what color car to buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm buying a new used car and someone recently told me that you should get red because you are more likely to get pulled over. anyone ever heard anything like this?

i'm going to get a black, red (not burgandy) or white Mercury cougar. i guess if i can find the red color i want i'll get that. i've always wanted a white car as well but then i saw a very cool black cougar, though my last car was black

REd

white

black cool blue seats, cd player and instruments

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Red. You are more likely to get pulled over if you drive like an ass.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    grey.

forest green.

navy blue.

black.

anything but white or red.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    according to a recent Daily Planet TV story on car safety figures by colour,

the most visible colour is Safety Yellow (that lime yellow on most modern Fire Engines)

folks used to think Red was the most visible (hence old Fire Trucks), but studies show it isn't

(full disclosure: I used to have a Safety Yellow MGB)

anecdotally, (as far as the factory production choice for which colour...)

Black is the least visible, esp at night, (and usually best bodywork - shows dings)

White is the next most visible, except snow (usually worst bodywork - hides dings)

Quote:

The Canadian Automobile Association ranked the favourite car colours of drivers, as part of its 2000 Vehicle Ownership Survey. It also rated colours on their rates of collision.

Yellow cars had the highest rate of collisions, followed by black, purple, blue, silver, red, grey, green, burgundy, beige and white.

The car colour with the lowest rate of collisions? Gold.

Source: Canadian Automobile Association

now it should also be noted that most owners of gold cars are a bit silver themselves

most owners of red cars are a bit raw and overtestosteroned themselves.

accident figures (and tickets) reflect this.

young male driver in red car much more likely to get smokey's attention. ditto the black one.

go for the white one, IMO, unless you live somewhere big on Winter.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    yeah if i could find a yellow cougar i think i'd get that. they are really sharp

i live in michigan, lots of snow

actually i forgot i'd like go this blue/purple but i can't find one

blue

the yellow one is on the same page
  • Reply 5 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    can never go wrong with a black or silver car

I believe red colored cars = higher insurance
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

can never go wrong with a black or silver car

I believe red colored cars = higher insurance

i don't like silver, my parents have silver cars. i also was under theimpression red cars are higher to insure because they are more often stolen but i wonder if this is true. my parents have never heard this. i should have asked the dealer. i'm also looking into changing insurance companies, so i got some quotes online but none of the online quote systems asked about color
  • Reply 7 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    also, white cars have the best resale value.

as for not liking silver .... ...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I just bought a WHITE car in January. I recommend a white car because it's classy, yet on a Cougar will still be sporty. A nice combination of both.

I asked my insurance agent when I first got the car if the "red cars have higher insurance" thing had any merit, and he said no. It may just be an urban legend, or maybe some companies factor it in and others don't. Who knows?

But red cars DO get pulled over more -- especially sporty cars like the Mercury Cougar. DON'T get a red Cougar unless you take some perverse pleasure in getting pulled over by authorities.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    black; it just sets the right mood for stalking.

but the blue one was definitely purty.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I would personally get either black, silver, or red. I dont like white. Yellow is alright....but I would narrow it down to those 3...and not buy an american car.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't like white either. Makes me think of fleet cars. If you get a white Focus you may as well paint "ComEd" or "FedEx" on the side of it.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    White paint will probably also last marginally longer...It absorbs the least light, and what's it going to fade to, duller white? Oh no.

White is also a better color to have if you rarely wash your car like me. Black and metallic colors tend to make the dirt stand out.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Green and Gray are my two favorite colors. so those are my suggestions

Seriously though, I really like deep forest greens, or that "turtle shell" green of the honda elements.

you can't go wrong with black.

I think Red is a little bit played out though.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I saw this sweet arse green Supra on a website...dang I need to find that website again and post some pics...mmm Supra *homer drool*
  • Reply 15 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well, to be fashionista for a moment...

black cars do go with their shoes

but white car and black tire is just so... Coco

• Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by xenopii

black; it just sets the right mood for stalking.

but the blue one was definitely purty.

my wife just found me a blue/purple one low milage, i'm going to look at tomorrow it's not from a dealer but it's still under warrenty and sounds lke it's been well taken care of. so if it looks good i'm going to get the blue/purple. i just discovered they call it French Blue
  • Reply 17 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Aluminium is the best color avalaible for an Apple afficionado
  • Reply 18 of 24
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i love yellow cars. negative side: easier to get to the eye of the pissed off police. so easier tickets.

white.. too boring.

red.. umh, ok i think.

electric blue .. when ever i drive a car of that color, all the men feel the urge to pass me. so i drive faster

gold - the only color in cars that i hate. it looks just so bad. tasteless. showing off you have something .. like a lot of $ and no taste. i think seriously gold is the only color i would not want my car to be.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    White: what Scott said. Looks like a rental car. In fact, my most recent rental was a white Camry.

Black: Often looks sharp, but tough to keep clean and absorbs heat. Also some people might think you're a government agent.

Dark gray: I think a dark, rich, metallic charcoal gray looks really classy, although I know some find it staid and boring. I've seen some dark gray VWs, Audis and Chryslers that look really sharp.

Dark green: I like this color, but it's kinda dated now. Lots of cheap late-'90s cars on the road today with dark green. My '96 Civic was dark green.

Yellow: Looks nice on a Matchbox car.

Red: I like a nice medium red -- lighter than burgundy, but not a bright red either. I bought a 2003 Forester in "Cayenne Red" that I like a lot. Bright red works on something truly small and sporty, but other than that forget it. I've seen too many bright red Chevy Cavaliers on the road

Blue: Tough to go wrong with a deep, rich blue or indigo. We have a "Galactic Blue" Jetta that I think looks really good.

Silver: Looks nice, but everyone seems to have a silver car today.

Anyway ... among the three Cougars shown, I like the black the best.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I will never own another black car again. EVAR. It is the WORST to keep clean. It shows every flaw. It's horrible.

I had a silver Mazda, a black Altima, a Metallic dark red/maroonish Maxima and now a Polo Green GMC Envoy. My wife has had two silver Grand Ams (one got totaled after ten months and we replaced it....funny thing was, the color became more "white" between model years).