Going to Boston, any advice?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Going to visit Boston this weekend and I was curious if any of you have been or are from Boston. What would you suggest I not miss? I will mostly enjoy the historical sites and parks etc. as Boston has a bit of history. What should I see while there?

Here is a link to part of what I will see:

Boston Link

Thanks for your advice

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I just got back from boston a couple weeks ago.

I walked around all over, went to the commons and public garden, ate some food at various restaurants, visited cambridge and harvard(friend goes there) visited Berklee school of music, saw a concert there, hung out, went down to the wharfs, walked some more.

that's about it
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ariari Posts: 126member
    I would recommend a visit to either (or both) the Museum of Fine Arts or the excellent Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Go to Fenway. Get some seafood. Don't try to drive. Driving in Boston is kind of a zen thing. It's not about getting from point "A" to point "B". The best a newbie can do is to wander hopefully in the general direction you want to go. Of course while you are doing this the natives are smelling blood in the water. That part is not at all "zen".
  • Reply 4 of 21
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    If you like beer, go to the Sunset Grill and Tap

in Alston. It is at the Corner of Harvard and Brighton

Aves, just off the Green line. I miss BOS!

Also, go to Bunker Hill (I believe its in Charlestown)

and the USS Constitution is fun too. Old Salem on the

North Shore is kind of fun too (they do a reinactment

of the witch trials, but i'm not sure if that's seasonal

or not).

Of course, if the Sox are in town, you must go

to Fenway.

Thoth
  • Reply 5 of 21
    The Gardner museum is most definitely worth a visit. The MFA is great too, and if you let me know the day you want to go, I can get you a pair of free tickets. (Just drop me a PM) Make sure yiou find the Japanese Buddha Room at the MFA

I can't really think of much else. I mean, all I do here is really just hitting the museums and other galleries. If you're into some smaller galleries, there is Oni Gallery, the Diablo glass shop... and well, I guess the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) up on Boylston street is worth a visit.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Thank you all for your advice I leave from DFW early in the morning and should be in Boston around 11:00 am in Boston. I look forward to the cooler temperature and the history that is Boston. I will check out the Museum of Fine Arts and the Gardner Museum. Thanks again for the feedback!

Fellows
  • Reply 7 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm jealous FCiB. Still never been there but I can tell you one thing you shouldn't miss out on and that's the seafood grilles. If you like seafood Boston has some of the very best places to eat in the country. Check 'em out!

• Reply 8 of 21
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    This place looks very cool as does the entire Fenway Cultural District!!!

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

I hope I can hit many of these places!!! Looks fun!

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Go to Fenway. Get some seafood. Don't try to drive. Driving in Boston is kind of a zen thing. It's not about getting from point "A" to point "B". The best a newbie can do is to wander hopefully in the general direction you want to go. Of course while you are doing this the natives are smelling blood in the water. That part is not at all "zen".

when i drove in boston i got flipped off for not lettin' a guy run a red light!

later i asked for directions and they said go up two rotaries and turn left. what the hell is rotary? i thought it's what they called traffic lights. it's not.

drive out to cape cod on a friday afternoon or evening, that's a pip.

no don't do that.

also catch the witch museum in salem, when the diorama of the guy with all the rocks being piled him cries out "more weight!" that part kills me.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    go drinking with Jack. Apparently it's great times.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Go buy some tea. Dump it in the harbor.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Visit MIT, though not in Boston proper.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

Visit MIT, though not in Boston proper.

and see the ugliest campus in boston?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    MIT has a good media arts museum. Once you actually figure it out, their campus isn't so bad

And yeah, if I was going to be here this weekend, going out with me is a freaking blast You'd probably dig it at Saint or Vox. Barcode is a nice little place too.

But I'm going to be drinking in New York this weekend with this lady friend of mine, so sorry She's a phone sex operator to boot. Yeah, this weekend is going to be good to me...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I had fun at MIT. I had a conference there. I even stayed a night in the MIT hotel. The furniture was accented with green PCB. It was cool.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Pack and dress for rain. We're supposed to get it all weekend.

http://weather.boston.com/
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Going to visit Boston this weekend and I was curious if any of you have been or are from Boston. What would you suggest I not miss? I will mostly enjoy the historical sites and parks etc. as Boston has a bit of history. What should I see while there?

Here is a link to part of what I will see:

Boston Link

Thanks for your advice

Fellows

Boston sucks, stay away.

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I'm jealous FCiB. Still never been there but I can tell you one thing you shouldn't miss out on and that's the seafood grilles. If you like seafood Boston has some of the very best places to eat in the country. Check 'em out!

Personally, and being from the area, boston actually is quite sucky at seafood, most of the smaller towns have better seafood. in Fall River(where Emeral and I are from) Higsons blows away anywhere in boston. Legal Seafood is overpriced tripe. (of course, if you arent from the area boston is still better than the rest of the country, but locally it isnt anything big
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

when i drove in boston i got flipped off for not lettin' a guy run a red light!

later i asked for directions and they said go up two rotaries and turn left. what the hell is rotary? i thought it's what they called traffic lights. it's not.

I cant remember what they call them out of the new england area but a rotary is a section were multiple roads merge into a big circle, you ro around the circle until you find the road you are supposed to go on.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Eat chowder.

Some of the best I ever tasted, down on the docks there.

Enjoy, Fellows.