Apple Settles Suit Over OSX on G3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I had not heard about this suit.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5063290.html

Are some older G3 users still having trouble using OSX, or is this suit just dealing with something that is now history? I have never had any trouble using OSX on my G3 iMac, but mine admittedly, is a newer one (Summer 2001 edition).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Man, that thing is old!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I had not heard about this suit.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5063290.html

Are some older G3 users still having trouble using OSX, or is this suit just dealing with something that is now history? I have never had any trouble using OSX on my G3 iMac, but mine admittedly, is a newer one (Summer 2001 edition).

I used to have a Beige 266/192 MB RAM/4GB Desktop model, I couldn't take advantage of anything. Too slow to do everything. I put a 30GB HD and installed Jaguar, all went better but it was not usable at all.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Think about bondi iMacs w/ 233 MHz G3s, 32 MB Ram, and 2 MB of VRam. Not pretty. Hell, our Rev D 333 iMac barely runs Jag acceptably. Granted, Panther does run a little better.

I have a beast of a Beige G3 tower, top o' the line at the time. I haven't touched it in a while... note sure if it even has Jag on it. Maybe I'll play with it some more once Panther's out. Hmmm...

Anyhow, all those iMac buyers saved Apple. Its too bad that the machines (5+ years old at this point) are too underpowered for X.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I think that, in reality, there has to be some acceptance that old hardware might not be able to run the newest software. This has generally been the way things work in computer systems development, given the fast and symbiotic advances in hardware and software. It appears, however, that the problem in this case was that Apple seems to have made some sort of promise that OSX would be functional on all G3s.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ok, so how do i fit in to this now? i bought a powermac g3 blue and white from my dad's college, and my teacher got me X for teachers, so does that mean that i qualify for all this rebate stuff?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by millhouse

ok, so how do i fit in to this now? i bought a powermac g3 blue and white from my dad's college, and my teacher got me X for teachers, so does that mean that i qualify for all this rebate stuff?

No, the B&W is not covered.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    darn it, well it should be, this is angering and quite frankly kinda sucks
  • Reply 8 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

What a loser. You got X for free and still want to milk money out of Apple? You know you have to pony up proof of purchase.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apple really fscked up when they made bold statements about X and G3s. They should have kept their mouth shut. Jackie Chiles showed up and kicked their butt. It's like suing a company for spilling hot coffee on yourself. If you think a new OS and paradigm is going to work on a computer from 5 or 6 years ago you wrong and it's not the company's fault. Apple has WAY better support than MS. OS 7.6.1 ran on computers 5 or 6 years old, that is a feat. Same with 9.2.2, it can be made to run on really archaic hardware! I guess people just got used to it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Under the system requirements it says you can run it on a G3, and you can. Just not as fast and not as full-featured (no Quartz Extreme). Unless you're talking about some really old G3's, then I have no real say.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Mac OS X supports your ATI Rage 128, it supports DVD playing, it supports the ports it has and so on.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Your Blue & White, like mine, can be taken to a gig of ram, a PCI Radeon 32mb, hardware raid, overclocked, firewire, G4 upgrades, et cetera...

My 450/576Ram/Radeon runs Jag more than acceptably and 10.3 is only better.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I run 10.2.6 on an iMac 266 ... no problems whatsoever!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    yea, but 25 bucks would still be nice, oh well as long as the other g3 folks get it thats good, it is good to see apple fixing this, i wonder if this means they will change panther's requirements to support beige's
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

yea, but 25 bucks would still be nice, oh well as long as the other g3 folks get it thats good, it is good to see apple fixing this, i wonder if this means they will change panther's requirements to support beige's

Why? And risk another suit? Panther won't support OldWorld Macs.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Since there are a couple of versions of G3 hardware (pre-iMac beige stuff and then the post 1998 jellybean, curvy stuff), Apple should just cover their butt and say "Panther only works worth a crap on anything colored, curvy or see-through or ultra-cool-looking. If it's square with sharp edges, kinda beige in color and has a SCSI port, bug off!".

That covers the iMacs and iBooks, the Cube, towers from the blue and white G3 and after, and the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Runnin' 10.2.6 on a 233MHz iMac with 256MB Ram. No problems. The operator claims that it is more responsive than when it had 9.X on it.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Ahhh good. I'll see if I can get the money I wasted on OS X back from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Runnin' 10.2.6 on a 233MHz iMac with 256MB Ram. No problems. The operator claims that it is more responsive than when it had 9.X on it.