PPP works great, so I don't think it's the modem. Maybe the probkem is the locale. I'm in Germany. Maybe it only works in the states. I wouldn't know of the differences between German and US fax devices...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moose

Yes. But the idea was to use the AEBS as a Fax server of sorts, which implies 24/7 connectivity so that you could always get a fax.

Well, do you shut down your fax device?

See :-)

If you use a mac as fax device you have to run it 24/7 as you'd run a fax device too. There is nothing strange about it. And yes, a mac uses more power than a fax device but hey, that's your choice!