Processors by ibm so what do Sun want?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/32219.html

I can't see IBM being overly impressed if Apple were to jump into bed with Sun but it would make the mid range unix market interesting ....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I can see why Sun would want to hitch a ride on Apple in order to bring back it's low-end strategy from the dead, but why would Apple bite? They wouldn't.

As for IBM... IBM itself uses Intel Itanium2 (IA-64), Intel x86, and has plans AMD Opteron (x86-64). Why would they care about Sun latching onto Apple? They wouldn't be losing PPC sales, unless you think Apple's going to start using UltraSPARC III/i, IV, and V chips... If anything, it would probably put PPC into Sun's forward strategy.

EDIT: Also, Sun also uses both Intel CPUs in its low-end server/workstations and AMD mobile Athlon XPs in its x86 server blades, so adding PPC into the mix isn't entirely out of the question for them. Sun's message to its customers is this...you shouldn't care what brands of components may reside in your hardware, only that it works.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think its just that Sun would like to work with Apple - nothing else. Unless ofcourse we see a new super server... hehe
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Sun's got a problem, and that problem is that their future roadmap seems DOA. Both USIV and USV seem to be engineering disasters, buried in their own complexity. Right now a moderately-specced Blade 150 single-processor 650mhz USIII is more expensive than a dual 2GHz G5, not to mention the far more expensive (and up to dual 1.2) Blade 1000 series.

Perhaps PPC should be back on Sun's roadmap.

Keep in mind Sun and Apple were partners for a short time, just after the takeover. Sun, however, killed their OpenStep on Solaris project, and ended the partnership.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.