Apple Needs A Defragment Program By Apple!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello:

I'm a Mac user ever since my Centris 610 running System 7.0. Now I'm currently running OS X 10.2.6 on my PowerMac G4. My question is: Why hasn't Apple included a defragment program that comes standard with their Operating System. This would benefit all of us greatly and save us a great deal of money by not making us pay for Norton or TechTools. Even PC's come with it...That makes me mad.

I want to hear your guy's thoughts on this issue.

Thanks for your time!

-Wired Envisions

http://www.wiredenvisions.com

Mod Edit: Edited title for you - Jambo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Fragmentation in OS X isn't a problem like it was in 9. After a year of using my iBook DiskWarrior reported it as being less than 1% fragmented.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    I'm not certian why they never have and I know that I certainly would have like one. Presumably we now have unix tools to do the job, so I think the question is why no one has made a nice cocoa front end for one for boot CD's.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've never had a fragmentation problem. I don't really think Apple needs a defragment program. That's for third parties to deal with.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    How can you check whether your system needs defragging?

Can only DiskWarrior do this?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne Lau

How can you check whether your system needs defragging?

Can only DiskWarrior do this?

DiskWarrior is probably one of the only disk utilities that doesn't do that.

DiskOptimizer which you got with DiskWarrior 2 optimized the disk directory - not the files on the disk.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Well, Apple should include one, anyway, only to show that the disks are NOT fragmented. Doesn't even need a 'defragment' button (or only a greyed out one). Just for the Windows- and OS9-Switchers. :P

Edit: Of course you might still need a defragmentation app if you're booting into OS 9 from time to time and use applications there. But then again, this is going to be less and less the case, isn't it.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    What's a Deframent Program?

As far as a defragmentation program, as others have pointed out Mac OS X doesn't need one.

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 62
    How doesn't OS X need a defrag program? I don't think that optimizing the system does the same thing as defraging the individual files.

When OS X writes a file, does it keep it all together on the harddrive so that some parts of the same file arn't scattered all over the place?

Lets clear this stuff up.

-Wired Envisions

• Reply 9 of 62
    I used Drive 10 to defrag my drive about 2 weeks ago. I have owned my PB for about a year and a half and it seemed pretty well fragmented. No doubt it depends on how often you erase and add things, but for me it was to a pretty large extent. It took Drive 10 about 6 hours to do the job, but it worked well. Check it out: www.micromat.com
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Thats great that you are able to use Drive 10 to defrag your harddrive, but my point is, Apple show create their own defrag program and bundle it with the System Software so people wouldn't have to pay the 70 dollar price tag for Drive 10.

I just feel that the people at Apple are extremely smart and that this shouldn't be a huge problem for them.

So if anyone from Apple reads this...please include your own defragment software with OS X.

-Wired Envisions
  • Reply 11 of 62
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wired Envisions

Thats great that you are able to use Lightwave to create 3D animation, but my point is, Apple show create their own 3D animation program and bundle it with the System Software so people wouldn't have to pay the 700 dollar price tag for Lightwave.

I just feel that the people at Apple are extremely smart and that this shouldn't be a huge problem for them.

So if anyone from Apple reads this...please include your own 3D animation software with OS X.

-Wired Envisions

• Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

Why hasn't Apple included a defragment program that comes standard with their Operating System.

They don't want to kill each and every developer.

And if the app was bundled with the OS, you would have to pay for it anyway, Mac OS is not free.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

How doesn't OS X need a defrag program? I don't think that optimizing the system does the same thing as defraging the individual files.

When OS X writes a file, does it keep it all together on the harddrive so that some parts of the same file arn't scattered all over the place?

Lets clear this stuff up.

-Wired Envisions

When HFS+ writes a file it writes it on the largest available space on the harddisk which in the long run means that files don't get fragmented that often.

On PCs the file system start to write a file at the first available free space without looking at the size.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:

files don't get fragmented that often.

Even more the reason for Apple to include some kind of utility. I`m not about to pay 70 bucks for a piece of software I`m going to use once a year. Believe me, after a year, my HDs really needed a defrag.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Nobody has posted a car analogy? Well allow me.

A trailer hitch is very useful to some people. Yet including one on all cars wouldn't be logical. For the small minority that needs one, a perfectly suitable solution exists from third parties.

Software development isn't free, so inclusion of a seldom used and usually unnecessary feature would be a disservice to the software's customers and developers.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

DiskOptimizer which you got with DiskWarrior 2 optimized the disk directory - not the files on the disk.

You got that backwards.

DiskOptimizer does defragment the files on a drive, whereas DiskWarrior defrags/optimizes the directory.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Trust me when I say, there are good things on the horizon, and they're not from Apple.

• Reply 19 of 62
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Hey Giant:

You supplied some killer info to help clear this whole thread up. Thanks for all the info you gave all of use Mac Addicts. Thanks for everything.

-Wired Envisions