in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is the Blue and White 350's specs:

Bus Speed: 100 Mhz

Data Path: 64 bit

RAM Type: PC100

Onboard RAM: 0 MB

RAM Slots: 4

Maximum RAM: 1 GB

Does that mean I can put 256 MB in each of the four slots MAX (256 MB x 4 = 1 GB)? Meaning It can't use 512 MB DIMMS? Or does it mean that It CAN use 512 MB DIMMS, but it ignores everything over 1 GB?

The Slot-Load iMac 350 is basically the same mobo, but with 2 RAM slots instead of 4. Yet, the iMac will ALSO hold upto a max of 1 GB (2 x 512 MB).

The reason I ask is because I own both a B&W G3 350 and an iMac 350 that I want to max out the RAM for Panther. Since they are both PC100 Macs, I figured I would buy a few sticks of RAM, but I want them both to have 1.0 GB without having extra sticks left over. Its a math class word problem! :0)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Blue and White G3s can have up to 256 MB of RAM in each slot. My brother has one, that's just how it works.

I believe that the 350 MHz iMacs (and faster) all have a max RAM of 1 GB, meaning they can take two 512 MB modules. But I've never used one so I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I believe that the 350 MHz iMacs (and faster) all have a max RAM of 1 GB, meaning they can take two 512 MB modules. But I've never used one so I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.

this is true
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Does that mean I can put 256 MB in each of the four slots MAX (256 MB x 4 = 1 GB)? Meaning It can't use 512 MB DIMMS? Or does it mean that It CAN use 512 MB DIMMS, but it ignores everything over 1 GB?

Didn't they teach this for your ACTC?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Yes, Luca is right. I have a B&W PowerMac G3. It has a maximum capacity of 1gb of memory. Although, you can put more memory into it, it will not make use of more than 1gb of it.

To max out the memory you need to put a 256mb stick in each slot. That max's out the memory to 1gb. Using 512 sticks in every slot would be wasting your money. Also, do not use two 512mb sticks. That is not the correct way to max out the memory on the B&W PowerMac G3. I dont even think it supports memory sticks of that size.

And one more tip for you. If you use do not max out the memory, put the sticks in the slots closest to the cpu. Leave the farther slots empty.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Didn't they teach this for your ACTC?

ACTC is basically an OS/Apple software technology exam (and a little networking). No hardware is covered. I used to be an Apple-certified tech in 1998. I have sort of forgotten all the intricate specs of Apples older hardware. But quiz me on the G5! Come on, do it! I haven't even seen one yet but I know all about it! :0)

Someday the G5 will be one of those moldie oldies:

"Hey, does anyone have one of those old G5s laying around? How much RAM can it hold? Only 8 GB right? Bummer..."