Help get me off Access!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know of an Access like program for mac that will also be cross platform compatible? I tried Filemaker but I just hate the fact that every "table" is really its own file - I like the Access style where you see all the tables in one file. I also kind of think that Access is much more versatile and can do more, in terms of my needs, than Filemaker can.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    are you using it for the web? if so why not use mysql with phpadmin.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

are you using it for the web? if so why not use mysql with phpadmin.

Forgot to say, that this is pure internal database, none of it will got on the web.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

Forgot to say, that this is pure internal database, none of it will got on the web.

filemaker would be the closest thing i can think of. you might also take a look at 4D, but it may be overkill for what your doing.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    The only thing I absolutely HATE about FileMaker is that every file is separate - I love the Access ability to have everything self contained - if there is a view option for FileMaker or if anyone knows about any updates or hacks I would really appreciate it.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The only thing I absolutely HATE about FileMaker is that every file is separate - I love the Access ability to have everything self contained - if there is a view option for FileMaker or if anyone knows about any updates or hacks I would really appreciate it.

What do you mean by a view option?

But you should take a look at 4D - it's more 'database like' than FileMaker.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Does anyone know of an Access like program for mac that will also be cross platform compatible? I tried Filemaker but I just hate the fact that every "table" is really its own file - I like the Access style where you see all the tables in one file. I also kind of think that Access is much more versatile and can do more, in terms of my needs, than Filemaker can.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

If you weren't looking for cross platform compatibility, check out Paradox.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    MySQL is just fine for pure internal stuff. It'd be great for using one database for a particular application used on a variety of computers over a LAN, WAN or whatever. It's cross platform, but if you're using it over a network that won't matter since for most business applications only require one database on a central server. I'd definitely say MySQL is the way to go for a free cross platform database.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Don't write Filemaker off yet. A completely new rewrite is rumored to be around the corner. The logical place for it to be announced would be the Filemaker developers conference at the end of August.

In a previous thread I posted what it might contain. It is suspicious that nothing has been heard about it by now.

Oh...here's the link.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    allenallen Posts: 84member
    There must be beta testers if Filemaker is less than a month away. Someone must know if it ready and what the feature set will be.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Good question. I think you are understimating filemaker. I know the thinking is not the same as access but it does a hell of a lot more easier. However, if you use the wizards in access you will have a bit of trouble getting used to it. 4D has the same type of user inreface as access so you might find it usefull. MYSQL is free and kicks ass.

I think from your comments that you are experimenting with filemaker. So I am going to give you a quick conversion turn around for it. Sorry if you already know it and have done this.

1. Go to the Access and export all your tables as excel sheets.

2. In Filemaker just say open and point it to the excel sheets.

3. After all your tables are inported in their own file create relationships by going to File->relationships between the Filemaker files.

4. If you Do not know what your relationships are just print out the relationships from Access.

5. After you do all of this in Filemaker you can simply export it using freeware FMProMigrator and play with it in MYSQL. If you need a browser based interface for MYSQL use phpMyAdmin and if you want an application use CocoaMysql both are freeware.

Try Filemaker's scripting language if you need more power. I think you will find the idea of not having reports and queries and form and tables seperate from each other sometimes is a blessing. And controlling the output formats are very easy. Getting on the web only needs connection and two checkmarks.

If you need more information there are thousends of tutorials around.

Good Luck

Jay
  • Reply 11 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The fact that we are 20 days away from the Filemaker Developers Conference and NOBODY has any info on the new version makes me think its been pulled in-house and is being given the "keynote treatment"

Only Jobs would be able to keep something like this a complete secret.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    allenallen Posts: 84member
    Well the Filemaker developer conference is over and no word on Filemaker 7. No hints, no feature speculation, and no release date.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I had read somewhere that FM 7 was supposed to do exactly what's being requested here: all tables incorporated into a single file.

I can't for the life of me remember where I read that, though.

For now, though, I'd have to agree that mySQL with <insert GUI front end here> is the best bet.

-John
  • Reply 14 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My dad attended the FileMaker Developer Conference.

He's not allowed to say much about "FileMaker Next" (they're not calling it FileMaker 7 yet because they haven't decided whether to name it that yet), but he did tell me that it will be a very major upgrade that will basically incorporate all the features people have been asking for all these years, moving FileMaker above the "toy" status and making it much more competitive with other, professional databases.

That's really all he told me though... most of what he told me was over my head.