panther and CPU upgrade

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Move this if it should be in hardware, I am interested in upgrading the CPU in my sawtooth with an OWC 1 GIG CPU. My question is, does anyone know if there will be any conflicts with the new CPU and Panther?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I have a 1GHz upgrade similar to the one you're considering, but I don't think there's any information available that indicates definitively whether Panther will support these upgrades out of the box. I suspect it will.

At a minimum they will likely be supported by the first update (10.3.1), so if your best upgrade path is a CPU upgrade (I know they've gotten pretty cheap by now) I would go with it. Take your chances; you should be OK in the end.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Well two options...

1) Ask OWC. If the info they give you is wrong then you could return it for that reason maybe.

2) Send your machine to me and I could test it.

A@ron
  • Reply 3 of 4
    andrewmandrewm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by graphicmovement

Move this if it should be in hardware, I am interested in upgrading the CPU in my sawtooth with an OWC 1 GIG CPU. My question is, does anyone know if there will be any conflicts with the new CPU and Panther?

I purchased a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.2 GHz upgrade for my processor, and it seems to have functioned well under the various Panther betas.

My apologies if this is not quite helpful, as Sonnet is of course a different manufacturer from Other World Computing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks, any info is good info!