Original Playstation won't boot....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.. I bought a used July 1995 model original Playstation to play some games my friend gave me. That was two weeks ago... Now.. it won't boot anything except audio CDs. I think it has something to do with the lens... but I'm not sure. It spins to 1x just fine but then it tries to spin to 2x where you're supposed to see the black screen with the PS logo.... but it never gets there... I've tried to clean the lens but still no go.... Any ideas? I can't trade it in for another one because it was only a 1 week satisfaction gurantee...... and that's long over now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Buy a new one from the store. They are cheap as hell. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Buy a new one from the store. They are cheap as hell. You get what you pay for.

BR: I'd do that but I got a 1995 model for a reason... If you want to know that reason either PM me, IM me on AIM or e-mail me.. I don't think the MODs/Admins would appreciate seeing that reason here.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

BR: I'd do that but I got a 1995 model for a reason... If you want to know that reason either PM me, IM me on AIM or e-mail me.. I don't think the MODs/Admins would appreciate seeing that reason here.

Well then, I'm glad your attempts at illegally mod-chipping the thing to use your illegally obtained games were thwarted. Serves you right.

I suggest that no one assists this criminal with his problem.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Well then, I'm glad your attempts at illegally mod-chipping the thing to use your illegally obtained games were thwarted. Serves you right.

I never said that it had a modchip.... You're putting words in my mouth...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

I never said that it had a modchip.... You're putting words in my mouth...

Silence, fool. You are a worse liar than El Presidente.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Hey maybe he's trying to get it to run linux..you ever think of that
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Early revisions of the PlayStation are known to have this problem.

Try turning it on with the unit upside down. I'll bet it works then.

Repairing it will be unreasonably expensive, and I know you're denying it has a mod-chip, so you'll be better off just buying a cheap used PS1 (the newer smaller version).
  • Reply 8 of 23
    This may not apply to the original playstation but I have experienced the same problem when playing certain types of games on my dreamcast.

If you are playing this certain type of game it can bork your lens. The solution is quite simple. Take apart your PS so you can remove the drive from the unit. Turn the CD drive over and you should see a wee little screw close to the laser. Give a 1/4 turn left and put it all back together and it may work.

Like I said, I do this to fix my dreamcast. Although this or something similar should work on a PS.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Hey maybe he's trying to get it to run linux..you ever think of that

Yeah, real likely. That's why he says the mods would be unhappy if he divulged the real reason.

STOP ASSISTING THIS CRIMINAL!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yeah, real likely. That's why he says the mods would be unhappy if he divulged the real reason.

STOP ASSISTING THIS CRIMINAL!

Okay okay.. I'll tell you the reason. I wanted an inexpensive way to play classic PS1 games like Driver and Driver 2 and I didn't want to have to keep restarting into OS 9 to use CVGS.

-BTW-

I'm NOT a criminal. Please stop calling me that. I posted this here to try and get help. BR if you dont have any advice that might help me please don't post to this thread.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Okay okay.. I'll tell you the reason. I wanted an inexpensive way to play classic PS1 games like Driver and Driver 2 and I didn't want to have to keep restarting into OS 9 to use CVGS.

Then get a freaking new one. They are what, 50 bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...578067-6727920
  • Reply 12 of 23
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I've never modded a console before, however a friend of mine sold mod chips from his shop. He explained that the mod chip also allowed you play Japan/Europe only formatted games also, Now if that is true, would it be illegal to first mod your own console and then use it to play foreign games that are obtained from a legal source?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I've never modded a console before, however a friend of mine sold mod chips from his shop. He explained that the mod chip also allowed you play Japan/Europe only formatted games also, Now if that is true, would it be illegal to first mod your own console and then use it to play foreign games that are obtained from a legal source?

Yes, it is still illegal. The mod itself is the illegal action. The same thing is true for dvd players and region coding.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I looked further into it and yeah you're right, but is doesn't make sense to me as to why it should be so.

I do believe in copyright protection, but here in the US we are allowed to make back ups of our software and music for personal use, but not video games? Plus if a foreign game is a legal production bought from a legal seller than the company is going to get it's money anyway, and it is still illegal? Weird double standards if you ask me.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I looked further into it and yeah you're right, but is doesn't make sense to me as to why it should be so.

I do believe in copyright protection, but here in the US we are allowed to make back ups of our software and music for personal use, but not video games? Plus if a foreign game is a legal production bought from a legal seller than the company is going to get it's money anyway, and it is still illegal? Weird double standards if you ask me.

Oh, I agree it should be legal but I'm just stating the facts as they are.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

He's asking for help. Why must you insist on being an ass about it?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

He's asking for help. Why must you insist on being an ass about it?

*nods* Thank you EmAn. At least some people are helpful here. ^^
  • Reply 18 of 23
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Because Lord knows you've done no wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yes, it is still illegal. The mod itself is the illegal action. The same thing is true for dvd players and region coding.

And you support that insanity!? Region restrictions on the consumer are ludicrous. And please, stop with the postcount++ shit, and the armchair modding. It's annoying.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Because Lord knows you've done no wrong.

I don't ask people for assistance on an internet message board for the explicit purpose of doing wrong.