High speed internet access in NYC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I've been reading these forums for years now, and need a little advice. I am going to be studying in NYC this fall, and will need to set up my own internet access. The cabling company is time warner, and they offer aol, earthlink, road runner and a few others. I'm also assuming various dsl options will be available.

Does anyone here have specific experience or advice about this?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Cablevision isn't an option? Their Optimum Online service is pretty unbeatable. $45/month for 10megabits down/1 megabit up. [edit: $50 if no cable TV to go with it]
  • Reply 2 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    earthlink is the cheapest cable ISP on TW's line... im using it right now

TWC has been pretty good... but there have been some problems with reliability... but it only seems to happen when I am up at school... so the rest of my family has to deal with it...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i gotst rode runner from ole aol-tw in the citee, and it b kewl.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I also use Cable from Earthlink.

Besides being the cheapest cable provider, (especially if you don't otherwise want cable TV), you get unlimited dial-in access, which is useful if you happen to be elsewhere with a laptop.

I had a bad experience with Verizon DSL (very slow speeds, locked into a 1-year contract, poor customer service) and avoid them like the plague.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Cablevision isn't an option? Their Optimum Online service is pretty unbeatable. $45/month for 10megabits down/1 megabit up. [edit: $50 if no cable TV to go with it]

WHAT?!?!??! Are you serious? Those speeds for $45/month?!??!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

WHAT?!?!??! Are you serious? Those speeds for $45/month?!??!

yea, but Cablevision aint in Manhattan, just da bronx, queens, long island, and parts of brooklyn i think

it's quite nice
  • Reply 7 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Did you know it was $30/month until a couple of months ago? My folks live on LI and use Optimum, and my mother called me to vent about an outrageous 50% price hike for their cable modem. She tore some poor customer service rep at Optimum a new one, threatened to cancel their service and everything. I almost choked when she finally told me it was up 50% to....$45/mo. "You were paying HOW MUCH before???"
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I have Road Runner and the speeds and uptime is great. Though, I am not in NYC...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I live way uptown in Manhattan, and have Verizon DSL. It's not screamingly fast, but i negotiated the price down to $29.99 a month, which is pretty good for broadband. Uptime is good as well. I can remember two outages in the last 5 months or so, and neither lasted more than a few hours.

OTOH, my friend had Roadrunner, and it was extremely fast. However, it cost $50 a month.

-aoeu
  • Reply 10 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yea, but Cablevision aint in Manhattan, just da bronx, queens, long island, and parts of brooklyn i think

it's quite nice

no cablevision in douglaston...(in queens)

i don't think cablevision is anywhere except maybe the bronx (and longisland of course... the guy who owns it lives there... and has trouble with his cable hehe)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

no cablevision in douglaston...(in queens)

i don't think cablevision is anywhere except maybe the bronx (and longisland of course... the guy who owns it lives there... and has trouble with his cable hehe)

We've got it here in Rockland.