Easier File sharing through regular OS X possible?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here at my office we're hiring another guy, and buying a new g4 for him, well i was going to take our old 400 g4 and put it in the closet and use it for file sharing between all of us, and maybe use it as a shared jukebox and all that you know? I was wondering if there's a way to set up a share for all of us to use, and not have to use the wierd go to server kind of thing? We're a small business and really don't need the full capabiliites of os x server 10.2 just yet. But I do want file sharing to be faster, and more reliable than it is now. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    I'm not sure about the jukebox part. As far as simply sharing files, I can think of two easy ways.

1) Give the public folder read and write access for guests.

2) Tell everyone the name and password of the account. When the log in the first time they can store an alias to this which should open automatically.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    for music, just use itunes sharing or netjuke, though itues is a bazillion times easier to set up.

Anyway, why wouldn't you just always have your machines connected to it rather than repeatedly logging in to it?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    what do you mean connected to it? I mean thats the point of logging on to it to do file sharing I can't see a way how we could do it another way... maybe my short vision has made me blind to something please explain further hehe. As for that well we have 2 powerbooks and 1 ibook, which are always mobile and then 3 powermacs... all this shared between 3 people i know right! heh
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Try a freeware application called SharePoints.