Sell me a Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My girlfriend's looking for a nice, cheapish Mac. So I thought, why not create a thread on AppleInsider and see if the friendly, cutthroat Apple community starts an underbidding war to have the wonderful privilege of selling her one? I also figured, how many of those AI folks have broken their computer fund pre-ordering a dual 2 GHz G5? This may be the opportune moment...

She's looking for a decent, general use Apple recent enough to work with an iSight. Software's a plus. She'd be a new convert to the Macintosh, so there's an added feel-good bonus for you.

and....Go!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

sell me a Mac

Fine, I have a 500 MHZ Pizmo for $2000 Dollars Cash.

PM me and we have a deal.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have a lime iMac. Lots of RAM and harddisk. $500.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    StarMax 4000/200 (Powermac 4400...or is it 7200?)

4GB HD!

96MB RAM!

60MHz System Bus

5 PCI slots

8X CDROM!

512KB Cache!

of course you'll have to purchase an upgrade card for it if you want to run OS X...and I can't imagine it would run very well.

$4000
  • Reply 4 of 10
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Ah, I see a few people have mistaken this thread for the one right above it, "I'm Establishing a Macintosh Museum".

Or, perhaps, the one below, which reads "I Have Way Too Much Money; Please Assist Me In Throwing It Away By Any Means Possible".

Honest mistake.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Or the "I'm Too Lazy To Look For One Myself" thread.

Try eBay, Dealmac, Smalldog, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Small Dog often has good deals on refurbs or new but one generation old machines. Give them a look see.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yep, SmallDog is great. Prices are normally pretty decent, and you get a 1 year warranty on refurb stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Yeah, but I might as well get it at the Apple store, as she'd get the edu discount. On Ebay, Apples manufactured in the last two years seem inexplicably to be priced above retail.

Had just hoped someone might see this and think "Hm, I am being forced to live in a dumpster outside of a Wi-Fi McDonald's thanks to my purchase of the new G5...maybe now would be a good time to get rid of -" etc.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Another shout-out for smalldog, and also for powermax.com. They were very helpful on a purchase I was considering. They sell used and refurb Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I pretty much always buy from Small Dogs.