G5 Marketing Begins Mid August in September Magazines

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just got both copies of MacAddict and MacWorld for September. G5 on covers, turn the cover and both have 2 page ad spreads for the G5. Both cover articles go into a lot more depth than we've seen so far - even from Apple itself. Then open Spetember DV and Electronic Musician to find both have full 2 page spreads just inside the covers for the Dual 2 GHz G5. Apple must have a lot of these computers in the pipeline. Otherwise, why would they be spending so much money on publicizing something they can't deliver? I feel a G5 onslought coming on strong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I don't recall seeing Apple placing such high energy into advertising before. At just about every commercial break on the Discovery and the History channel you will see the G5 commercial.

People are looking at Apple. Last week a guy from work who knows I'm a Mac user asked me if the PowerBook had a G5 because his sister in law wants a G5 PowerBook. I laughed and said, "So do I! But not yet."
  • Reply 2 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Yes, I just opened last week's Howard Dean TIME to find a 2 page spread for the G5 there as well just inside the cover. This is SATURATION POP advertising at the highest most mass circulation coverage in both broad based and target audiences. Apple is certainly doing everything it can to get a mass consciousness going for the G5 generation of Macs.

The chart on page 65 of the new September MacWorld really shows how radically faster we are about to get and that's only the processor speed.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

Yes, I just opened last week's Howard Dean TIME to find a 2 page spread for the G5 there as well just inside the cover. This is SATURATION POP advertising at the highest most mass circulation coverage in both broad based and target audiences. Apple is certainly doing everything it can to get a mass consciousness going for the G5 generation of Macs.

The chart on page 65 of the new September MacWorld really shows how radically faster we are about to get and that's only the processor speed.

Pictures?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Add to that the September issue of Wired and the most recent issue of Computerworld. The latter is geared heavily towards business.

Both have the ad inside the front cover and the first page.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Why is Apple still advertising in Mac magazines? Anyone reading those will already know about the G5. It just seems like a waste of ad money.

I've seen the ad on Discovery about five times though. Glad to see Apple being more aggressive.

And has anyone noticed that when the guy hits the tree in the commercial, he still has the mouse in his hand? An Apple Store employee pointed that out to me.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

And has anyone noticed that when the guy hits the tree in the commercial, he still has the mouse in his hand? An Apple Store employee pointed that out to me.

They don't call them "Geniuses" for nothing, you know.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Heh. No I hadn't. I like the "wondering-WTF-happend" expression on the mothers face and the sound effects of sheet-rock falling, phone disconnect tone, dog running for life as the camera zeroes in on the trouble maker.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Why is Apple still advertising in Mac magazines? Anyone reading those will already know about the G5. It just seems like a waste of ad money.

Sometimes people who own older macs buy new macs. And not everyone lives and dies by Apple's announcements at developer conferences and [half-assed] trade shows.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

Sometimes people who own older macs buy new macs. And not everyone lives and dies by Apple's announcements at developer conferences and [half-assed] trade shows.

or worthless rumour forums
  • Reply 10 of 22
    There was a two-page spread in the July 28 New Yorker.... "The world's fastest personal computer," right-side pic with the door off, etc. Very nice.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Well for the past month at least, there have been G5 ads in the first 2 pages of time and newsweek...well mnost of the summer. And the G5 ads are in heavy rotation on ESPN and CNN. Hopefully it works out well. I need a new laptop that will last.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Heh. No I hadn't. I like the "wondering-WTF-happend" expression on the mothers face and the sound effects of sheet-rock falling, phone disconnect tone, dog running for life as the camera zeroes in on the trouble maker.

Mother? I assumed it was his girlfriend. She's hot.

And yes, the zoom-in sequence is very nice. It kind of bothers me that the phone wouldn't have been off the hook nearly enough to cause that tone, but I have a stick up my ass.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I must say I was incredibly impressed when I opened up my copy of The Economist a couple weeks ago and on the first two pages was what I assume is that same huge spread on the G5. They are really covering some ground with this marketing campaign - that is good to see. I know I want one!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the last huge ad compaign was think different (right?). i don't remember them doing as much print ads back then, but their t.v. spots were more frequent (or perhaps more noticeable). i really like the idea of them putting ads all over the place, and not just in techie mags. it'll increase exposure and create hype. a lot of people will buy on hype. i wish i had some free cash to throw into a brokerage account, so i could buy some apple (and short some scox); unfortunately (?) all my money is going toward a brand spanking new dualie g5.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Heh. No I hadn't. I like the "wondering-WTF-happend" expression on the mothers face...

She's not his f@*%ing mother! He's in his twenties. She's in her twenties. They are boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife living in the same house.

How is that not obvious?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Consider this.

Apple cannot ship G5's until either X.2.7 or Panther are gold.

Then one of them has to be loaded into all of those computers HD before they build and ship. If you think built machines are sitting in warehouses on some fantasy planet somewhere, forget it. They have not been built yet. It is going to be awhile before you see G5's
  • Reply 17 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What I think is truly awesome is how when people ask me what comp I'm getting, and I answer, "G5", they actually know exactly what I was talking about. Apple's name recognition has come a long ways, I remember how people thought ALL macs were called iMacs. That pissed me off to NO END. "Nice iMac!"

"That's an xserve, stupid!"
  • Reply 18 of 22
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

me off to NO END. "Nice iMac!"

"That's an xserve, stupid!"

• Reply 19 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

Consider this.

Apple cannot ship G5's until either X.2.7 or Panther are gold.

Then one of them has to be loaded into all of those computers HD before they build and ship. If you think built machines are sitting in warehouses on some fantasy planet somewhere, forget it. They have not been built yet. It is going to be awhile before you see G5's

This is why I think the backlog could go into next year.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Next year, no way.

They can knock em out really fast now. The only hold up is getting the HD's loaded with the op system. They do this before the things are put in the machines. Hundreds at a time.

I'd expect to see machines 7 days or less after gold master. All orders filled within a months time.

Just don't start looking for any deliveries until a GM of one of the systems is finished which could be any day now. G5 buyers will most certainly get a free up to Panther. Jobs would be run out of town if he sold new machines with x.2.7 then turned around a month latter and shipped them with Panther, screwing early purchasers.

No way, Apple is not that classless.