If powerbooks don't come by september...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    eh I have TIbook I use for FCP and Maya occasionally, I can honestly say the workspace of Maya is faster on my powerbook than on my P4 2.3 PC, tho the pC renders fasters
  • Reply 82 of 109
    I don't think Apple is very concerned about pleasing their current user base since it is almost guaranteed that most Mac users are too scared/appalled to make the switch to windows. However, as a long-time computer user/programmer, I've been considering the switch to MacOSX. When you buy a Windows machine, sure it'll be outdated soon but atleast you know you got what was the best on the market at that time (let's say that month). With Apple, if you buy now you aren't getting the best thing that's available (in terms of components) you're getting older stuff that will be quickly outdated. My patience for waiting for a 15" PB is coming to a head and with alternatives like Centrino in a 15.4" from Compaq (X1000) and Dell's Inspiron 8500 available, it's becoming harder and harder to wait.

Main point: Apple isn't alienating current customers by not revealing when the PB 15 is coming out but it's more than likely losing possible switchers.

david
  • Reply 83 of 109
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    OK, everyone. This is the last confimation I needed.

This message has been posted in other threads.

Today I went to FNAC in a Europe country.

I was looking for a 12" combo. They told me that their stock have 2 machines and that there were in other stores of FNAC.

After this, the employee told me that after this two been sold that no more like this actual ones would come into their stores. He said that the machine is going out of be out of line in the market.

Then I asked if their will be a similar model after their stock run out of 12" combos. I got the information that this current model is being discontinued and that very soon, during August/September there will be a revised 12" combo. And this also means a revision in the laptop line of Apple.

So, everyone old your horses. If you could wait a few more weeks just do it. And to confirm this information, every reseller in this Europe country are saying that after the machines they have in stock, this current computers with this specs wont came again.

The long awaited PowerBook revision is very near,

jdl
  • Reply 84 of 109
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I'm buying on 30th September. That's the last day of Apple's offer of 10 months interest free credit.

Alas, the fact that an offer ends usually implies new models the next day. But I need the credit, so that's what I'll do.

I'm after a 12" powerbook. The promotion says it applies to 12" powerbooks with superdrive and applecare.

Amorya
  • Reply 85 of 109
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heythisisdave

I don't think Apple is very concerned about pleasing their current user base since it is almost guaranteed that most Mac users are too scared/appalled to make the switch to windows. However, as a long-time computer user/programmer, I've been considering the switch to MacOSX. When you buy a Windows machine, sure it'll be outdated soon but atleast you know you got what was the best on the market at that time (let's say that month). With Apple, if you buy now you aren't getting the best thing that's available (in terms of components) you're getting older stuff that will be quickly outdated. My patience for waiting for a 15" PB is coming to a head and with alternatives like Centrino in a 15.4" from Compaq (X1000) and Dell's Inspiron 8500 available, it's becoming harder and harder to wait.

Main point: Apple isn't alienating current customers by not revealing when the PB 15 is coming out but it's more than likely losing possible switchers.

david

i buy apple mostly for its software and OS versus hardware. i dont like Windoze apps and I don't like windows OS. simple as that
  • Reply 86 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Smart post, above. Finally, someone who sees it the way I do.

The hardware, while cool and certainly important, is the last link in the chain, as far as I'm concerned. It's the OS and other things like that which make me a Mac user.

That's why I've said that, given a choice, I'd honestly take a 500MHz G3 iMac with OS X and the iApps over some massively tricked-out 2GHz P4-equipped Windows-based PC.

I wouldn't be comfortable or productive, so all that speed/power is useless. I'd STILL get more done (me, personally) on the little iMac...just because it's "home" and familiar. And I really don't even have a desire to learn or switch.

Dell or Gateway could come out TOMORROW with a laptop that in every single way matches (or surpasses) what we're expecting from this aluminum 15" (802.11g, Bluetooth, FireWire 800, USB 2, ample hard drive, DVD-burning drive, 512MB RAM stock, 64MB graphics, light and thin aluminum case, easily accessible ports and innards, etc. and sell for $1999.

But that one little pesky issue of it not running the Mac OS would be enough to make me never give it a second look. Sorry.

That's why when I see people whine and leave (or threaten to leave) the platform over some silly hardware shortcoming, my first, honest inclination is to think "well, they just don't get it...", followed by "don't let the door hit ya, pal...".

Might be wrong, but it's the truth.

Those of you truly needing massive power/speed/horsepower (due to your job or whatever: animation, rendering, scientific stuff, 3D, high-end video, etc.), I understand. And perhaps you should look elsewhere because there are indeed faster, more robust offerings out there. I don't have a beef with you...those are legit concerns. Apple may come up a bit short in those particular areas. I don't know, but I'm willing to trust others on that.

However, anyone doing graphic design (standard print and web, and all the apps those two things entail), using the iApps, doing writing, just "dabbling" around, FCP, surfing, e-mailing, research, video, music, etc., if you honestly aren't served by a current Mac of some sort, then you're just a pathological gearhead and spec-whore, forever looking for the biggest, fastest, highest number, bragging rights, etc. You're NEVER going to be satisfied with anything Apple releases, so yes...PLEASE go buy a PC and leave us alone.

I can't even deal with that type of person.

• Reply 87 of 109
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Under what circumstances does someone need a laptop absolutely NOW!!! if in a few weeks a new better is coming out. after a few months you will kick yourself for not waiting. to use a substandard machine(WINDOWS) reminds you every execution that you pulled the trigger too early. If this was a car, we all think they were nuts unless super mega deal, laptops savings now vs a few weeks???? maybe save big bucks but then again you get the biggest savings when new ones come out and old ones are in inventory there is another reason to W-A-I-T!!!!

The only reason i have a dell, is because i download images from work, the teleradiology software is non web base and by dial up very slow. some exams take 45min to download, where broadband is 3 minutes. well they will eventually go to webbased/ browser based system and i can use any laptop...BINGO. i get my apple. windows is a poor substitute new confusing system blah blah blah. i have to wait anyway. but i will get my wife around christmas a laptop for her ebay so i plan on waiting anyway.

If you feel a laptop lasts about 3+ years you are willing to screw up 3 years of use and frustration for a few weeks.

WE ARE AN IMPATIENT SOCIETY.

Now when christmas comes and AI says something is coming out in a few weeks, maybe i'll wait especially if it's a g5 varient.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

[B]Smart post, above. Finally, someone who sees it the way I do.

The hardware, while cool and certainly important, is the last link in the chain, as far as I'm concerned. It's the OS and other things like that which make me a Mac user.

That's why I've said that, given a choice, I'd honestly take a 500MHz G3 iMac with OS X and the iApps over some massively tricked-out 2GHz P4-equipped Windows-based PC.

I wouldn't be comfortable or productive, so all that speed/power is useless. I'd STILL get more done (me, personally) on the little iMac...just because it's "home" and familiar. And I really don't even have a desire to learn or switch.

Dell or Gateway could come out TOMORROW with a laptop that in every single way matches (or surpasses) what we're expecting from this aluminum 15" (802.11g, Bluetooth, FireWire 800, USB 2, ample hard drive, DVD-burning drive, 512MB RAM stock, 64MB graphics, light and thin aluminum case, easily accessible ports and innards, etc. and sell for $1999.

But that one little pesky issue of it not running the Mac OS would be enough to make me never give it a second look. Sorry.

That's why when I see people whine and leave (or threaten to leave) the platform over some silly hardware shortcoming, my first, honest inclination is to think "well, they just don't get it...", followed by "don't let the door hit ya, pal...".

The point isn't that Mac users are going to leave the Mac world, Mac users are more fanatic than any Linux/Windows person could ever be. The point is that Mac is losing switchers (students particularly who btw DO care about getting the most recent machine) because bang for the buck is important to a lot of people. This SHOULD worry Mac users because face it, Mac owns like 3-4% of the market, this doesn't really give Apple/Mac users the ability to be so complacent about their platform.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

david

You've raised several important points.

First, regarding components, I think that Apple tries to be fairly up-to-date regarding components. Look at the just announced G5. It has serial ATA, optical audio I/O, FireWire 800, capacity for 8GB RAM and a cutting edge CPU. You also generally have some options with the towers to use a newer graphics card.

The PowerBooks are more challenging because the user cannot change anything beyond the memory, hard drive and airport card. Apple may not use the very latest GPU in the top-of-the-line models but close to it. I would add that Apple seems to have far and away the best LCD displays of any laptop maker. The others are catching up but Apple still has the lead. I recall being in Japan where they had literally dozens of laptops on display on one or two large tables. Some were so muddy you could hardly see any colors yet they still claimed 24 bit full color. The Apple displays have always been the brightest, clearest around.

What is a problem regarding components is that only Apple makes Apple computers. This means that the products are updated roughly once a year with one or two "bumps" in between. In the wintel world with dozens of manufacturers someone is always coming out with newer product.

Finally, with regard to the 15" Al PB, I am sure that if Steve could wave a wand and have them out tomorrow he would do it. There is no benefit to Apple in delaying the release. Perhaps it is due to Motorola's delays. Perhaps it is due to another vendors delays. It might even be some internal engineering problem. I sincerely doubt that it is an intentional delay.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    I think it's probably Motorola and the chips, because, yeah...I'm sure Apple isn't nuts about these long dry spells any more than we are.

Just always seems to be a hang-up in that particular area, doesn't there? I mean, this wouldn't be the first time things have gone slightly sideways due to them.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

The point isn't that Mac users are going to leave the Mac world, Mac users are more fanatic than any Linux/Windows person could ever be. The point is that Mac is losing switchers (students particularly who btw DO care about getting the most recent machine) because bang for the buck is important to a lot of people. This SHOULD worry Mac users because face it, Mac owns like 3-4% of the market, this doesn't really give Apple/Mac users the ability to be so complacent about their platform.

Never underestimate the fanatacism of users of any platforms. Linux users are the most extreme in my experience though. And just to stay on topic.. I'm not a Mac owner yet, I will be soon though almost certainly. I'm torn between savings and power though. Argh. To wait or not to wait? Damn you Motorola!
  • Reply 92 of 109
    Quote:

I'm hardly "complacent" about the situation...I'm as bummed as anyone. But I'm not a nailbiter and a "sky is falling" guy by nature and to hear people who are farting around with Flash or playing with Photoshop filters or whatever (and other than that, surfing, e-mailing and using iTunes) claim "I can't get work done on a 1GHz Mac..." just gets on my wick a bit, that's all.

Nobody wants this new aluminum 15" PowerBook more than I do...but I'm not going to bolt the platform if it's slow to arrive. If things ever got REALLY crunchy, I'd just buy the 12" and wait to see what 2004 or so brings.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Rumor has it that there are more delays with Motorola... it looks like the new Powerbook line Up-Date won't be for a few more months.

You know, I hope Apple decides to for go the Motorola up-date and just jump into the new IBM processor. Just delay the Powerbook Up-date until Christmas time. This will keep all those anticipating a purchase waiting and the G5 will grab a lot of attention for Christmas sales.

Apple has already missed the crucial Back-to-School sales period and will have to count it's loses. But they can capitalize on them buy having one HUGE upgrade near the end of the year.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Rumor has it that there are more delays with Motorola... it looks like the new Powerbook line Up-Date won't be for a few more months.

You know, I hope Apple decides to for go the Motorola up-date and just jump into the new IBM processor. Just delay the Powerbook Up-date until Christmas time. This will keep all those anticipating a purchase waiting and the G5 will grab a lot of attention for Christmas sales.

Apple has already missed the crucial Back-to-School sales period and will have to count it's loses. But they can capitalize on them buy having one HUGE upgrade near the end of the year.

It is important to remember that Apple has been giving away free iPods with powerbook purchases to students, so it isn't as if Apple has nothing to offer students. Giving a free iPod to a student is like giving free crack to a junkie.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    gunnmjkgunnmjk Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Ooo, I don't see it that way at all. I see it quite the opposite: the aluminum models are such an improvement over the 15" TiBook (the surface itself, the hinge, AirPort reception, easily-accessible ports, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, faster RAM, etc.) that I think those things combined with this 7457 would make for a delicious 15" PowerBook experience!

I bet the next round of PowerBooks (all three models aluminum and sporting the 7457) will remain at - or VERY close - to where they are now, price-wise.

I'm also in the same situation. When buying a powerbook, I think it is important to get the best one that you can afford at the time, because they are much more difficult to upgrade. The aluminums do have so many nice features that the 15in Ti just doesn't have; however, the 12in. screen just looks dinky, and girly to me. Not to mention that having it in my dorm, I will want to take advantage of the combo drive, and watch DVD's and be able to actually see what's going on. The buy a bundle apple offer to save up to $300 on a pbook, ipod, and printer ends on Sept. 27. I don't beleive there are going to be any updates until then unfortunately. I start school Aug. 25, and after reading negative feedback about the 15in models all over the place, I'm just unsure of what to do.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    gunnmjkgunnmjk Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

It is important to remember that Apple has been giving away free iPods with powerbook purchases to students, so it isn't as if Apple has nothing to offer students. Giving a free iPod to a student is like giving free crack to a junkie.

Uhm, they arn't giving away free iPods. Maybe you are the junkie =P

It's $200 off mail-in rebate w/ purchase of a pbook
  • Reply 97 of 109
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gunnmjk

Uhm, they arn't giving away free iPods. Maybe you are the junkie =P

It's $200 off mail-in rebate w/ purchase of a pbook

Fine, sue me. $200 off means that you get an iPod for $99. I blow more than $99 when I hit the sushi bar, so yes, I am a sushi junkie, and at $99, the things are practically free.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I thought you could buy any Mac and get $200 off an iPod? Maybe not...
  • Reply 99 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Just delay the Powerbook Up-date until Christmas time. This will keep all those anticipating a purchase waiting and the G5 will grab a lot of attention for Christmas sales.

Are you serious? Firstly, Apple never updates models at Christmas time. That's what MWSF is for two weeks later. Besides, the Albooks will be 11 months old by then and the TiBook 14 months old. Not gonna happen.

Powerbooks will be updated at the Paris Expo at the latest. Even if the actual ship date ends up being later, Steve must announce them at his keynote.

Oh, and you managed to spell the word update as "Up-Date", "Up-date" and "up-date" in one post.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Where's LoCash when you need him?