Bush is a warmonger, and I?m a homosexual commie.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Kernel panic = damaged catalog file

\tOkay, here?s the deal. Today (technically yesterday) I had a kernel panic. After basically using OS X (10.1.5) for every waking moment for the last 15 months. This is the first time I?ve ever had a kernel panic. And it was a doozie. I read the ?press r to restart? and chuckle to myself as I press it and nothing happens. So I press the reset button...

I am greeted with one of the most terrifying sights one can imagine. A little flashing ?can?t find system folder? in the center of the gray screen. So I rummage around for a os 9 cd and boot from that, assuming that I could just run disk first aid and fix the problem (hey, it?s worked in the past). No dice. It turns out that I?m basically missing catalog entries 4 & 0 (whatever that means).

So I install, and boot X from my external hd, run disk utility, & get:

Quote:

Repairing disk "".

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Catalog file entry not found for extent

Repair completed.

?repair completed? yeah, sure, whatever.

Currently, I?m using said external HD, and although most of my important data is backed up, there are still some files that I would like to retrieve from my internal hd.

Because it?s quite late, I lack the drive to do anything drastic to try to repair this problem, and am requesting advice from you guys. And it would much appreciated (as long as I don?t get stuff along the lines of ?wipe out the drive and reinstall?)

I?m thinking more along the lines of how to repair the catalog file. And what software I would need. *nudge nudge* *wink wink*

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Alsoft Diskwarrior.

Norton Systemworks if you're feeling lucky.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    So here was I thinking that the reason you chose your post's title had something to do with the fact that your a genius to have discovered Bush is a warmonger....
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

So here was I thinking that the reason you chose your post's title had something to do with the fact that your a genius to have discovered Bush is a warmonger....

Didn't Clinton bomb Iraq also?

Sigh. Now we're off on a tangent.

In the future, please don't post such flammable topics like that - I'm sure there are some commie homos out there who would like to have a word with you.

So, now that we're in Tangentland, I'll just add

"Hail to our brave president George Bush."

And no one give me !@#$ for this - my father was born in Baghdad.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

"Hail to our brave president George Bush."

Yep, he's brave all right.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Alsoft Diskwarrior.

Norton Systemworks if you're feeling lucky.

Thanks for your advice oh great Kopf.

I've looked over the disk warrior site, and it looks like this is what I need. Of course, I don't have deep pockets. In fact, at the moment, I don't have any pockets financially speaking. So I guess I?ll just let my internal drive sit there until I have money to buy the software. *sigh*