Poll: Blaster takes out windowsupdate.com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now that Blaster is positioned on nearly 500,000 systems worldwide, will it succeed in it's attempt to bring WindowsUpdate to it's knees?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The zombie machines are all aimed at windowsupdate.com, which redirects to windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Microsoft will just change windowsupdate.com to the IP address 127.0.0.1, so the attack will go nowhere.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Isn't the figure like 1.4 million machines now?

And yeah, it was a pretty stupid idea to aim the attack at a domain.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    All I know is that most PC computers in my company (worldwide, not just US) were down a day to a day-and-a-half while the IT guys went around, workstation by workstation, loading the patch.

In my office, the only people who got any work done on computer were the 3 Mac users (me and 2 other designers).

8)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Has windowsupdate.com always been a low-bandwidth text-only page with but a handful of links? I find that hard to believe given the bloated style of most of MS's main pages. Maybe they're hoping to ride it out by brute server strength and small page size.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Has windowsupdate.com always been a low-bandwidth text-only page with but a handful of links? I find that hard to believe given the bloated style of most of MS's main pages. Maybe they're hoping to ride it out by brute server strength and small page size.

There is no way they can ride out that storm of that size, no matter how small the page is.

And I think that the text-only page you see is because it redirects Mac users(I think).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Problem with redirecting a domain to an non-existant (localhost) address is that it will also disable the service. And this virus is supposed to START at midnight on the 16th of August and run CONTINUOUSLY until 11:59pm on the 31st of December.

Was just informed by a co-worker that he was contacted by our MS rep that the virus has a payload being delivered tomorrow (unless, that is just bad info and it is actually the 16th windowsupdate.com ddos attack).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Microsoft have now started to hack into power stations to shut them down.

That way there won't be any computers turned on when Blaster is supposed to do it's work and windowsupdate.microsoft.com won't be attacked.

Expect to have the power back late Saturday.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Microsoft have now started to hack into power stations to shut them down.

• Reply 9 of 15
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Thats ODD, I thought MS had adopted poor performance and instability as their OS standard. Why should the website be any different ?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 11 of 15
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Just tried connecting to microsoft.com from work this morning ....nothing ... its still there but timing out operations left right and centre.

tee hee
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

Just tried connecting to microsoft.com from work this morning ....nothing ... its still there but timing out operations left right and centre.

tee hee

Isn't the attack supposed to start later today? Is it already happening?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Isn't the attack supposed to start later today? Is it already happening?

Don't know but i were a hacker i'd be saying yeah we're going to do a big dos attack on blah date and then sneak up and hit them a day early.

Of course it might be more to do with the dns issues i have been reading about caused by the east coast power outage.

Either way there shades of Terminator 3 creeping here ..
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Can't wait to hear the cause of this big blackout. Probably something stupid, but I wonder if virii could infect some of the systems that control the power grids....I think I will do some digging as to how these things actually work.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I hope so. Microsoft needs to pay for developing crap software like Internet Explorer.