Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 341 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Just another quick thing about Classic. The Classic UI is now double buffered it appears. So aqua drop shadows are now drawn over a classic application correctly; along with the dock.
  • Reply 342 of 1176
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Just another quick thing about Classic. The Classic UI is now double buffered it appears. So aqua drop shadows are now drawn over a classic application correctly; along with the dock.

That's the single reason why I stopped using Classic. Honestly, it's so superficial, but I can't stand the eraser effect.

A double-buffered Classic will let me once again use Classic without embarrassment, although I have weaned myself off of Mac OS 9 altogether anyway in the last 2 years, but I do miss certain apps. ("Miss" meaning I still don't "need" them on Mac OS X but they are fun to have if only via Classic, like older versions of Bryce or InfiniD and whatnot)...
  • Reply 343 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

I'm assuming not. So that is a glitch, actually. What a glitch!

Just remember, turn your music off before switching! Then again, they should fix that problem. Active processes can still do their work, but iTunes should stop, and all movies or anything that makes sound should stop playing.

You'll need a fast computer to have active processes in two users at a time..sadly, I don't have that. Oh well =)

I presume there'll be an option to disable other users' sound.
  • Reply 344 of 1176
    New cool feature in iCal in panther,

as a reminder you can have a file to be opened, instead of the beep and message.

Think applescript.... and we eventually have got a nice cron, user friendly like scheduler.

bad news... in 7b28 I could not get it to work...
  • Reply 345 of 1176
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

New cool feature in iCal in panther,

as a reminder you can have a file to be opened, instead of the beep and message.

Speaking of iCal, whenever I've played around with it at an Apple store, I couldn't find where you can change the catagory colors. Can you do this in this version? (I can't stand the tutti--fruity colors that are the default).

And does the same apply for the label colors? Or will I have to live with those ugly tutti-fruity colors as well?
  • Reply 346 of 1176
    It is tutti-fruity I am afraid!

If you look at the app ressources there are bitmaps for each color, so there is no way you can cofigure that.

P.

also, talking about iCal, there is still no news of a link between AddressBook's birthday and iCal...

A reminder for birthays would be nice!
  • Reply 348 of 1176
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

It is tutti-fruity I am afraid!

If you look at the app ressources there are bitmaps for each color, so there is no way you can cofigure that.

P.

Too bad. Tutti-fruity colors are for chicks...

Maybe a future release will contain an option so that users can change iCal's and the labels colors to their own personal preferences.
  • Reply 349 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I presume there'll be an option to disable other users' sound.

...AND an admin option to halt other users' processes when their accounts aren't the active one. Saves tons of CPU power.
  • Reply 350 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by awinn233

More pics at http://thinksecret.com/news/pantherfindersystem5.html

I found this interesting:

Quote:

"For testing purposes, Apple implemented a crash reporting system that sends bug reports to Apple. The Crash Report is invoked when an application unexpectedly quits, and includes an area for the tester to provide a customized problem description."

I've seen Brad's screenshots of this before, and was struck as much then as now that this element in Panther is not necessarily for testers only. The text on the Mac Help Crash Log screenshot reads as if it were geared more toward the average computer user than developers. I'd be interested in seeing if this capability makes its way into the final release version Panther.
  • Reply 351 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't think it's been seeded to ADC yet, but there now exists a 7B34 build according to ThinkSecret.
  • Reply 352 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

I found this interesting:

I've seen Brad's screenshots of this before, and was struck as much then as now that this element in Panther is not necessarily for testers only. The text on the Mac Help Crash Log screenshot reads as if it were geared more toward the average computer user than developers. I'd be interested in seeing if this capability makes its way into the final release version Panther.

it gets quite annoying after the 20th time
  • Reply 353 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Hey, as a question of curiosity, is Appleworks getting any updates when Panther comes out? Or will it look the same?
  • Reply 354 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Hey, as a question of curiosity, is Appleworks getting any updates when Panther comes out? Or will it look the same?

Rumor has it that Appleworks is no longer under development, only receiving minor maintenance releases; instead Apple is working on its own MS Office-compatible "iWorks" suite, the Document - Calc -Keynote - FileMaker quarto.
  • Reply 355 of 1176
    Quote:

The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there.

This was a bug I noticed in earlier versions of Jag-wire. Since I no longer own a Mac (I am computerless at present) I can't comment as to whether it remains in later versions but probably is my guess if it's still an issue in Panther. I noticed it when deleting songs from my iTunes music library.
  • Reply 356 of 1176
    Quote:

AppleWorks is entirely seperate of Panther. It might get replaced with something else. I doubt they're still putting any serious efforts into it.
  • Reply 357 of 1176
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

AppleWorks is entirely seperate of Panther. It might get replaced with something else. I doubt they're still putting any serious efforts into it.

Does anyone know when that Appleworks update is going to be downloadable? Maybe it was, I just forgot. :/
  • Reply 358 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I see. I know it's separate but I was just wondering if any changes would be made when Panther comes out. I guess there won't be.
  • Reply 359 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

I see. I know it's separate but I was just wondering if any changes would be made when Panther comes out. I guess there won't be.

It's separate, but with the .doc frameworks that TextEdit is showing off, we MIGHT be able to see a number of smaller Word replacements coming out very soon. OS X has got to be a joy to develop for because of the multitude of incredibly useful frameworks available to Cocoa developers. I can't count the number of great small applications that are written in Cocoa by small developers. I love OS X.
  • Reply 360 of 1176
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Too bad. Tutti-fruity colors are for chicks...

good god...