Bug or security hole? (Not Panther)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there folks, I just wanted to comment that I just change my password in OS X 10.2.4, and I'm able to login with my new password and my old one too. Does anyone know why this is? For the rest of the system my old password wont work, just to login. (Sorry this is not about Panther)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Did you restart? Maybe that has something to do with it.

And this forum isn't just about Panther, it's about the other versions too(10.1, 10.2, etc.).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Did you restart? Maybe that has something to do with it.

And this forum isn't just about Panther, it's about the other versions too(10.1, 10.2, etc.).

Yes, I did.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by raimac

Hi there folks, I just wanted to comment that I just change my password in OS X 10.2.4, and I'm able to login with my new password and my old one too. Does anyone know why this is? For the rest of the system my old password wont work, just to login. (Sorry this is not about Panther)

Is your new password the same as your old one with only a couple of different characters on the end? OS X only looks at the first eight characters of the password for the purpose of logging in, but uses all the characters for Keychain.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Texas Flood

Is your new password the same as your old one with only a couple of different characters on the end? OS X only looks at the first eight characters of the password for the purpose of logging in, but uses all the characters for Keychain.

EXACTLY!! Thank you very much!!!