12" pb either insomniac or dodgy battery connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

Recently my pb has been doing some odd things. I usually put the screen saver on and shut the lid to get it off to sleep of a night time. It always used to start up fine the next morning.

Over the last couple of weeks it has been discharging completely forcing me to power on and boot to get it up and running. Once logged in the system date is back to 1st Jan 1970.

In addition to this when on charge the battery indicator in the menu bar changes to an empty battery with an X in it. When i reseat the battery it begins to charge as usual. I noticed that when i take the battery out to reseat it a small metal connector peg (just above the airport card) falls out as well, shouldn't that be attached?

I have checked the battery discharge rate and it appears to be linear with no sudden drops. I have an extended warranty but i was just curious if anybody had any thoughts.

I am at 10.2.6 and haven't applied any new patches/software for a while now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    When I took the battery out to give the serial number to Apple Care i noticed that it was very stiff to get out. On closer inspection the plastic at the top of the battery around where the pegs hold it in place had come away by 3 or 4 mm. Obviously just enough to make the connection loose. now i've snapped the battery casing back into place the laptop is back to snoozing in the usual manner.

I would still be interested to know if the metal peg should fall out so if any other pb users can confirm this ....
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Spoke to soon this morning the battery was drained and the clock was back to 1st Jan 1970. Is there an internal eeprom battery or something that maintains the system clock?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I am having the same problem with my grandmother's Bondi iBook (first generation) and my sisters 600 CD iBook (from the 700 series)

the weird thing is that they BOTH started behaving this way at the same time...

very very weird

how did Apple Care resolve the problem?

We do not have a valid warranty on either machine...

What app do you use to monitor battery usage?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    They sent out a new battery and it seems to be fine now. I'm not sure if it was just a connection problem. The little metal peg i mentioned in my earlier post is stuck to the battery unit on the new one so it had obviously come adrift. but i'm not sure if this significant.

the battery monitoring tool is called xbattery v0.61.. i picked it off of one of the threads in here but i don't have the link. its probably on verion tracker though. let me know if you can't find it and i'll have a dig around.