CRT or Flat Panel?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

... tscreen. 8 to 12 hours a day in AI/PS/PovRay/Excel/Word/etc kills me on a CRT anymore.

Really? What refresh are you running?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Well I guess it's been a couple of years more than I thought since I've used a CRT. Last time I had one the max. was 85Hz on a 21" (which I still have on a Beige G3). Didn't know they went up to 200Hz now, that would make a lot of difference. Sorry for my ignorance in the matter at hand.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

I have a 17" flat panel at work and it really makes me miss my 19" LaCie monitor at home. Best computer upgrade I've made. Software development on a 17" monitor of any kind isn't fun. \

Uuummmmm....

The display area on a 17" LCD and a 19" CRT are roughly the same.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

The display area on a 17" LCD and a 19" CRT are roughly the same.

Not if you have a flat screen 19 incher I got mine [19 inch flat screen CRT] for 150 bucks 2 years ago now I think. Maybe even 3.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Well I guess it's been a couple of years more than I thought since I've used a CRT. Last time I had one the max. was 85Hz on a 21" (which I still have on a Beige G3). Didn't know they went up to 200Hz now, that would make a lot of difference. Sorry for my ignorance in the matter at hand.

That refresh rate is only available up to a resolution of 1152x864, and then only if your CRT can handle it. Personally I find even refresh rates >100 Hz objectionable, but then I'm one of those poor sods who sees rainbows in DLP projectors too. There is something about the stability of a digital display that is so much easier on the eyes. Fortunately for what I do the colours and black levels aren't an issue.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance in the matter at hand.

thats okay, I thought I put "a refresh rate up to" in my post, but I guess I`m just tired. Yeah you can get a 200Hz refresh if you have the radeon 9800 and running on an expensive monitor at probably no higher than 800X600..

Oops while I was posting, Programmer beat me to it.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Not if you have a flat screen 19 incher I got mine [19 inch flat screen CRT] for 150 bucks 2 years ago now I think. Maybe even 3.

So, does that give you a whopping 1" more of screen space?

• Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

So, does that give you a whopping 1" more of screen space?

Yeah and a whopping ~800 more bucks in my pocket Win win situation I think.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Yeah and a whopping ~800 more bucks in my pocket Win win situation I think.

Can't argue with you about price, but the part that I was referring to was that he was alluding to the fact that the 17" LCD was harder to work on than the 19" because of size.

Some people just can't follow a conversation.

• Reply 30 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

That refresh rate is only available up to a resolution of 1152x864, and then only if your CRT can handle it. Personally I find even refresh rates >100 Hz objectionable, but then I'm one of those poor sods who sees rainbows in DLP projectors too. There is something about the stability of a digital display that is so much easier on the eyes. Fortunately for what I do the colours and black levels aren't an issue.

Well the LCD color problems don't bother me much either since I'm partially color blind which is why I have to make relief maps of areas rather than using regular USGS topographic maps.

• Reply 31 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Can't argue with you about price, but the part that I was referring to was that he was alluding to the fact that the 17" LCD was harder to work on than the 19" because of size.

The problem isn't physical screen size but resolution. A typical 17" LCD's maximum resolution is 1280x1024 (ish), but a 19" CRT can do usually reaosnably do 1600x1200 for less cost. I have yet to find a 17" CRT that does 1600x1200 well. I just need those extra pixels.

I'm probably just bitter about the budgetary constraints on my work equipment and not being one of the lucky half with a 1600x1200 capable monitor.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    1600x1200 is too big for me. I bought the Viewsonic VX900 for $700 at best buy. 1280x1024 at 75Hz. Very good for everything I use it for. However, I don't use it to make my living as I am student and dabble in lots of things. You should go to an electronics place in your area and compare for yourself. I think the Viewsonics are comparable in quality to the ACDs, hence why I bought one. Also, they are lower in price.

I vote LCD.

P.S. Weighs about 18 pounds and has a footprint of about 10"x4".
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Whats this rumor about a new line of apple flats coming soon?

Any validity or links to it?

Also any serious reviews that compare high end flats to CRT's for color graphic work?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

Whats this rumor about a new line of apple flats coming soon?

Any validity or links to it?

Also any serious reviews that compare high end flats to CRT's for color graphic work?

Last month's MacDesign did have a review of both LCD and CRT. Very good read IMO
  • Reply 35 of 48
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to General Discussion...
  • Reply 36 of 48
    My problem is if I want to replace my 21" Sony GDM with an Apple 20". Although I guess it's not really a problem
  • Reply 37 of 48
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

My problem is if I want to replace my 21" Sony GDM with an Apple 20".

Well I am the one who did this. After I traded my SONY GDM to the ACD:

1) My headache is gone

2) My room is now cooler in summer (my room is facing west and my CRT wasn't helping)

3) I see more details on the images I do.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Well I am the one who did this........

nice! good to know. Do you see a difference in the quality/color, better/worse? Or is it about the same?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    What is it about the Apple LCDs that look so good?

When I go into CompUSA and look at all of the LCD displays, none of them seem to look as sharp and crisp as the Apple ones.

Is it just me?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

What is it about the Apple LCDs that look so good?

They are designed well and cept the 17 they are widescreen, mmmmmm widescreen

Quote:

When I go into CompUSA and look at all of the LCD displays, none of them seem to look as sharp and crisp as the Apple ones.

Is it just me?

you, and everyone else in the world who appreciates good design and quality screens, not rock bottom prices. Although apple lcd prices are surprisingly good,