Ipods with 20 & 40gb HDs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I`ve read somewhere that Apple will replace 15 & 30 with 20 & 40 and that`s one of the reasons why there r no 15gb to be found. i`m hunting for a 15gb (can`t find it anywhere thought)so any thoughts?Should i wait?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Given that the iPods were just updated, I wouldn't expect another bump this year. I don't know what Apple's supply chain is like in Serbia, but there could be more mundane reasons for the lack of 15GB models.

For what it's worth, Toshiba (the company that makes the 1.8" embedded hard drive in the iPod) lists only 5-30GB drives on its site.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think Apple needs to keep a smaller size of iPod. At least a 10GB. I wish they still had the 5GB. Not everyone has >10GB of music, so why should they have to pay the price for that size?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Plenty of 15 GB iPods at the Anaheim Fry's.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Plenty of 15 GB iPods at the Anaheim Fry's.

Very few in Denmark (I'm still waiting for mine :-()
  • Reply 5 of 19
    as i mentioned somewhere else, there are 60GB iPods. not sure if it's just proof-of-concept, full prototype, or soon-to-be released product, but they exist. I can't personally imagine what the product lineup would look like...either add 40 and 60GB to the top, or get rid of 15 & 30? i don't know. but i'm sure there are the rabbid-technologists out there who would eat them up.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    There's a new mystery drive that's smaller than the Toshiba and comes in 20 and 40GB capacities; it's used by the Rio Karma. Maybe Apple will switch to that.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hitachi has 20 and 40GB 1.8" drives. It was all over the tech pages a few months ago, along with plans to scale the capacity to 80GB.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    80GB iPod.....mmmmmmm

does the iPod play .aiff files?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by chef ramen noodle

80GB iPod.....mmmmmmm

does the iPod play .aiff files?

Yes. For various reasons I carried around about 5 uncompressed sound files on mine for while. It killed the battery life when I had to play them, but they worked.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I think Apple needs to keep a smaller size of iPod. At least a 10GB. I wish they still had the 5GB. Not everyone has >10GB of music, so why should they have to pay the price for that size?

I completely agree here. It would've been nice to see them keep the 5GB and knock a hundred bucks or so off the price. But I guess the current iPods are still selling great at their current price points so why mess with it?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    they`re selling so good i have to wait for a month to get mine, and i`ve been waiting since June 26th! Apple really treats us non US like shit! They keep Apple Stores full but we hv to wait for 2 months. I`m thinking about cancelling my order.

Stupid Apple
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Apple doesn't believe in ethnic cleansing.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    There were 15gb's at the apple store in Sacramento. I should know, i just bought one
  • Reply 14 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They should definitely have kept making the iPod 1.0 5gigger to get it down to Walkman prices by next year (under $99) That would make it a smash hit. Everyone with a computer would get one. They should not kill the 10 gig.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    i agree with what folks are sayign here - i'm a rabid music fan and i can barely fill my 30g iPod. granted, these are actually all cds i purchased myself, so maybe there's Kazaaheads that have 50G of music, but i really can't imagine needing a 60g iPod, for a while at least.

Apple would be wise to keep a more affordable, smaller capacity iPod available for people like my mom, who loves the design and functionality but doesn't want to pay $500 for capacity she's never going to use. (i did convince her to buy a refurbished 15g though...)
  • Reply 16 of 19
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I just bought a 15G ipod. No shortage here in chicago whatsoever.

BTW: I could really use a 60 G iPod.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Apple doesn't believe in ethnic cleansing.

Don't be an eejit

• Reply 18 of 19
    Yeah sure, the delivery system in Serbia is really up to par with that of other western countries, or even a priority considering there might be a market for iPods roughly equal to a small middle American suburb. Real priority: making sure the Serbs have iPods is gonna get that market share up to world beating levels.

The country's a mess, it'll get iPods when it gets iPods.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unbeliever

they`re selling so good i have to wait for a month to get mine, and i`ve been waiting since June 26th! Apple really treats us non US like shit! They keep Apple Stores full but we hv to wait for 2 months. I`m thinking about cancelling my order.

Stupid Apple

>>>In the U.S. right now it's a 2-3 week wait !! The extra weeks are probably for the fact that you are farther away than most, and the fact that you ARE out of the U.S.

go here for more help: customer help > problem with order