Safari for Windows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Read About Crappy WinIE

I really doubt this will have as big of effect on IE as the article implies but why wouldn't Apple get their name out more and put out Safari for windows?

I can't imagine that it would be that much trouble and although I don't think people would flock to it, it would just be nice publicity.

Idea, non-sarcastic comments?

Edit: Also notice at the bottom of the article they don't list AAPL for the stock quotes although they mention Apple numerous times. AOL and IBM are mentioned once each I think and they are in the related quotes. I know there are a lot of names to list so it would make sense, but it always seems they are reluctant to list Apple in their quotes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Microsoft can make their own goddamn browser, and if they make one that sucks, that's their own goddamn fault.

iChat AV, on the other hand, would be good.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I just installed Mozilla 1.4 after ages of using IE on my PC. Much better i) than IE and ii) than versions of Mozilla from 2 years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    They could I suppose, but I don't see the point. Firebird is still the best browser on Windows IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I haven't tried FireBird for PC, I know mozilla is very good. I normally download and install that on machines I fix for my family members (uncles, aunts, cousins, you know)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Read About Crappy WinIE

I really doubt this will have as big of effect on IE as the article implies but why wouldn't Apple get their name out more and put out Safari for windows?

Safari is just as vulnerable to this stupid patent suit as IE is, as the comments from the KHTML developers illustrate.

Software patents are stifling in the best case, but when you have a non-company patenting obvious ideas and then sitting on them until they can sue a big fat target, it's time for a smackdown. That's a wholesale abuse of the patent system and it should not be tolerated. I'm rooting for MS on appeal.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Safari is just as vulnerable to this stupid patent suit as IE is, as the comments from the KHTML developers illustrate.

Software patents are stifling in the best case, but when you have a non-company patenting obvious ideas and then sitting on them until they can sue a big fat target, it's time for a smackdown. That's a wholesale abuse of the patent system and it should not be tolerated. I'm rooting for MS on appeal.

I know, they said that other browsers should buy rights. I agree with you that it is BS. I hope MS wins also, just got me thinking why not release it? I don't think it would be much work to port it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I know, they said that other browsers should buy rights. I agree with you that it is BS. I hope MS wins also, just got me thinking why not release it? I don't think it would be much work to port it.

But why release it? Safari exists because the Mac browser landscape was barren, and that was hurting the platform. The choice on Windows - even beyond IE - is and has been much better. I don't see how Safari would add anything.

Anyway, much the same result could be achieved with a KHTML-based browser for Windows. I believe they're already out there.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

But why release it? Safari exists because the Mac browser landscape was barren, and that was hurting the platform. The choice on Windows - even beyond IE - is and has been much better. I don't see how Safari would add anything.

Anyway, much the same result could be achieved with a KHTML-based browser for Windows. I believe they're already out there.

Agreed. Though something that I imagine would be easy to do (not sure, but think) that would just give apple a little more attention. Wouldn't be super popular but it just gets apple a little more exposure.

That is all it's worth.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Agreed. Though something that I imagine would be easy to do (not sure, but think) that would just give apple a little more attention. Wouldn't be super popular but it just gets apple a little more exposure.

That is all it's worth.

It would cost Apple to develop and support a Windows version of Safari, and I doubt it would motivate anyone to switch. On the other hand, it Apple makes Safari for the Mac even better it might increase the motivation to switch.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    They'd have to port webcore... for one app...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    There's no point. If you're a Win user and you're sick of IE, then obviously you should go with Mozilla.

...Maybe Firebird if you're the daring type...