Anyone updated their PB superdrive's firmware?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Some of you must have seen the news article on Macnn, linking to this site: http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

Now, I'm in no rush to update, but at some time it would be great to use DVD-RW for backup. So, have any of you used this update, and more importantly, have any of you heard of it screwing up anyones powerbook?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    pfizepfize Posts: 3member
    Hi,

I did it. I haven't had any problems during the update and after the restart. The most important thing is: Everything works as it did before. So no damage is done to my PowerBook.

In the System Profiler it says now DVD-R UJ-815-A, Firmware D101.

I haven't burnt a DVD-R yet. But I could burn a CD-R with the speed of 16x. So far the update worked.

I have a 12'' PowerBook G4 (bought in Juli).

You have to make the decission for yourself, if you want to risc the update. The only thing I can tell you, it worked with my PowerBook. Maybe that helps you...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What do you mean it worked? If nothing changed it didn't. Is it double the speed at burning CDs and DVDs? Does it do DVD-RW? That is what the update is supposed to enable. Why the hell is Apple crippling SuperDrives? I could definitely use DVD-RW! I hate burning $1 frisbees!!! Because apparently my SuperDrive is acting flakey, Toast can't finish a DVD-R of a movie. Good thing it's only affecting the credits. When I need to start backing up...I think I'll call Apple about this tomorrow.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Looking at this Link

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

it should double the speed of burning CD-Rs from 8x to 16x and DVD-Rs from 1x to 2x.

I didn't test the result of the patch with a DVD-R. But I could burn a CD-R at a speed of 16x instead of 8x. So there might be a chance that it will also work to burn a DVD-R with 2x-speed. So regarding the speed of burning media the patch obviously worked.

The patch also should give the Apple Superdrive the ability to burn DVD-RW and DVD-RAM. I didn't test this, because I don't have any of these media available at the moment.

P.S. DVD-RAM isn't working. Maybe OS X isn't supporting it.

pfize
  • Reply 4 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Is there something similar to this PowerBook drive update for enabling DVD-RW in a Power Mac's SuperDrive? I vaguely recall reading that those drives are capable of DVD-RW, but also have that feature disabled in firmware.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I just want to make sure.

does this work with the 12" PB?

Just confirming so I don't mess sh!t up.

flick.

::edit::

Well there it is, right there in the readme!

"This disk image contains a firmware patch ONLY for the Matshita UJ-815 drive, which is available in Powerbooks (12", 867/1Ghz 15" and 17")."
  • Reply 6 of 17
    It worked on my 12'' PowerBook with the Superdrive (bought in July '03).

The Firmware was UJ-815 before and is UJ-815-A after the Update.

Make shure that no apps are running und the powerplug is in the socket, so there won't be any problems concerning power during the update. Don't disturb the updating process!! That will kill the drive.

Good Luck!

pfize
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Just Did it.

Confirmed that it works.

Just burnt a CD-R 500+ megs in 3:54.

Fast!

flick.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

Just Did it.

Confimed it works.

Just burn a CD-R 500+ megs in 3:54.

Fast!

flick.

Can you 'downgarde' ?

Just in case heat is a problem :-)
  • Reply 9 of 17
    The Link above says not yet.

"Currently, it is not possible (at least for me) to revert to

previous firmware revisions to undo this.

This may rectified in the future. "

I wonder though would it make the drive always spin faster?

if its burnning Faster and casuing more heat.. it would also be finished faster.. I dunno.

flick.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    There was the D0CB firmware posted at http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.ph...&manufactor=18, which is the original firmware of the 12" PowerBook's Superdrive. That might work if you wanted to downgrade it.

However, no-one in the firmware forum thread seems to want or need to yet.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Stoo, good news, I've managed to be able to downgrade the firmware back to the original (at least for the 12/15", the 17" firmware is not available at this time).

Best of luck to all of you who may try this.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    My SuperDrive never finishes DVD-Rs in Toast 5.2.1. I'm guessing because the feet fell off on the bottom of my 12" that the heat killed it. But oh well I have nothing to lose and 16x CDR is yummy! I've been at 8x for half a decade. Time for more! I'm going to install it. I'll let ya know about DVD-R, CD-R, and possibly DVD-RW but if anyone else can test that first because I haven't bought any yet I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone for contributing their insights.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by cynikal

Stoo, good news, I've managed to be able to downgrade the firmware back to the original (at least for the 12/15", the 17" firmware is not available at this time).

Best of luck to all of you who may try this.

Cool,

Where does one find such a firmware (15" Ti) ?

:-)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    same place you find the update firmware, halfway down the page is the update about information on it

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/
  • Reply 15 of 17
    It works! The only reason I can see that Apple would cripple our comps, like the guy on the site said, is heat reasons. But I'll ventilate my PB. So far I have seen that 2x DVDR is possible and burned a good CD at 16x. HOT DIGGITY!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

My SuperDrive never finishes DVD-Rs in Toast 5.2.1. I'm guessing because the feet fell off on the bottom of my 12" that the heat killed it. ....

off topic sorry

Ahh the feet. I gave up on the undstaffed "genius" bar and bought new feet at home depot. Little clear stick on kind. I put three on so it wouldn't tilt on any surface Two on under the palms in the front and one in the middle in the back.

[comic book store guy] Worse computer feet ever! [/comic book store guy]
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

[comic book store guy] Worse computer feet ever! [/comic book store guy]

Hehe good, I was nervous about what I'd do when we didn't go to the Apple Store while in the Lakes Region in NH and in Kittery Maine. Home Depot, we don't have any anywhere near White River Jct Vermont. Would Walmart or Kmart or Radioshack or anyone have them?