Troubles with a new router

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just recieved my Asante FriendlyNET FR1004 router in the mail, and I am already having problems with it. The set up as of now is as follows: A cord goes from the wall plug to my DSL modem. Another cord goes from said modem to the router (which is plugged into the wall as well). A third cord goes from the router to my airport, and the final cord goes from the router to the PC in the next room over.

Now this is all fine and dandy, except that the router gives no sign of life. Although it is plugged in , there are no lights on or anything. Nothing works and It had might as well be dead. I'm not dumb, I promise; but I have to ask "is this normal?" How can I breathe life into this gizmo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, if you're positive that there's power to the outlet to which it's plugged AND that the plug on the back is securely...plugged AND the power light still doesn't come on -- yeah, that's not normal. Send it back.

By the way, when you finally get it working, connect the Airport base station between the router and the modem. The network will act happier that way. It took me about 4 different tries with similar equipment to yours to get it right.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Well, the power light should always be on. As for the modem->airport->router->computer setup, wouldn't that cause problems with the computer using the airport's print server?

I have: Cable modem->Asante FR3004LC->Network Printer, Wireless hub, computer, Switch-> Computer 2-5->Encrypted wireless hub->3 Laptops. No problems as long as paper is in the printer and my cable connection is working.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Something very fundamental is wrong. The router is receiving no power or it is completely broken. No matter what the setup, if it is plugged into a working outlet, there should be lights.

I also have an Asante router, it has worked perfectly since day one. Sorry you're having trouble.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    check your AC adaptor I had the damndest time with a Dlink router, also make sure you have the right ones plugged in my boss incidentally once plugged the AC adaptor from the modem into the back of the router, and vice versa, screwed everything UP!!. hehe.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

By the way, when you finally get it working, connect the Airport base station between the router and the modem. The network will act happier that way. It took me about 4 different tries with similar equipment to yours to get it right.

I have an Asante router/switch and an Airport Extreme base station. I have the router connected to the DSL modem and the base station connected to one of the ports in the switch. This works fine. The instructions that come with the base station explain how to do this. An advantage is that I can turn off the base station and still use the wired network when I choose to be sure of not broadcasting via WiFi.