eMac or PowerMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all! I'm getting ready to switch to Mac, and I need some input from long-time Mac users.

First, I want to say that I would LOVE to get a G5, because it's wickedly insane, I won't need another computer for a zillion years, and I can buy the 1.6 for $1619 with my student discount (downgrading to a combo drive). BUT... I need a new computer *NOW*, and can't wait until September.

Here are the questions I have:

1. Is there a major speed/performance difference b/w the 1 GHz eMac and the 1.25 GHz P-Mac? My gut says no, but of course I'm not sure. I'm going to put 1 gig of RAM in whichever one I get...so we're not comparing apples to oranges in this case.

2. I will be doing web and multimedia design using Macromedia Studio MX for Mac and PhotoShop, etc, for class assignments and projects (NOT professionally), as I'm getting a M.S. in Internet & Multimedia Technology (when I get ready to graduate I'll want to get the G5 for pro level work).

Besides the expandability of the P-Mac, is there a genuinely compelling reason for me to spend MORE on a P-Mac than an eMac for what I need to do? Please keep in mind that every penny counts to a self-supporting student when you give your answer, .

Also, to be taken into consideration is that AppleWorks comes with the eMac but not the P-Mac. If I got the P-Mac I'd have to turn around and spend money to get a Mac compatible office suite, too.

Going with the eMac seems the best way for me to get more bang for my buck, but because I'm brand new to Mac, I need you guys' input.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Just in my opinion (and many others would disagree I'm sure), I think the best bet for you would be the eMac. Here's why:

1 - The 1 GHz eMac was recently found to beat the 1 GHz iMac in a number of tests. Though not by an amazing margin, it shows that the 1 GHz eMac is certainly a contender, even though it's considered Apple's "lowest end" machine.

2 - Many say the Radeon 7500 video card outperforms the GeForce4 MX in the iMac line. Even if games aren't a priority, that's a selling point that is hard to ignore if you end up buying a machine that cannot be upgraded in the future to new video.

3 - The 1 GHz eMac has an improved monitor over previous models that fixes some issues people were seeing, a significantly better video card, and Combo/SuperDrives with the same specs as the Flat-Screen iMacs. It's enhanced from the original 700-800 MHz eMacs, and so any old negative items you heard about those no longer apply.

4 - The iMac costs significantly more for really nothing more than the flat screen. All others specs are pretty much identical. I don't think the iMac is worth the extra cost over the eMac if you intend to buy an all-in-one closed machine. (Admittedly though, the iMac is sexier.)

5 - On the PowerMac issue...to me, I don't personally see the appeal unless you are convinced you'll want to spend more on a computer today, and then spend more AGAIN to buy upgrades for it. But for what it costs, it seems the eMac is almost "disposable". Great machine today for $1000 (without SuperDrive), and then buy something new in 2 years if it's really urgent. A PowerMac almost REQUIRES you keeping it for 3-5 years and doing at least one upgrade to justify the extra initial expense.

Today, the 1 GHz eMac stands right alongside the 1 GHz iMac and 1.25 GHz PowerMac G4 as an equal. The iMac offers more sex appeal and the PowerMac offers more theoretical expandability...but most never take full advantage of that. To me, the eMac is best combination of price and performance Apple currently offers. Especially for a student...in my opinion...

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Lol Ensoniq.... 4 of your points were concerning the iMac that appears not to be even an option in Rochelle's post

Anyways, yes get the eMac and max the RAM... since you're using this for edu purposes, I don't think the little extra time spent in Photoshop or Studio MX should be a huge issue for you. Also, since it's a stopgap purchase for 1- 2 years while you get your Masters 1 GHz should be fine for that time period, it's not like some people who want their computer to last them 5 years or anything.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ensoniq,

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out! Very thorough answer, and I really appreciate it.

The points you made were right in line with what I was thinking, but being new to Mac I didn't want to make a "stoopid" mistake.

I'm very glad you addressed the screen problems on the eMac. I had seen several posts about it, and was starting to worry. It's good to know that on these new eMacs, those problems have been taken care of. Besides, with the student discount, I can get an eMac and three years of AppleCare for $968 (before I upgrade the RAM). If I have any problems, they'll either repair or replace. I'll most likely buy used--but tested--RAM from a local computer shop to save a few bucks.

Thanks for the info on the iMac, too. I think those things are TOO CUTE! But, totally overpriced for their lack of upgradeability. Plus, I keep reading about its "hanging head of shame". If that were to happen to me, after spending all that money, I'd be furious.

The absurd thing is that EVEN WITH the student discount, the 17" iMacs cost MORE ($1699/$2193) than the 1.6 GHz G5 with combo drive instead of super ($1619). Monitor be danged, LOL. I think that only someone in my position of not being able to wait for the G5, or who is intimidated by the power of a G5 would not take the G5 in lieu of the iMac after being told what I just wrote above.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks, MCQ!

I don't think the time spent in PS or Studio MX would tax the eMac at all, either. I am currently using a locally refurbed P3 500 MHz Deskpro w/ 10 GB hard drive and 256 MB of RAM ($159 paid for it). Before I partitioned the hard drive to dual boot SuSE Linux with Windows, my computer didn't even blink hard when I had PS 6, Dreamweaver MX or Fireworks MX open together and going back and forth between them.

My eMac is going to be way faster and just plain better than what I have now (not getting rid of it though), so I don't think it'll even be a problem.

And, you're totally correct. The eMac is a "stopgap" purchase to get me through the next few years. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible. I figure that by the time I finish my program, I'll know Mac inside and out and won't have a learning curve when I start doing professional level work.

Plus, the G5's are only going to get better in the next few years. Right now, I don't need the power they offer, but by the time I do need it, any kinks the initial ones have should be ironed out in the second generation.

The G5 and I will be ready for each other right on time, LOL. THEN, I'll expect it to last me at LEAST five years, if not more. I'll probably hang on to my G5 until technology changes so significantly that to keep my G5 would take me into the territory of the law of diminishing returns, thereby forcing me to change. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands, LOL!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Like most others, I'd agree and say get the eMac. It's a fast, slick little computer that won't drain your bank account (and when you're in school, that's really important). If upgrading isn't that important to you, then the eMac can do everything you need. Also, in case nobody let you know, you might want to get Keynote as well. College has become straight PowerPoint presentations and with Keynote, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

Like most others, I'd agree and say get the eMac. It's a fast, slick little computer that won't drain your bank account (and when you're in school, that's really important). If upgrading isn't that important to you, then the eMac can do everything you need. Also, in case nobody let you know, you might want to get Keynote as well. College has become straight PowerPoint presentations and with Keynote, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Thanks for posting! I've seen Keynote on the various Mac sites, but it didn't look like it was a presentation program like PowerPoint. For some reason, it just didn't come across that way to me...and I read the summary, too.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look more into it.

Edit: Doesn't AppleWorks come with a presentation program? I'll check it out, because I thought it did. The eMac comes with AppleWorks preinstalled, so I might now have to get Keynote.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think Appleworks may have some sort of presentation module, but it's not anything like PowerPoint IIRC.

And Keynote is a great presentation program... themes are much nicer than PowerPoint in my opinion, transitions are great, and just the overall look/feel is solid. It's a $79 edu purchase, so not too pricey of an add on.

If you have the time, check out the sample "Keynote in action" movies on the Keynote page on the right column:

http://www.apple.com/keynote/
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks! I did go take another look at Keynote, and I now remember reading about it before. Unfortunately, I'm on dial-up, so looking at a movie is not going to happen, no matter how short it is, LOL.

I don't know if I'm going to need it for my program. Besides, I'm keeping my current PC as a backup, and I already have MS Office 2000 Pro on it. I'm figuring that if I need presentation capability I can scoot over to it and do what I need to do.

I really would rather jump on that $99 FC Express offer, before it ends. My school is taking *forever* with getting my financial aid refund check to me. If they make me miss this sale, I'm going to give a lot of people a piece of my mind. If I end up needing Keynote, I can always get it later.

Unrelated question: Have you ever known anyone that bought a Mac from a foreign reseller to save money (exchange rate)?

Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I think Appleworks may have some sort of presentation module, but it's not anything like PowerPoint IIRC.

And Keynote is a great presentation program... themes are much nicer than PowerPoint in my opinion, transitions are great, and just the overall look/feel is solid. It's a $79 edu purchase, so not too pricey of an add on.

If you have the time, check out the sample "Keynote in action" movies on the Keynote page on the right column:

http://www.apple.com/keynote/