G5, A Gaming Machine?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Forget Ikaruga on the GambeCube, Ikaruga on the Dreamcast is much better ) I bought my copy from Japan and it'll be worth alot in a few years...Maybe sell it on ebay and buy a G6 lol....But in all, Neither will ever match Radiant Silvergun. Wouldnt it be great if Apple got alot of Japanese developers to make games on the Mac. PC owners must be so bored with corridor shoot em ups and god sims
  • Reply 42 of 51
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by silvergun

PC owners must be so bored with corridor shoot em ups and god sims

You must not've seen Half-Life 2.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

You must not've seen Half-Life 2.

Exactly, and that's exactly the sort of game you could use a G5 for to prove how good the architecture is for gaming combined with the good video cards (ATi 9800 Pro, nVidia 5900 etc).
  • Reply 44 of 51
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have written 3d engines and I can say 2 things:

- Don't underestimate the value of floating point performance

- Don't underestimate the value of a second processor in software that's not dual CPU enabled.

Regarding the second point, one CPU may be pegged handling the game dynamics, but the second CPU in the background could still be utilized by the OSes OpenGL implementation or sound architecture.

Don't get me started.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Actually I have seen Half Life 2. I downloaded the 20 minute video aaages ago and I still have it. But that is not what I mean. Its just that there should be a larger variety of games for computers and not just a select few. Yes Half Life 2 does look good...(apart from some dodgy animation) but more different types of games would be very welcomed. I think the pc games market is deing and thats probably the reason micropants made the xbox. I dont have nothing against games on macs and pcs but different games would be nice and i'm sure alot of people agree with me.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    I think that if more and more games came to the Mac, then more and more PC gamers would be willing to switch. Apple should work hard to bring new and popular games to OS X, and with the G5 this should considerably raise Apple's market share.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I think a lot of people buy a Windoze box for gaming. And even though I hate saying it, it sometimes is tempting. But then I think about ease of use and walk away.

I'm now thinking if buying a G5 just for playing WoW when it's released. Some people here will hate me for it, but I'll just do it...
  • Reply 50 of 51
    EDIT: Wrong Forum

EDIT: No it isn't... duh... didn't see it went to a second page...

Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

The performance of the G5 will help to some extent, but the real issue is the white elephant no one wants to mention - market share. It was a sad day when I found out we were having trouble holding on to 3%. These levels are not sustainable! Apple should be doing whatever it has to in order to grow market share. Losses in the short term would be negligible in comparison to the gains of a couple of market share percentage points.

The G5 is here and it's great, but the G5 won't be hot and new for too long. Soon enough it will become the status quo. What is going to drive long term demand? I love Apple, but I really think it's about time to increase the risk level in pursuit of marketshare. The retail stores are great, but they're simply not enough. We need more Mac users - a lot more - and once they're converted they won't go back to the PC. Apple continues to struggle for short term profits instead of looking out for long term survival. We desperately need market share.

<off topic>Despite the huge number of posts I've read pleading that Apple do more about gaining market share, this was the first that made me actually understand the point. Thanks Big Mac.</off topic>
  • Reply 51 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Most of the games that matter come out for Mac within 4 months of PC, and some of those games are simultaneous.

I applaud Epic for realizing the potential of the G5 as a gaming machine, and working to make UT2004 be a simultaneous Mac/PC release.