Apple coffee table book...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone else like to see a large, snazzily-designed "coffee table" book showcasing Apple's iEra hardware designs? Both real, final versions AND concept sketches and initial physical mockups?

I'd pay half a gazillion clams for something like this.

Any thoughts as to why this hasn't been done? Even the most diehard Apple hater/Mac basher can't deny that their stuff looks COOL.

A large hardcover book with large, gorgeous photography and informative captions would keep me occupied and starry-eyed for MONTHS!

If you go to Barnes & Noble, you see all those "Spaceships of Star Wars" and "Gadgetry of 007" books, not to mention "The History of Fender Guitars" and that type of thing.

The same sort of book, just with Macs.

I'd love Ive to open up his sketchbook and talk, in depth, about the design and challenges of all this stuff. Hell, things like the Cube and the toilet seat iBook alone would be worth the price! I'd love to see little handdrawn sketches of this stuff when it was first dreamed up!

And to see some of the original prototypes.

Sigh...I wish I worked at Apple, or otherwise had Steve's ear. I'd insist he make this happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Just to head off any sure-to-come replies of the sort: no, I don't care about pre-1998 stuff and the other books out there don't delve into the design/mockup/prototype/discussion end of it like my wish above would.

Not interested in an Apple history lesson, couldn't care less about the "garage days", Sculley or Gil, Lisa, etc. There are TONS of that stuff out there already.

I'm talking strictly hardware design here...and more specifically, the cool stuff, from the Bondi iMac to present day. Basically, the book could pretty much be about Ive and his crew, for the most part.

I want to know/see that initial spark of "hey, let's make this all-in-one that's geared toward the Internet, and...".

Include, of course, the iPod, iSight, the displays, mouse, keyboards, etc. in addition to the computers too. Kinda like that REALLY cool book about Industrial Light and Magic that's been out for years. Anyone seen that?

The hardcore, behind-the-scenes DESIGN angle.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Good idea, but you can't do a retrospective of current times, can you? Give it time. In 5 years, i'm sure we'll see something.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Sure you can. It's BEEN 5 years since the iEra began. The day "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones" were released, there were already huge books on the shelves with the costumes, vehicles, weapons, etc. from these movies. Tied right in, was instant and accompanying.

If someone started putting it together right now (and allowing for anything new that might pop up for the remainder of 2003), do you truly not think most Macheads would be THRILLED beyond words to read about the origins of the iMac, iBook, Cube, G4 tower, Cinema Display, iPod, LCD iMac, eMac, and see photos and renderings of rejected ideas, "not quite there" prototypes, cool handdrawn sketches, stories related by Ive, Jobs and others in the loop, etc.

They could sell it for $99 (and since it's Apple, they probably would), and everyone here would probably buy one. Or ask for it for Christmas or their birthday! You know it!

No reason whatsoever "waiting 5 more years" should be the case. They've got enough stuff right now (including the G5, the iSight and the aluminum PowerBooks of 2003) to fill pages and make for some gorgeous photography/artwork (combined, of course, with photos of prototypes and initial sketches.

What's this "wait 5 years..." nonsense? We wait ENOUGH on chips and updates and Motorola...we damn sure shouldn't have to wait on a BOOK too!

Apple. Wait different.

Nope. I want it NOW.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i'd love to see something like this.

don't think it will happen soon.

the current Apple likes to hide it's design process way too much. some of the prototype designs may still come to light some day. they don;t want to give the competititon a heads up.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Hey, I went ahead and even did a cover for 'em, just to get them going and make it easy!

Yep, do it at same size as the 17" aluminum PowerBook and the cover kinda echoes the look with the metal (even though it's more GUI brushed metal) and the white logo. Just add a title in the Apple corporate font.

The book LOOKS like a PowerBook!

It SINGS, baby! Green light it and watch the money pour in.

BTW, I got my first up-close and alone time with the 17" PowerBook yesterday at the Atlanta Apple Store.

I think I'm in love!

• Reply 6 of 19
    i think it's a good idea, but it's doubtful that someone inside apple would do it, it would have to be someone outside who would....say write a letter to someone with the idea......someone who's put a lot of thought into it. someone who has now blabbed his brilliant idea to bunch of other people.

i mean the idea alone that it would look like a powerbook, is as genius as kramer's coffee table book that turns into a coffee table!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'll wait till Rev.B . Ive will f*ck up the hinge on the book in Rev.A, then perfect it for Rev.B . He always does.
  • Reply 8 of 19

It is, isn't it?

Wasn't necessarily going for the Kramer angle, but hey...

Thing is, it would almost HAVE to be an "inside job" (or done with participation/cooperation of Apple, Jobs, Ive, etc.). Otherwise, what's the point? Needs to be more than just a pretty picture book to have any weight or meaning, you know?

The access to interviews, thoughts, sketches, prototypes, etc. are what would set it apart and make it truly a "wow!" kinda project.

I can sit here and, in my head, imagine the pages...and it's delicious!

BTW, I saw a REALLY cool/nice "Finding Nemo" book at Barnes & Noble this weekend, with all the initial mockups, storyboards, preliminary character sketches, test animation frames, background mattes, production/art notes, etc.

So that's Pixar. Which is partly Jobs. Which means the whole idea of "opening up and giving the world a peak into the magic" isn't COMPLETELY out of the question or realm of possibility. I'm certain Jobs (being CEO and all) carries a bit of weight there, and if he didn't want this book about Nemo put out, he could've put the kibosh on it. But he didn't, and he's actually mentioned a few times throughout and thanked profusely in the foreward and the acknowledgements section.

I sat there and looked at every page, just cooing over the sketches of little fish and underwater scenes. That's from someone who hasn't even seen the movie!

Imagine how we'd react to a book done that way about Macs!

• Reply 9 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If it had a lot of process stuff, I'd but it in a second.
  • Reply 10 of 19

Amazon.com's editorial reviews:

"This oversized, coffee-table volume is devoted to the industrial design of every product made at Apple Computer over the course of 20 years. Lavishly illustrated with over 400 large color photographs by photographer Rick English, the book transforms the plastic cases, LCD displays, and disk drives from old Apple IIcs, Lisas, Macs, PowerBooks, and Newtons (and a few technologies that never made it to the street) into objects of fine art. The book's attention to detail, even in the small peripherals, such as the stylus of the Newton--the ubiquitous round stick-on microphone that ships with the Mac--contributes to the technological identity of the Apple brand."

too bad, it is not from "iEra". Concept products which didn't make it is shown too. "iEra Appledesign: The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group" will be a good idea.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    We could get Cosmo Kramer to put it together. It would even have legs so it could actually be used to hold a couple of mugs of coffee on it!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ooh! Ooh! Maybe when it's opened to the inside cover, there's a picture of the Mac OS X desktop along with a picture of the keyboard, speakers, trackpad, etc. That way if you open just the cover, it looks like you're actually USING the PowerBook!

A coffee table book about PowerBooks that looks like a PowerBook and is itself a PowerBook! (for people taking cursory glances at least)
  • Reply 13 of 19
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Hey pscates, the moment I read your post, I thought YOU (yes, YOU) would be the perfect man for such an endeavour. Not only are you a fantastic-blurb-man (and I mean that in the nicest way), but you are also gifted with some designer skills (AFAIK). And you have the enthusiasm to run the gauntlet associated with this project. And you're probably well passed the crazed shifting concentration adolescents thrive on (meaning you could put your mind to it). And if you do it right, you'll be meeting Jobs and Ive yourself. I totally see THAT happening. And I hope you wear an AppleInsider T-shirt on that joyous occasion. So, how about it?

• Reply 14 of 19
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I second that!

Write them nice people at 1 infinite loop a nice letter.

Go on... Go on... you know you want to... the iccle voices in your head agree with us...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hey I'd love to see a book like that. Problem is, would there be enough people like us to justify the costs involved to produce one. I don't know what the print run for the current "AppleDesign" book was, but there needs to be interest for this stuff before a the publisher gets behind it.

And I'm not sure Jobs' is the one you want to speak to. Although his ego would certainly welcome a book about his "babies", I'm not sure if he'd give you the time of day.

Maybe the publisher of the first book would bite. You could always try them. They must have had some relationship with Apple.

P.S.

Pscates, you realize if Apple allowed you to go behind the scenes, you'd forever be banned from speaking on AI!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Thanks for the kind words, der Kopf (and others). But one small problem: what I have in enthusiasm and interest and passion I TOTALLY negate in lack of writing ability.

I'm not a writer in any sort of trained, schooled way.

I'm not the person to do this.

But the idea certainly has "legs" and kicks butt, huh?

And I think the market for this would be quite large. Hell, MUCH more than that original book! Just think about it: back THEN (the "beige" days), Apple truly was a "niche" company, making a "niche" product (the prices, the proprietary hardware/software, the focus on publishing, etc.).

These days? It's wide open! Macs play nice with Windows, they cater to ALL types of users (not just designers), the hardware is gorgeous and worthy of a dedicated book. I'm convinced there are enough diehard, hardcore Mac geeks out there who would buy this. Along with design students, fans of industrial design/product design, computer people in general, people who buy art/collector/coffee table books, etc.

I don't think it would be "limited appeal" at all! Quite the opposite. Sure, the bulk would, of course, be people like us. But it would probably end up being required reading in design schools and engineering programs!

Story of my life: too many ideas, no clue how to make them happen...

• Reply 17 of 19
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Anyone else like to see a large, snazzily-designed "coffee table" book showcasing Apple's iEra hardware designs? Both real, final versions AND concept sketches and initial physical mockups?

I'd pay half a gazillion clams for something like this.

Any thoughts as to why this hasn't been done? Even the most diehard Apple hater/Mac basher can't deny that their stuff looks COOL.

A large hardcover book with large, gorgeous photography and informative captions would keep me occupied and starry-eyed for MONTHS!

If you go to Barnes & Noble, you see all those "Spaceships of Star Wars" and "Gadgetry of 007" books, not to mention "The History of Fender Guitars" and that type of thing.

The same sort of book, just with Macs.

I'd love Ive to open up his sketchbook and talk, in depth, about the design and challenges of all this stuff. Hell, things like the Cube and the toilet seat iBook alone would be worth the price! I'd love to see little handdrawn sketches of this stuff when it was first dreamed up!

And to see some of the original prototypes.

Sigh...I wish I worked at Apple, or otherwise had Steve's ear. I'd insist he make this happen.

Lets list the computers we would like to see. Just a quick list to get started.

Cube

iMacs, Bondi, All 12 colors/flowers, Flat panels

iMac (Rev. A + B)

iMac (Revision C)

iMac (Revision D)

iMac (Slot Loading CD-ROM)

iMac (Summer 2000)

iMac (Early 2001)

iMac (Summer 2001)

iMac (Flat-Panel)

iMac (17-inch Flat-Panel)

iMac (17-inch 1 GHz)

eMac

All-in-One G3's

G3 powerbook, bronze & External CD drive

Ti Powerbook

Ai powerbooks of all sizes

Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One

Power Macintosh G3 Desktop

Power Macintosh G3 Minitower

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White)

Power Macintosh G4 El Capy, Yikes, Quicksilver

iBooks - 3 Colors, White

Studio Display 15"

Studio Display 17"

Studio Display 21"

Studio Display 17" (ADC)

Studio Display LCD

Studio Display 17" (LCD)

Cinema Display

Cinema HD Display

20" Cinema Display

Studio CRT

Xserve

Xserve (slot-loading)

Xserve RAID

Xserve (Cluster Node)

USB Mouse - Puck

Pro Mouse - Black Mouse

Apple Mouse - White Mouse

Pro Speakers - iSub

iPod - ver. 1,2,3

Airport Base and Wireless Cards

Apple Stores

Video Adapters

iSight
  • Reply 18 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

BTW, I got my first up-close and alone time with the 17" PowerBook yesterday at the Atlanta Apple Store.

I think I'm in love!

I like this idea pscates, certainly a lot of mac-heads would buy 4

as for the 17 inch powerbook, I saw one for the first time on a plane a couple days ago. In person, It doesn't even look THAT big, I was amazed, I thought it was the 15 inch at first, then I realized wait a second, those keys are glowing. The size looked perfect for someone that loves portability but also loves desktops. I was very impressed, that thing is awesome.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Geobe, that's awesome, just thinking about a design book with maybe a dozen pages for each computer/device going through all the steps, and then 6 or so full sized, high res pictures.

that would be so neat.