Someone hijacked my eBay account! :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This morning, I got an email from eBay "thanking" me for my change of e-mail request. Since I didn't make such a request, I sent an email to eBay about this unauthorized change. I also discovered that my password and secret question on my account have also been changed, leaving me with no way to access my account.

Now, I just discovered that whoever's hijacked my account is using it to sell PowerBooks! See this auction. That's me listed as the seller, but I'm not selling any PowerBooks!

Anyone have any suggestions? I've already sent the appropriate emails to eBay. Hopefully they'll respond soon. How does something like this happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Email them (ebay) more. Also, if they refuse to do anything quickly, contact FBI about the same subject. Send them the link, ebay's response and the description of how and when the hijacking happened.

I hope FBI catches that bastard.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what would happen if someone you knew bought it now?

then by the time ebay sorted it out at least he would be tied up trying to get his $1000

and not scamming your name for more $... whats more is that you wont get negative feedback
  • Reply 3 of 10
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Lets force this guy to tell where he is. In the announce he is in Rego Park, Canada. I just sent a message telling I live 10 minutes from there and I could have 1000 $ this week ...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I can't believe 23 people have actually fallen for the "deal" and "bought" a PowerBook already! Isn't Rego Park in New York? I don't know of any city in Canada with that name. I've already gotten the email address that's currently listed for "me", and I've emailed the bastard about stealing my account. I've also sent emails to all the bidders warning them not to pay this person. eBay's automated response pages suggest it'll take them 24 to 36 hours to respond.

Sigh, what a great start to the week... \
  • Reply 5 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    23 holy crap

how do you know this?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Well, I've sent eBay another email. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

23 holy crap

how do you know this?

Well, I guess this sorta hilites a flaw in eBay's security. On my home computer, I had "always keep me signed in" for my "My eBay" page. On there, I can click "See Buyers" for the auction without entering my password (since it's kept me "logged in"). Of course, if I do anything that requires a password, I can't get by it since my password's been changed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    you can file a complaint with our office at www.ifccfbi.gov

you also need to CALL ebay at 408 376-7400
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Thanks for the suggestion about calling eBay. I decided to wait in line for their online chat instead. After a 40 minute wait, I got to chat with a support person who ended the errant auction and reset my account. Other than the long waiting time (thankfully, there's no annoying music), it went really well! I've even gotten responses from several bidders to my email warning them about the scam. Thankfully, no one's paid the guy (yet).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Sheesh. That guy racked up $698.72 in seller's fees on my eBay account selling those PowerBooks. Too bad the credit card I had on file expired in February 2003.