Best (retro) game ever is now Mac OSX native!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
ok, so maybe i'm getting old, maybe i'm just jaded as to the quality of games coming out these days, but i haven't found that much lately that really catches my eye.

so it was with great joy that i returned to this page to find out that my favorite game of all time has been ported to OSX.

what game am i talking about?

why none other than Star Control 2

probably one of the most fun games i ever played in my entire life, and i can now play it on my Mac any time i want. i actually bought a console just to play this game (boy do i feel stupid now!) but it was still worth it.

seriously, if you've never sat down and played this game, give it a shot. sure it's 8-bit graphics, but it's amazingly captivating, and actually has a plot and point. give it a shot and let me know what you think.

i can only imagine that those who have played this game in the past will want to download a copy for future enjoyment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I use to have this game for sega! Man that was a long time ago.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've so young I've never even heard of that game.

Of course, I often pass the time by playing Pac-Man.

1000th post!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    There are tons of new good games. From Ambrosia for example. Other cool little games like Snood. Exile and Avernum are great. SimCity 4 is fun. Max Payne is fun. So is UT2K3 if you like that kind of thing and UT2K4 will add vehicles finally. Sorta like 1942. I wish Command and Conquer Generals would get ported to Mac!!! MIke's Card's is good. Pocket Tanks is ok but no match for Dome Wars (where you actually get hurt by hits) which does not run in Classic. Someone should update this! Maybe make it 3d like Scorched 3d! That is a cool game that should be ported. I don't see why companies that kill products keep their source closed *cough* Apple HyperCard *cough* Racer will be a good game someday, if they can ever learn how to program actual GUIs without requiring editing INI files and other Windoze-like/Linux-like behavior. I can't wait for a Racer update. And I can't wait until someone explains how the hell I can use my iShock II USB controller with it. Hmm what else, Jedi Knight II, WarCraft, ottomatic, X-Plane, there are lots of new good games.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

ok, so maybe i'm getting old, maybe i'm just jaded as to the quality of games coming out these days, but i haven't found that much lately that really catches my eye.

so it was with great joy that i returned to this page to find out that my favorite game of all time has been ported to OSX.

what game am i talking about?

why none other than Star Control 2

probably one of the most fun games i ever played in my entire life, and i can now play it on my Mac any time i want. i actually bought a console just to play this game (boy do i feel stupid now!) but it was still worth it.

seriously, if you've never sat down and played this game, give it a shot. sure it's 8-bit graphics, but it's amazingly captivating, and actually has a plot and point. give it a shot and let me know what you think.

i can only imagine that those who have played this game in the past will want to download a copy for future enjoyment.

With you all the way, except Savage is a cool new game. But I don't know the controls to star control and can't get my F*ing lander to return to the ship.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Shift key returns the lander.

• Reply 6 of 18
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

Shift key returns the lander.

Excellent. Thank you.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Man, I thought you were talking about Bolo when I saw the thread title...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Sweet Jesus! Starcon2 was like the best game ever.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Well, at least Spaceward Ho! has been ported.

I still regularly (as in almost every day) play the Classic version. It's my stress-relief, vegging activity. Beats MTV.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Anyone remember WAY back in the day games like Uninvited and Shadowgate.

I played those when I was quite young. I've always wished they'd update them for today. They would have been far superior to the Myst series

Ahhhh, I remember so well playing those games on the old 512k
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Check for emulators on those old games. A lot of them can be played still. I love Star Control 2 though because it was never on a Mac. Open source hooked us up. One more benefit of a Unix core.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Shadowgate was great. and so was colony. how about guns and butter?

Thats now a free download ( along with all the authors other games ). Not sure if they'll run in classic, but went fine in OS 9.

And apache strike, and black and white dark castles, my first and favourite mac games. Shame the latest colour remakes seem to have stalled.

Prince of persia, I hope that the new PoP on gamecube has the old 2d games bundled, that would be fantastic. I remember how much better the mac version of PoP was compared to my friends copy on an amber screen PC with no sound card.

Never really got into uninvited.

First game I ever finished was space quest I.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Mouse Stampede!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Bolo was good.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
  • Reply 16 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Has anyone else heard of Dungeons of Doom? A bit like Rogue but with graphics and mouse control, in 1985. I spent ages playing it as a kid, There was a 32 bit clean version released later called The Dungeon Released but I never founf it.