Apple Font??!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On Apples webpage, the very first page that comes up on www.apple.com. What's the name of the font that says,

The Power Mac G5?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Adobe Myriad. You can buy it from Adobe's web site.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1706.jhtml
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Adobe Myriad. You can buy it from Adobe's web site.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1706.jhtml

Brad - How do you find this stuff out?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Take note that the text you specified is in bold.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    On another note, where can you get the default Apple font? Or if we already have it, what's it called?

(The font I'm talking about can be seen in the 'About This Mac'. "Mac OS X'..)

Jimzip
  • Reply 5 of 24
    That was the old official font that is still used in the "Mac OS X" text. It's a custom variation that is very similar to Adobe Garamond with tighter kerning that some call Apple Garamond.

I believe there is a copy of it hidden in the setup assistant in Mac OS X, but I don't recall exactly where the resource is.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

That was the old official font that is still used in the "Mac OS X" text. It's a custom variation that is very similar to Adobe Garamond with tighter kerning that some call Apple Garamond.

I believe there is a copy of it hidden in the setup assistant in Mac OS X, but I don't recall exactly where the resource is.

He is lying, it is to my knowledge Brad knows just about everything related to OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

He is lying, it is to my knowledge Brad knows just about everything related to OS X.

Ah, you caught me.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/Setup Assistant.dfont

Copy it out, change the name to Apple Garamond.dfont, and add it to your Library/Fonts folder.

• Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Ah, you caught me.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/Setup Assistant.dfont

Copy it out, change the name to Apple Garamond.dfont, and add it to your Library/Fonts folder.

Thank you Brad, I knew you were holding out on us.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Oh that is sooo cool.

Thank you Brad.

This community ROX! (Hmm, usually I'd put 'Rocks!' but 'Rulez' seems to be more popular over 'Rules', so what the hey..) I think I shall be most at home here.

Thanks very muchness.

Jimzip
  • Reply 10 of 24
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Ah, you caught me.

Brad I typed this into the terminal:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/Setup Assistant.dfont

and I got this in response:

cd: Too many arguments.

What did I do wrong?

PS - I couldn't find that file using the finder - I don't know how to access the Contents folder using the GUI. Are we meant to be able to access it this way?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/Setup Assistant.dfont

What did I do wrong?

PS - I couldn't find that file using the finder - I don't know how to access the Contents folder using the GUI. Are we meant to be able to access it this way?

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/

Then right-click (or Control-Click) and you will see "Show Package Contents"

Click on that and a new window will open

...then continue like normal
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    This is all really great, (Brad, I can't believe how much you know about OS X) but I Jaguar won't allow me to modify my fonts folder. (Alot like it won't allow me to modify my ftp server )
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmitch

but I Jaguar won't allow me to modify my fonts folder. (Alot like it won't allow me to modify my ftp server )

pardon my intrusion on the thread brad:

regarding your fonts folder;

first off, which fonts folder? In osx there are I think five if I am not mistaken. You may need to be logged in as root to edit certain font folders in which case I would highly recommend against editing what you have itchy-ideals for. (just copy it out to the desktop)

regarding modding your ftp server;

ftp you are hosting from your running mac or an remotely hosted server? Use a real ftp client, theres a thread around here if I'm not mistaken that I think most votes have been thrown to Transmit.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmitch

This is all really great, (Brad, I can't believe how much you know about OS X) but I Jaguar won't allow me to modify my fonts folder. (Alot like it won't allow me to modify my ftp server )

YouAccount/Library/Fonts is editable by you and where you should install the font so you can acess it.

/Library/Fonts is where you install it for all users to have access to it

The later will probably only give you acess to it if you are an admin because it is owned by the system and admins can read and write also. Login with an admin account or as root to put something into there.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Brief crash course if the Library inheritance system:

There are three levels of Library folders:

/System/Library

/Library

/Users/yourname/Library

The first is what Apple gives you. The contents here apply to all users. Users should *never* touch what is inside this folder. It should always remain "clean" and safe. Contrary to what ast3r3x said, you should never enable and use the root account to modify the contents here. Only experts with the system should even consider enabling the root user. Using the root user opens up vulnerabilities and may cause odd Finder behaviors for other users among other things.

The second should only be writable by administrative users. Like System, its contents apply to everyone, but if there are ever problems and the system has to be booted into safe mode for repairs, this Library will be ignored and only the known safe items in the System folder will be loaded.

The third is the preferred folder for installing things on a per-user basis. Contents of this folder only apply to the user it belongs to. It too would be ignored in safe mode.

Does that help?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    So I had the right spot, but wrong privilege?

Everyone should have admin accounts unless your a child. (my opinion, probably wrong)

...perhaps I shouldn't try to help people, and let that up to the omniscient Brad
  • Reply 17 of 24
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Yes, very much Brad, thank you. I think I'll stick around here for a little while and learn about os x. I can't bear to believe it, but I've been a windows user for over 5 years now. Ironically, my first computer was a Macintosh, and I loved it. But, I figured everyone else had windows so that was the thing. So now I know windows in and out. Well, I've gotten smarter. Apple rules.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

So I had the right spot, but wrong privilege?

Everyone should have admin accounts unless your a child. (my opinion, probably wrong)

...perhaps I shouldn't try to help people, and let that up to the omniscient Brad

If you ask me, every account should be Admin, even the kid's, but Coreservices sould be roped off. In my experiences, tikes are morelikely to mess up your comp trying to gain root access than if they already have it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

What did I do wrong?

I know you answered this with a finder solution, but I would like to see more peeps using the shell.

You did 2 things wrong. First, when you are trying to use names in the shell, you have to quote or escape spaces. eq,

Quoted = cd "/A name with some spaces/"

Escaped = cd A\\ name\\ with\\ some\\ spaces

Tip: type the first few letters of the folder or file you want and hit tab. Nice iccle mac shell will finish the name for you if there is only 1 possibility. eg. type "cd /Sys"<hit tab>.

The second thing you did wrong was to use the cd command (change directory) and then specified a file - "Setup Assistant.dfont". You have to specifiy a directory or you will get an error.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Ah, you caught me.

Hi Gang,

Sorry to appear an idiot, but I must be missing something. Copy what out, this:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/Setup Assistant.dfont ?

With Command-'apple' ?

When I opened the actual folders I only got as far as Setup Assistant.app, which is not a folder, right?

Guess I have a lot to learn, huh?

Thanks.

Steve \