A good deed...am I nuts?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
  • Reply 22 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

Well, she's a big music lover and has an amazing CD collection. And she's always walking or jogging or puttering around the yard and house, so I thought it would be cool for her to have all her music in the palm of her hand (or clipped to her belt or strapped to her bicep, as the case may be).

She loves it, and that's been my first real experience with an iPod and I have to say: I'm VERY impressed. So much so, that after I get my PowerBook, I'm going to buy myself a 15GB iPod in the coming months.

BTW, I have to say: this 14" iBook is awesome! What a gorgeous, clear and bright screen! I'm extremely impressed, coming from an LCD iMac and all. Her Gateway was also 14" @ 1024x768, but that's where any similarities end! She had, I believe, 8- or 16-bit color, so things were dithery and just blotchy and clunky looking. Now she's got millions of colors, all the antialiasing/text smoothing of OS X, the shadows and transparency, etc.

Total eye candy, and I caught her just staring at it all yesterday, just touching the screen and moving windows around in a state of wonder and awe.

And you know what? PLENTY of speed and power! I'm quite amazed at how snappy that thing is: iTunes, the Finder, Safari (pretty much have her hooked on that already), the Office test drive that came installed.

She really digs the fact that every one of her Word, PowerPoint and Excel files from her Gateway opened up perfectly and intact on her iBook.

She was going on and on about things yesterday. If Apple was smart, they would've had a film crew there filming her for a future commercial.

• Reply 23 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    'scates, I'll be your friend for a PBook...heck for a PBook I'll arrange hot teenagers to strip for you!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Sorry, I only dig older women. Teens get on my nerves...

You get Meredith Vieira and Katie Couric to put on a show for me and we'll talk...
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Sorry, I only dig older women. Teens get on my nerves...

You get Meredith Vieira and Katie Couric to put on a show for me and we'll talk...

So I will have them not talk.

I'll work on your second option.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Yeah, the Camp thing is something they're doing for kids. My little brother is enrolled in it at the Walnut Creek store.

What IS it, though? I can't find it on Apple's site. Are there any advanced courses?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I also got her a 15GB iPod and unveiled it first

how much are you earning!

Seriously that's a great thing to do for a freind. The world would be a much better place if there was more people like you!!
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Thank you...I've been saying that for YEARS!

But seriously, I'm not as much of an "earner" as I am a saver. Combine that with a simple, lowkey lifestyle and level-headed shopping/spending habits and every once in a while I find myself in a position to do something like this.

I don't blow money on trendy, expensive clothes and I don't have $6000 worth of speakers and amps in my car stereo, so....

I make an okay living, it's just that I don't blow it on silly stuff 24/7 so I always seem to be okay and have a nice little fund tucked away.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    How serious is this, there is something wrong with spending that much money on a girl. Even if you have the money, I never liked the idea of buying somone's affection, on purpose or not.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

How serious is this, there is something wrong with spending that much money on a girl. Even if you have the money, I never liked the idea of buying somone's affection, on purpose or not.

top marks for effort though, if ure gonna get a girl something she can appreciate how about and iBook AND an iPod.

I like to think that if I had enough I'd do the same, Macs are much more fun when other people have them too. I took my PowerBook round to a mates last night, it took no time at all to mount his shares on my desktop, a bit more long winded the other way round, with two macs you just plug in and you're done, if iChat is already running the name appears as if by magic.

Sorry I think I got a little carried away there.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Dude, it's NOTHING like that!!! There is no "buying affection". I'm not that way I wouldn't do that I don't believe in that, etc.

You don't know any of the backstory/history of this, so don't go assuming things like that or that you have no idea of. WAY off.

This isn't some "chick I'm trying to impress" that I've only known for a few months...

TRUST me. I'm not that shallow/desperate.

• Reply 32 of 35
    That is why I was asking...you don't have to be shallow to buy somone gifts who doesn't care for you the same way you care for them is all I was saying.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What IS it, though? I can't find it on Apple's site. Are there any advanced courses?

It's for kids. If you buy a Mac in the Apple Store(has to be at a physical store, not online), you can enroll two kids(eigth grade and under) in a day camp at the Apple Store. There used to be a link at http://seminars.apple.com, but it dissappeared, probably because it started yesterday.

Basically, they teach kids how to use OSX, the iApps, iTMS(I guess that's an iApp), Safari, System Preferences, yada yada yada. They have an advanced class, for 5th to 8th grade, and a beginner class for 1st to 4th grade.

Even the basic class doesn't get to basic. They don't teach you how to type, or how to use the mouse, or other stuff like that(ok, so most kids already know how to do that stuff, but my brother doesn't, which is surprising since I'm only two years older than him and have been using computers since I was six).
  • Reply 34 of 35
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    So how'd she like it?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    She loves it. I talk about it a bit above, but now it's been almost a full week and she's got her bookmarks set, she's using her .mac account (and saves me on my renewal because she listed me as the referrer!), she loves Mail (she's done the "go to a webpage to check Hotmail account" for years and years).

She's already got over 800 songs in iTunes and is grasping the whole iTunes > iPod thing quite nicely.

Her RAM and Office v.X should arrive today and I'll swing by after work to either install them OR let HER install them while I supervise (she's still getting the hang of some Mac-specific things). She said she'd feel better if I was there while she tried this. I don't blame her.

Let's see, what else...

She LOVES Sherlock. The movie and yellow pages channels blows her mind! She's shown that to her friends and family and is this huge fan of it.

She's getting adventurous and is poking around, setting the Dock the way she likes it, figured out the auto-fill thing in Safari, has been putting people in her Address Book for a few days, etc. She's grasped the idea of the whole "home folder" thing and that all her stuff resides in the Documents folder, her mp3 and AAC files are in the Music folder, etc. She's keeping everything really neat and organized which is cool because her Gateway was a MESS!

Oh, and I introduced her to iconfactory.com, so she'll probably go nuts with little custom icons now!

"Ooooh, bugs and cartoons!"

And get this: I stopped by on Wednesday night after work and I pulled into the driveway and guess what is on the back windshield of her Jetta? Yep, a little white Apple logo sticker. I must've had a smile that stretched from here to Oklahoma!

She said "I did it just to see your reaction, BUT I have to say that I'm TOTALLY impressed with this iBook, OS X, iTunes, my iPod and the whole package. So I don't mind being a bit of an Apple flag-waver...it looks cute on my car!"

Chalk up one more, fellas!

Mom and sister are next...