Speech codes - Freedom or Fascism?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More and more lately it seems as if larger groups of students are running into trouble with campus speech codes. The first amendment guarantees us the right to free speech, and that if anyone should be able to practice this in an enlighted and higher minded manner, it should be our universities where the best and brightest are educated.

Instead we seem an increasing number of incidents involving speech codes, approval of campus speakers and clubs that indicate a single minded definition of diversity which is really a fascist form of political correctness run amok. Diversity of thought and speech is replaced with one acceptable mindset which happens to be mouthed by multiple groups of varying genders and ethnicities.

The ACLU has spoken out very strongly against speech codes. Two high profile incidents have involved harassment of speakers who happen to be African American, but conservative in their views.

Starr Parker

Mason Weaver

Wendy McElroy makes the case that the pattern of harassment regarding speech codes does not apply to all groups equally.

What do you think? Is censorship of groups you disagree with really in the spirit of the first amendment? Are some thoughts so dangerous they cannot be allowed to be expressed, even if there are no actions associated with them? Where do you draw the line?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Starr Parker

Well this had nothing to do with speech codes as far as I can tell. It was a group protesting a speaker. Do you have a First Amendment right not to be protested? Don't think so.

Again, not about speech codes, but I honestly can't tell what happened from reading the link. Sounds like someone tried to put up a flier without permission, or something. I don't get the stuff about interrupting a Bible study group.

These things seem bad in theory, but it seems to me that whenever you look into most of these cases, there's not much there there. I've been on college campuses for the past 15 years, and I just don't see this kind of thing happening.

It seems to be mostly about some conservatives trying to play the victim card.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Are you talking about the language that can or cannot be used on campus while delivering speeches ?

Or do you mean the PC ( politically correct ) language that is to be used by both students & lecturers & tutors in the presentation of talks, papers. etc...?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Frankly, when it comes to free speech, I think there should be as few restrictions as possible. It's a real slippery slope when you start putting limits on what you can and cannot say. The whole point of the first amendment is to protect the minority views that some people hold. There's no point to having free speech if you only protect the majority view.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This makes me think about when people say we need an "honest dialog about race in this country" when what they means is "white people need to shut up and listen to our silly abuse for once". Of course if I said that openly on my campus my faculty offer would be reexamined.

Oh crap. Maybe I shouldn't have told the truth about Saudi Arabia the the lunch table that one day.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Well this had nothing to do with speech codes as far as I can tell. It was a group protesting a speaker. Do you have a First Amendment right not to be protested? Don't think so.

Again, not about speech codes, but I honestly can't tell what happened from reading the link. Sounds like someone tried to put up a flier without permission, or something. I don't get the stuff about interrupting a Bible study group.

These things seem bad in theory, but it seems to me that whenever you look into most of these cases, there's not much there there. I've been on college campuses for the past 15 years, and I just don't see this kind of thing happening.

It seems to be mostly about some conservatives trying to play the victim card.

With the Parker example, is it free speech if a groups is allowed to intimidate and shout you down? The group mentioned forced their way onto stage and forced her to leave via a back exit.

The second example, the gentlemen had a flier about an upcoming campus event. In posting the information he had the police called on him. He was told by school authorities that he should have known he would cause a disturbance by being a white student among black students, which is bunk.

There are more examples but I didn't want to go searching all day nor post a dozen links. I remember a fairly famous one a few years ago where a Jewish student was reprimanded for calling some black sorority girls "water buffalo" or something of that sort which they took in a racial manner.

The Elroy article has a few links in it as well. It mentions a very common trend which is refusal to bring certain speakers on campus or recognize certain clubs which usually operate through a student union or make use or rooms available from student use fees.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

With the Parker example, is it free speech if a groups is allowed to intimidate and shout you down? The group mentioned forced their way onto stage and forced her to leave via a back exit.

It sounds like she gave her speech. They had a 10-minute demonstration during her question-and-answer session. Then they "congregated" (isn't that what people do in church?) in the front, so she left out the back door. Sorry, one has no First Amendment right not to be protested. If protesters truly don't allow a speech to be finished, they should be removed. But that would be the First Amendment issue, because the school/state would be removing them.

And it's still not "speech codes."

Quote:

The second example, the gentlemen had a flier about an upcoming campus event. In posting the information he had the police called on him. He was told by school authorities that he should have known he would cause a disturbance by being a white student among black students, which is bunk.

It sounds like bunk to me too. I just don't know what to say about it, because I don't get what happened.

But again, not speech codes.

Quote:

There are more examples but I didn't want to go searching all day nor post a dozen links.

Well, this is I think the problem. People rail against PCness, but when you look at specific cases, it's often smoke.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It sounds like she gave her speech. They had a 10-minute demonstration during her question-and-answer session. Then they "congregated" (isn't that what people do in church?) in the front, so she left out the back door. Sorry, one has no First Amendment right not to be protested. If protesters truly don't allow a speech to be finished, they should be removed. But that would be the First Amendment issue, because the school/state would be removing them.

And it's still not "speech codes."

It sounds like bunk to me too. I just don't know what to say about it, because I don't get what happened.

But again, not speech codes.

Well, this is I think the problem. People rail against PCness, but when you look at specific cases, it's often smoke.

You are correct that not all incidents involve speech. That is the issue with speech codes. The often go well beyond speech. They basically promise that certain groups of students are not allowed to be offended and they determine what is is offensive.

Here is a better article for the Hinkle issue. You will see it is quite horrible and is hardly someone seeking victim status.

Attempt to post a flyer,risk expulsion

Nick