Electronic Music Thread--Round 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, it's been awhile since i've found a techno album that really overwhelmed me. Are there any out there that are worth looking into? Genres dont matter--in this thread, it's all good.

List and discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'd say just about anything by squarepusher, particularly though "music is a rotted one note" and "budakahn mindphone"

Also I'd recommend this trio add n to (x) they make really interesting analog techno, that is, they all use old moogs and stuff, they share drummers with stereolab. I would recommend an album, but in truth they just keep getting better and they are all good(except their first one is a little...unconventional)

On top of those I'd suggest you check out cornelius he is this japanese cat who makes his own stuff, produces, composes and plays all the instruments(electronic or real) he makes a very interesting combination of live instruments and electronic sampling and sequencing. Plus he has some really brilliant ideas.

Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack to Final Fantasy X, I don't care what anyone says, this is a damn good soundtrack, a lot of it is electronic, but there are also many tracks with live playing(guitars and stuff)

Just yesterday I was listening to Autechre, I hadn't listened to them in a long time so that was nice, autechre is really neat, but they do get terribly repetitive, If you are going to look into them get some EPs, they have some kick ass EPs.

That's all I'll mention now, but I am a big fan of electronic music and could certainly suggest others if you want more.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I just got cEvin Key's "The Dragon Experience," and Download's"III Steps Forward" CD. Both are quite good.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Don't know your definition of electronic but if you like a mix of sounds and genres to groove, dance or chill to, Thievery Corporation has some good stuff.

I recommend the Mirror Conspiracy or Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I dont really know anything about specific electronic music artists....but senior year of HS my boy got me on to Louie Devito and all of the NYC Underground Party volumes....pretty good stuff if you ask me. Also I have a few MP3s from Mike Macaluso.

Waitin for Jonathan to MURDER this post.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I've was listening to Juno Reactor's 'Shango' yesterday...forgot how much I liked it.

Also, in an odd alignment of the stars, I was thumbing through Apple's QT Trailers, and heard 'Pistolero' in the soundtrack to 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico'. Strange the way that works sometimes.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Baldwin Brothers - Cooking With lasers. I guess it's a few years old, but I don't listen to much electronic music.

Prior to that, I really enjoyed (and still enjoy) Whale - All Disco Dance Must End in Broken Bones.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I just heard Venus Hum in concert with the Blue Man Group. I really enjoyed them, and they had two powerbooks up on stage with them as well--so they get bonus points for that in my book. They have an odd combination of driving electronic music with lyrics about Montana and Lumberjacks.

The lead singers voice is incredible. She shound a little like an American Bjork, but her voice is bit more theatrical. She did "I Feel Love' with the Blue Men and it was awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack to Final Fantasy X, I don't care what anyone says, this is a damn good soundtrack, a lot of it is electronic, but there are also many tracks with live playing(guitars and stuff)

You know, I spent years trying to get my son to try piano, and he wouldn't. Then, a few weeks ago, he found a site where he could download the sheet music to Final Fantasy X--and now he's teaching himself. The music isn't half bad.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I want the link to that site
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I've was listening to Juno Reactor's 'Shango' yesterday...forgot how much I liked it.

Also, in an odd alignment of the stars, I was thumbing through Apple's QT Trailers, and heard 'Pistolero' in the soundtrack to 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico'. Strange the way that works sometimes.

yes. one of my favorites. goa kicks all kind of ass.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    10 Recent Faves

Decal 'Brightest Star' (Rotters Golf Club)

Various Artists 'Snow Robots Vol. 3' (Suction)

Christ 'Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle' (Benbecula)

Various Artists 'Music Vol 1 & 2' (Benbecula)

Plaid 'Spokes' (Warp)

Tipper 'Surrounded' (Myutopia)

Pole 'Pole 3' (Mute)

Skanfrom 'Soothing Sounds For Robots' (Genetic)

Ulrich Schnauss 'A Strangely Isolated Place' (Morr Music)

The Orb 'Bicycles & Tricycles' (V2 Japan)

The list veers between electro and melodic. Try 'em all.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I want the link to that site

The first site he found was:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mankow84/ff10.html

We later found an official version at:

http://www.gamemusic.com/

Just search for Final Fantasy X.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

...Tipper 'Surrounded' (Myutopia)...

Hey, do they also make a song called "On Condition"? I have "Tipper-On condition (Sour)" on my <Bill Nye>"Dry Erase Board of Songs to Buy"</Bill Nye> and can't find it ANYWHERE! I think it is good but it has been such a long time ago since I heard it.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Hey, do they also make a song called "On Condition"? I have "Tipper-On condition (Sour)" on my <Bill Nye>"Dry Erase Board of Songs to Buy"</Bill Nye> and can't find it ANYWHERE! I think it is good but it has been such a long time ago since I heard it.

Yes, it's the same Tipper.

'On Condition' is from the album entitled 'The Critical Path' - one of my favourite albums of all time.

Critical Path Reviews