New PowerBooks tomorrow.

1313234363744

Comments

  • Reply 661 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, you kinda say it yourself...two years late.







    There is no defending Motorola.



    I fully blame them and Apple's piss-poor marketing as the two reasons why we - after the unveiling of a stellar operating system like OS X, after the whole "Switch" thing, after years of gorgeous hardware, after the kick-ass iApps, etc. - we're still clawing at 4-5%.







    Actually, truth be known, I blame Apple more that Motorola. Most people really don't give a damn about chips, and to the average consumer 1GHz, give or take, is more than enough to do the things they do.



    But Apple's limp marketing is another thread altogether...
  • Reply 662 of 873
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    But what devices do you use?



    Haha I don't want to argue about this, I was just saying for an added price I don't really think [FW800] its needed. If its the same or cheaper...or even a LITTLE extra it would be fine. But majority of users aren't going to have a need for it so I doubt it would be implemented if it costs more.




    Nothing right now of course. In a year or so I might get a nice fast FW800 drive for backups. Backing up 40-50 GB of data takes quite awhile, even with (fast) standard Firewire. If I can get a boost with FW800, it would be nice. From what I understand, that boost is really only about 20% so who knows if the expense is worth it, if indeed there is any additional expense.
  • Reply 663 of 873
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    They are coming very very very soon !



    http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml



    (Either that or Apple has decided to stop selling PowerBooks)
  • Reply 664 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    15" aren't anywhere and the Apple Store is out of both 12" and 15" models!
  • Reply 665 of 873
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    15" aren't anywhere and the Apple Store is out of both 12" and 15" models!



    According to their website, MacMall still has 762 12s and 264 15s. I bet I know where you can get a good deal on one next week.
  • Reply 666 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iDave

    According to their website, MacMall still has 762 12s and 264 15s. I bet I know where you can get a good deal on one next week.



    Let's hope so! I have no intention of taking advantage of any "good deals" on old PowerBooks after new ones are announced. But I'll wait until I have a choice between the two generations to decide. I certainly hope the "good deals" will not look so good when compared to the awesome new 7457-based PowerBooks... next week.



    Cold Turkey
  • Reply 667 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Don't want to come off as a dick, but NONE of you have been right about ANY of this stuff over the past 2-3 months.







    I'll believe it when I see it.







    If new PowerBooks DO come next week, I will - after I pick myself up off the floor - treat everyone to a round of drinks.



  • Reply 668 of 873
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Good luck Best Buy.



    Both 15" models at the standard price with no promotions to go with them.



    Hopefully Apple sold them these laptops instead of just placing them in stores.















    MSKR
  • Reply 669 of 873
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Call me a crackhead, but I just went to the Apple Store and added the 12" Combo drive PB and a 15" Combo drive PB. The 12" ships in 3-5 days and the 15" ships 5-7 days.



    What am I missing?? Sure, the other online stores stocks have been depleted but the Apple Store has not changed availability in weeks...



    Screed ...Must. Have. Rev. B 12"!!!...
  • Reply 670 of 873
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pscates



    If new PowerBooks DO come next week, I will - after I pick myself up off the floor - treat everyone to a round of drinks.







    What, you can't treat everyone to a round of PowerBooks? We're all your friends!
  • Reply 671 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Masker

    Good luck Best Buy.



    Both 15" models at the standard price with no promotions to go with them.



    Hopefully Apple sold them these laptops instead of just placing them in stores.







    MSKR




    I assume Apple just made the deal with BestBuy so they would buy them and Apple could clear themselves of their inventory. They had inventory to clear and wanted to screw BB like BB screws Apple.





    Quote:

    Originally posted by MCQ

    What, you can't treat everyone to a round of PowerBooks? We're all your friends!



    Apparently you have to be friends with him for a LONG time to get that kind of treatment!
  • Reply 672 of 873
    I'm a PC computer systems engineer, and I'm about 2 seconds from buying a mac because I'd like to come home and enjoy being on a computer after fixing windows all day long. I've been reading this thread and I have a couple comments and questions.



    I was reading online somewhere else that one of the goals of Apple when releasing the new Pbooks would be to make them all equal with the "cool" stuff... like FW800, backlit keyboard, etc. One reason I haven't bought the 15" model yet is because if you look at the specs on it, it's actually at the bottom of the pack. Both the 12" and the 17" have ATA/100 4200 RPM hard drives while the 15" has ATA/66 4200 RPM hard drives. It does have a pc card slot that the 12 doesn't have, but the ATA speed difference is definitely a drawback, since that's where the actual throughput happens. It also is the only one that is still only set for the basic airport card and not the 802.11g extreme card.



    I want one of things so bad, but I really want to wait for the new one's to come out unless someone can convince me now would be just as good as later. I just wish someone new time frame for it. Does anyone have any advice on what I should get and from where? Best Buy or maybe Amazon? Do you think the prices of the new models will be a lot higher than where the models are now? Thanks! 8)
  • Reply 673 of 873
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pc-to-mac



    I was reading online somewhere else that one of the goals of Apple when releasing the new Pbooks would be to make them all equal with the "cool" stuff... like FW800, backlit keyboard, etc. One reason I haven't bought the 15" model yet is because if you look at the specs on it, it's actually at the bottom of the pack. Both the 12" and the 17" have ATA/100 4200 RPM hard drives while the 15" has ATA/66 4200 RPM hard drives. It does have a pc card slot that the 12 doesn't have, but the ATA speed difference is definitely a drawback, since that's where the actual throughput happens.




    laptop hard drives dont come close to approaching ATA/66's max throughput. At least 4200RPM models. if you were going to replace the drive with a new 7200 RPM one then yes, ATA/100 would be better.



    But as of now ATA/100 in the powerbook is just a marketing number as none of the drives apple ships are limited by ATA/66
  • Reply 674 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pc-to-mac

    Does anyone have any advice on what I should get and from where? Best Buy or maybe Amazon?



    www.macmall.com , www.macwarehouse.com , www.macconnection.com , etc... places that usually have free ram deals
  • Reply 675 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pc-to-mac

    I want one of things so bad, but I really want to wait for the new one's to come out unless someone can convince me now would be just as good as later. I just wish someone new time frame for it. Does anyone have any advice on what I should get and from where? Best Buy or maybe Amazon? Do you think the prices of the new models will be a lot higher than where the models are now? Thanks! 8)



    I'd wait a bit since new PowerBooks could be out as early as next week. A Mac is a good way to hide from the dreaded MSBlast (LoveSan) worm.



    Don't be fooled by specs, though. A 4200 rpm drive isn't going to saturate an ATA/66 bus, let alone an ATA/100 bus. The current TiBook is an excellent portable but if you want the cool new features, a 15" AlBook will be worth the wait.



    Before buying, be sure to check out the resources others have provided.
  • Reply 676 of 873
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    pc-to-mac



    FWIW - If either you or your spouse(if married) are on any PTA board, either elected OR appointed, you are eligble for Apple's education discount. And until late September the bundle deals(re: $200 off an iPod and $100 off qualifying printers)



    I note the bundle deals since this mitigates the fact that Apple charges sales tax and some online stores don't.



    Good Luck
  • Reply 677 of 873
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    It certainly seems a good omen that the wait for a 15" BP is 5-7 bus. days, and the 12" and 17" are immediate. Apple Store.



    Dr. L
  • Reply 678 of 873
    On a kinda related note, does anyone know who did the music for this powerbook promotional video and what the songs called?



    http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/...g4_012003.html
  • Reply 679 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by silvergun

    On a kinda related note, does anyone know who did the music for this powerbook promotional video and what the songs called?



    http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/...g4_012003.html




    I hope you mean the Ramones' cover of What A Wonderful World and not that techno crap during the intro.
  • Reply 680 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

    I hope you mean the Ramones' cover of What A Wonderful World and not that techno crap during the intro.



    thats not even close to being techno
Sign In or Register to comment.