15" Ti Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about purchasing one of these significantly discounted machines. Do they really scratch up as much as people say they do? Anybody who has one, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I love it. Best laptop I've ever owned or used. I still baby it a little so it has no scratches - but I'm not as overly protective of it as I used to be.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I love it. Best laptop I've ever owned or used. I still baby it a little so it has no scratches - but I'm not as overly protective of it as I used to be.

Everyone says they scrath so much, but ive never see one sctracted up. I was just at compusa and they ha one out and i thought for sure it would be scratched, and it was in perfect condition.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I am a lot more careful with my Ti than I was with my old iBook, although a lot of that is the fact that there's a psychological difference between handling a $2,600 metal laptop and a $1,200 plastic one. But my iBook was scuffed to hell after a month; my Ti is still in great shape after a year. Just treat it well, don't do things like throw your keys down on it or use it as a cocktail tray.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Also....make sure you aren't wearing any rings or metals on your hands when you are dusting off the TiBook
  • Reply 5 of 17
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    I love my 15inch TiBook. It had numerous paint chips above the slot drive and around the edges. Apple took care of that and replaced the edges so it looks like new now.

But my buddy in Saudi Arabia can't get his tiBook chips fixed.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I believe that the last revision has differrent paint.

I'm not sure though.

I got mine 6 months ago, here and there a scratch but i have to get really close to see it. The bottom gets scratched more easily.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    one of the oldest machines over here (500MHz, 1st series) I use it every day for several hours, it traveled a lot - always being careful with it though... it looks fairly used and has a few minor blemishes.

This TiPb looks *much* better than a Sony Vaio 505FX (Magnesium) that I bought around the same time and is being used less. Go figure...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I have had my ti-gig for almost 9 months now and I only have a small chip on the corner of the flap on the back. It gets about 3-4 hours of use a day, looks brand new.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I have a G4 500MHz that i bought used. It has one small defect with the display(thin green line) and it is pretty scratched up but I only paid $300.00 for it. I also have the new 12inch PB that i do baby quite a bit.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I've had my Ti book for 5 months now and out of a 24 our day i'd say it's on for at least 20.

I can't understate how cool this machine is. It is the BEST laptop i've ever used. And I've ben working with PC's since 1991. I've used Compaq, Dell, HP, Toshiba laptops and they just don't compare in quality or fun of use. I also own a Dell Inspiron 3500. I bought it in 1999 and it's a dinosaur. I installed Linux in it jsut to mess around but, it's just not the same so now it's just sitting on a table looking old.

Back to the Ti....Everything you hear about it is true. Beautiful, awesome to use....Believe me....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    My dad just got a 12" PBook..Oh so sweeet..

I've got a 15" Powerbook.. One of the early models... If it had a better GFX hard, it would be the best machine I ever owned..

If you can get a good enough discount, I guess it's one of the newer ones, so I'd go with it.

Make sure you check the specs before you do though..

As for scratches, neverhad many. It's always be kept in the case though...

Jimzip
  • Reply 12 of 17
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    I have had two the early 667 and the rev c 667 dvi, The first chipped just sitting.The next had no problems that is till I tried to disassemble the screen (long story don't do it)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I've had my 500 for quite a while. I don't baby it at all and drag it everywhere. It has a bit of chipping across the hinges. It has a couple scratches on the bottom from sliding across the floor thanks to my wife. It has some addition blue ink lines complements of my children who are 3 and 1 respectively.

Any laptop is going to look worn over time. I would rather have paint chip off my Ti than the plastic pieces that have chipped off my friends Dell. His whole lower hinge has broken loose and he babies it too death. He works as a system admin and carries it around in a nice laptop case. Mine, a small light case that holds the laptop, powercord and that is about all.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

I am thinking about purchasing one of these significantly discounted machines. Do they really scratch up as much as people say they do? Anybody who has one, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Just don't keep it in your pocket with your keys and change.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    nadernader Posts: 1member
    Pardon my ignorance, but when NEMESIS refers to "significantly discounted machines" - what's that mean exactly?

I read one can now purchase Power-/iBooks at BestBuy.com which means 0% financing, but where pray tell, does one find a "significantly discounted" PowerBook?

My iPod's eaten up my iMac and it's time I finally upgrade to a real machine.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    I mean the current discount on the 15 in effect at the apple education website. Sorry for being vague.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nader

Pardon my ignorance, but when NEMESIS refers to "significantly discounted machines" - what's that mean exactly?

The bookstore .edu price for the base model Ti is down to $1800, with free AppleCare thrown in.