Phoning Home

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I used the following to block a program from phoning home " sudo ipfw add deny log ip from 64.225.100.153 to any " I now need to take this "block" off, in effect returning the settings to their prior state before I typed the " sudo ipfw add deny log ip from 64.225.100.153 to any " into TERMINAL. I have no idea on how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    first, do 'sudo ipfw list' so you can see all the ipfw commands you've given. hopefully it'll only be 2, the one you mentioned and the standard 'allow all from anywhere'. if you do 'sudo ipfw -f flush' it will clear all your rules, and just leave the allow anything from anybody. you can then re-add all the other rules you want that you noticed from the list. i'm pretty sure that rules can be added verbatim from that list's output: sudo ipfw add <1 line from the list>; sudo ipfw add <another line from the list>;
  • Reply 2 of 2
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Even easier if you have multiple rules already set up would be just to enter "sudo ipfw delete rulenum", where rulenum is the number given to the rule. Do a "sudo ipfw list" to see what's there and then somthing like "sudo ipfw delete 02110".

The ipfw utility is so great. I've just started realizing one quarter of it's potential, and so now I've completely given up on Apple's Pref Pane. For example, I want to be able to access my music through SMB sharing on my campus network so I can listen to it in the labs, but I don't want those crazy RIAA kooks finding my computer sharing ten thousand songs, so I can enter in the subdomain of my campus network, and it will only allow oncampus computers access. And I really only SSH from two other computers, so I can allow access to only those two IPs.

For quite an extensive runthrough, type man ipfw.

You ought to be running it, at least as configured through the PrefPane.... it's not too hard to do, and it really doesn't interfere with stuff you want if it's set up correctly.