Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Is it possible for Forums to use avatars? This is vBulletin Powered so it should work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It would work, but we're not going to do it. We even did a trial run on moderator/admins and nobody was a fan.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Too bad I want an avatar, oh well.

• Reply 4 of 29
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingJobs

Too bad I want an avatar, oh well.

sorry, you cant upload images from geocities, they suck
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

sorry, you cant upload images from geocities, they suck

Then what should I use?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    well i would recomend .Mac but that costs money, i dont know of any better free service
  • Reply 7 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i don't want avatars for everyone, but i DID like administrators and moderators having them. conveyed a sense of "don't f*ck with me" that is sometimes necessary and may be overlooked in a simple text title.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You rock, rok.

• Reply 9 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I voted yes, but If I Were Admin, I'd allow for avatars only 20x20 or smaller in size.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wow i guess no avatars, look at the votes it is 0.06% to 99.94% and there were 5113 votes, something looks fishy here to me
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

wow i guess no avatars, look at the votes it is 0.06% to 99.94% and there were 5113 votes, something looks fishy here to me

A lot of Votes, is that a record?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Considering there's only 118 total views to this thread, I'd say yes, that's a record.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Considering there's only 118 total views to this thread, I'd say yes, that's a record.

hmmm... what is the little Mac OS X down arrow next to the thread that only a few threads at the top have? Is that a vbulletin pin?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    no it lets you see the new posts
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

no it lets you see the new posts

oh I see
  • Reply 16 of 29
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I liked it when the Mods and Admins had them too. Especially since they were reasonably sized. I wouldn't want everybody to have them, I think the mods and admins have a good idea about what is a tasteful avatar, while a lot of people here would not.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I think the mods and admins have a good idea about what is a tasteful avatar.

Judging by what they used as avatars before, I must beg to differ.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I don't mind avatars, but I think that they should be reserved for people that either have A) over 1000 posts, or B ) paid to support the site.

the second option would only be applicable if the site had a supporting member program.

but, at AI, I think avatars would be tacky. There is a sophistication about these forums, I think it's the color scheme(it sure as hell ain't the users that makes me not want avatars.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    You think *our* avatars were bad, der Kopf?

I take it you haven't seen many other sites with avatars and signature images enabled. Take a look at either of these:

http://homestarrunner.net/melonade/v...ic.php?t=10068

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21931

That doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of awful avatars there are out there. I usually don't frequent such forums; so, I just don't have any really good examples for you.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Actually, I don't think that the avatars we used before were that bad. They were reasonably sized, easy on the eyes, no offensive content.