Some ad killing Safari?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I've been getting numerous hangs using Safari on to browse the forums today. Is there some crap-ola ad making it choke? I'm using 1.0 v85 in case someone's wondering.

I'd check to see what ad it is, but I can't because, well, Safari dies on me. SPOD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    See it just happened. I hit "post new thread" and it posted and was taking me to the page and SPOD. My CPU doesn't spike, Safari just hangs. I'm using firebird to post this now.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    one weak theory,

IIRC, there was a thread about the adserver seeming to deliver 'targeted' ads to keywords

this thread's ad was/is blocked by my identical safari and/or was 404 (blue ? icon),

but if your filter list didn't include tribalfusion, perhaps the source of the crashy ad, it's possible a particular piece of content ( and critically, a hard to reproduce piece of content ) could frustrate doubly.

some suggested sources of actually useful forensic info:

you could always dig through the history and activity windows

and of course, check the crash log in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log

assuming you've had crash logging enabled
  • Reply 3 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Ads shown based on the thread's content? That sure answers this thread. (Aquafire? Are you listening?)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It may very well be the ads. Lately the ads have been 404ing. Blame MacNN. No, ads are not selected based on thread content.

In the mean time, try installing PithHelmet and block the ads. If that works, we've found the source of the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It may very well be the ads. Lately the ads have been 404ing. Blame MacNN. No, ads are not selected based on thread content.

In the mean time, try installing PithHelmet and block the ads. If that works, we've found the source of the problem.

The administrator telling to cut off the site's source of revenue???

Seriously, though, is there a version of PithHelmet that works with Safari 1.0? I haven't seen it if there is.

edit: I found it.