Hand Shaking

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wondering how often you guys shake hands. (wow, exciting topic)

We just had an American guy visiting us (he somehow snuck over the border...) and I started to wonder if this is an American thing...

They stayed in a hotel here, and we saw them 3 times in 3 days, for supper and a visit in the evening. Every time they came over, the guy would go around and shake everyone's hand and say hi - all 8 of us. I thought it was a bit weird doing this every day.

I shake someone's hand when I meet them of course, but the second day I'd just say hi, ask them how they're doing, etc. I wouldn't do the handshake thing again.

Was this guy just a tad weird, or is that how you do it down there?

I'll shake the hand of someone I haven't seen in a few weeks or so, but for people I've seen recently, it never comes up. Unless it's a really hot woman, then I'm in there for my hug.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I shake hands when I meet people, but as soon as they are acquianted I revert to distributing "chicken wings"

I also shake hands with my good friends if we won't be seeing each other for a while.

and I hug generally hug girls.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Shake hands upon first meeting.

shake hands when i haven't seen my mates for a few days

shake hands prior and during an embrace every time i see my dad.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    that does seem a bit odd, but maybe the guy is trying to keep business-like. i only shake hands when meeting someone the first time, or after not seeing them in a while. i dont think i'd shake hands the day after. is it a firm dead-fish shake?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Maybe he is just really touchy and handshaking is the only socially acceptable form of touch.

The world would better with more hugs.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I only shake hands if I want to impress a gal. Nothing gets a woman's mind rolling like some nice, thick, big meaty hands.

• Reply 6 of 11
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The Handshake

every time you shake someone's hand and it feels like your best friend,

could it be that it's only superficiality?,

without regard to well-being, without an inkling of compromise,

handshakes are nothing but a subtle "**** you",

contracts determine the best friendships

this is the way of the modern world, everyone's vying for patronage,

this is the way of the modern world, and something has gotta give

every time you shake someone's hand,

and you share neither color or creed,

you gotta overcome the obstacles of history,

there is restrained passion, mistrust, and bigotry

and these have created the new foundations of society,

there's no harmony just class and race

this is the way of the modern world,

everyone's fighting for dominance,

this is the way of the modern world,

and something has gotta give

now I believe in unity, and I am willing to compromise,

but I'm not gonna lie or sell my soul

every time you shake someone's hand,

it determines where you stand,

and if you won't uphold your side then it's better to

fend for yourself, and shun the handshake,

someone's gotta give
  • Reply 7 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm just happy that humans don't greet each other the way cats and dogs do.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I shake hands when meeting people new, and when greeting business associates that I have not spoken to in a while.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'm just happy that humans don't greet each other the way cats and dogs do.

Maybe that's why I get so many funny looks.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

that does seem a bit odd, but maybe the guy is trying to keep business-like. i only shake hands when meeting someone the first time, or after not seeing them in a while. i dont think i'd shake hands the day after. is it a firm dead-fish shake?

It was just a couple that tagged along with some old friends of my in-laws for a little holiday. Not a business setting at all. I guess he's just weird.

To top it all off, yes, it was a weak, limp little handshake. The first time I extended his hand to me, I wasn't sure if he expected me to shake it or kiss it. I *HATE* that. I gave him an extra little squeeze for good measure.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

It was just a couple that tagged along with some old friends of my in-laws for a little holiday. Not a business setting at all. I guess he's just weird.

To top it all off, yes, it was a weak, limp little handshake. The first time I extended his hand to me, I wasn't sure if he expected me to shake it or kiss it. I *HATE* that. I gave him an extra little squeeze for good measure.

you squeezed his squirrel

i shake hands when meeting someone, sometimes i shakes hands with friends. i went through a phase when i was younger where i thought handshaking was a silly custom