new video out adapter for powermacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
this may be old, but its news to me....

<from g5 description on apple site>

You can also order a new adapter designed specifically for the Power Mac G5, the Apple DVI to Video Adapter. This new connector works only with the DVI port on each of the graphics cards designed for the Power Mac G5. It allows you to preview your work by connecting to S-video and composite devices ? like TVs, VCRs and overhead projectors ? with S-video or RCA (composite) connectors.

</from g5 description on apple site>

seems weird that this adapter would not work with any dvi equipped mac or otherwise. maybe it needs special support from the video card. i always assumed that the vid cards were bog-standard besides the adc connector and rom support.

nice to see analog tv video out supported fully on the professional line of computers without a second video card. We have finally caught up with my old powermac 7500 and iceBook!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

seems weird that this adapter would not work with any dvi equipped mac or otherwise. maybe it needs special support from the video card. i always assumed that the vid cards were bog-standard besides the adc connector and rom support.

All ATI and nVidia-GPUs have had s video out-option built in all along, but Apple have only utilized this feature in Powerbooks and iBooks until now. This time they do route the analog signalsthrough the DVI-port, something they should have done fot the past 3-4 years.