I'm ready to buy, what do I need?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I decided to hold off on the PMac G5 until next year when I head to college. To hold me over I am buying a PBook 12" with maxed RAM and 60GB HD. I will be using my brothers edu. discount. So IF I go to the store and buy a 12" PBook, 10GB iPod, and printer, I can still do the save a bundle promotion Apple is doing correct?

Also if I decide to go to an Apple Store, what do I need to prove that he is a student, a student ID I presume and what else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    well, if you're using HIS student id, you might need HIM as well...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Double check the price with tax before you buy. I get the edu discount but after tax the price was the same as online without tax. So I bought online. My edu will sell at the "institutional" price which is even less than the student discount. Back then they didn't cary the 12" PB. They are slow to update. But apple wont sell to a student at that price.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if he is getting the $200 rebate on the iPod... it is cheaper...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Double check the price with tax before you buy. I get the edu discount but after tax the price was the same as online without tax. So I bought online. My edu will sell at the "institutional" price which is even less than the student discount. Back then they didn't cary the 12" PB. They are slow to update. But apple wont sell to a student at that price.

With the recent individual price changes, I think the institution and individual prices are now the same.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

I'm ready to buy, what do I need?

I think that you need a whole shitload of money. If you don't have that, you can always buy my 500 MHZ Pizmo for $2000.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

...Double check the price with tax before you buy. I get the edu discount but after tax the price was the same as online without tax...

There isn't any tax online?!

Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

I think that you need a whole shitload of money. If you don't have that, you can always buy my 500 MHZ Pizmo for $2000.

Oh I have enough to buy the 12" now and the G5 later...just how to fund my college career is the problem haha.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

There isn't any tax online?!

I think Scott was referring to an online reseller (many of which don't charge tax except to the states they operate in, usually just a few states) rather than the online Apple store.

However, even at that, nothing quite matches the bundle edu deal that Apple offers right now
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Awww shucks. Yeah I have to buy from Apple to get the EDU discount plus I am maxing the RAM and HD so I can't go anywhere else.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    here's all the info you'll need

Individual and institution prices are the same.

You can get the Save a bundle promo w/ the education purchase(actually the Save a bundle promo is only for individual education).

The save a bundle is actually two parts, one being $200 off a laptop+ipod(excludes 12" ibook cd-rom).

the second is 99$ off a printer(can't rem. w/ what brand, i know the hp5550 is Free after the $99) when bought w/ the computer.

The good part is, you only have to fill out one form(real simple) and you don't have to get both the printer and the ipod (you can do one or the other).

About maxing out your 12" powerbook.

You can max out the ram in store. As far as the hard drive goes, AFAIK it can't be upgraded from what it comes with in store. There's only two models available, the combo drive and the superdrive model, both come stock w/ 40gb HDDs.

You might consider waiting to make your purchase if your state is having a

Tax Free window . Click the link and it'll have all the info. on states offering the tax free dates on computer purchases, and when they are.

• Reply 10 of 23
    Also you must purchase everything at the same time to do the "save a bundle" promo.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Thanks, they are not though, haha only like 4 states are, and PA isn't one of them. I guess Apple Online then if I want the bigger HD.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

I guess Apple Online then if I want the bigger HD.

Unfortunately, any changes to the stock configuration will require ordering from Apple online.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    If not already your plan, you should look into purchasing the ram and harddrive elsewhere. It is generally MUCH cheaper to buy Macs with the minimum configuration and then plug in the replacement HD and RAM yourself. You'll even have the originals left over in case of hardware failure.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

If not already your plan, you should look into purchasing the ram and harddrive elsewhere. It is generally MUCH cheaper to buy Macs with the minimum configuration and then plug in the replacement HD and RAM yourself. You'll even have the originals left over in case of hardware failure.

Perhaps I'll do this with the RAM but since I can't upgrade my HD myself without voiding the warrenty (which is alread short because of no AppleCare) I think I'll buy the HD from Apple.

Can you suggest a place for RAM?

Oh yeah oh yeah...shipping isn't free on the 12" is it?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Yes, it's free. I found this information, unbelievable as it may seem, at Apple's website. You should try taking a look at it sometime.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Isn't shipping free everywhere on the Apple store?

That's why I found it funny when they stamped "Free Shipping" on the G5 graphic.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Thanks, they are not though, haha only like 4 states are, and PA isn't one of them. I guess Apple Online then if I want the bigger HD.

my suggestion to you would be to do some research. PA had a tax free window last year. Dunno if they'll be doing it again this year.

Also if that's the case, then i'd look into a local reseller in PA, or at the very least going to a local apple store (KoP) and ordering it through them, as it'll still qualify as tax free.

I'll get back to ya in a bit, i was doing quite a bit of research on the tax free windows, and I've seen PA mentioned before.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    keep your eyes on this site if you don't mind waiting

http://www.taxfreepc.state.pa.us/tax-freepc/

they did have a tax free purchases on pc's in PA last year in feb..

nothing this year though. If/when they do it again, it'll be posted at that site.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by liquidh2o

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

see if you can't get a clarification on that.

AFAIK, the HD isn't user installable on the 12" powerbook. It is on the 15" and probably on the 17". ast3r3x, how far is New Hampshire from you? They've got tax free all year round. And they have an apple store. If it's only a couple hours, it might be worth the trip for a couple hundred bucks.