OS X or Windows?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Glad to hear that things are going smoothly for you. But, you know, your computer never needs to be shut down. Sleep is your friend. Seriously. They use very little power when they sleep and they wake up instantly. Try it. You'll like it.

I never put my machines to sleep, except the laptop, for some reason, all my macs(except laptop even after clean install, pram zapping, ect) lose their network connections when sleeping.

2 old imacs, 1 new imac, g4 cube, and tangerine ibook(only one that doesnt lose connection).

to get it back you have to reboot the machine.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

X or Win?

Win of course.

• Reply 23 of 27
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sushiism

hmm is xcode gonna be free or not?

Yup. Always has been, always will be.

I can't agree more with using Obj-C over C++. If you take the time to learn it, and forget enough C++ ways of doing things, you'll find that you write better code. If you find a Mac to play around with, see if there is someone around who is familiar with the dev. tools and have them show you around.

As for gaming, only about 1/4 of the games available for Windows get ported to OS X. Although the platform is certainly a lot better off now that it was in the mid 90s, there is still a long way to go. I recommend keeping your PC around, or doing a mix of Mac and console games. It all really depends on your tastes.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    ahhh thats jolly nice of them, if id made it id be real tempted to make it a pay version and project builder a free one or something

ahhh jsut buy a console, something like a gamecube with real games like ikaruga bwahah should easily afford one with the money you save from not paying for dev tools
  • Reply 25 of 27
    rampelrampel Posts: 4member
    Just my opinion for what it's worth:

1. Don't switch. Keep BOTH platforms.

2. Go for the Cheapest PC solution that will satisfy you.

3. Go for the most Expensive Mac machine that you can afford.

4. Use Broadband (cable / DSL).

5. Connect both machines on a Lan and share docs + whatever.

6. Use the PC for what it's doing best.

7. And the same for the Mac.

I'm using both platforms since Win 3.1 and MacOS 7.1

There are always things I'm doing only on the PC and the same goes for the Mac
  • Reply 26 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampel

Just my opinion for what it's worth:

5. Connect both machines on a Lan and share docs + whatever.

I'm using both platforms since Win 3.1 and MacOS 7.1

There are always things I'm doing only on the PC and the same goes for the Mac

*sigh*

There are always the pR0n addicts who want it up on both screens.

Only thing PC's have over macs is games as far as I'm concerned, so unless your a gamer (and hardcore like UT2003, Quake and the other misc. games that come out aren't good enough), although I have no problem with you using both platforms, I would say it's not worth it to buy a PC IF it will limit the amount you have to spend on a mac...personal opinion though.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    The only thing pcs are good at are games and menial office tasks that if the world didnt have computers then you'd get the work experience kid to do.

But consoles are even better still for real games soo pcs are only really good for menial craptasks, and thats only because they have office/access and other nonsense