Huge 10k RPM+ harddrives

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

It's just research which I have to use to support my clients, seeing as when I spec systems and technology I like to know where it's all going before I spend $10,000 and more of my customer's cash, and it's why I never spec DDS for customers.

Today's consumer with 180gig drives and fairly standard requirements has to recognise that backups are not a luxury but a prerequisite, akin to buying house insurance - I think you missed my point about the consumer with 1TB of disk space; if iTMS carried on growing in terms of catalog and the model was adapted for movies, games, etc, it would be perfectly feasible for a real anorak to spend $6000 a year for four years, which makes spending $1500 on a backup unit look like a good investment to me.

There was a horror story on one of the sites this week about someone who bought a whole load of stuff from iTMS whilst a US resident, moved to Canada, had a disk crash and now can't recreate his library - bet he wishes he'd joined .Mac. or did a backup.

Personally, I wish optical would develop more quickly for today's consumer, because 4.7GB on a DVD doesn't really work in your scenario. Really we need Blu-ray or DVD-HD to come along and make backups affordable and managable for all, either that or we need xDSL or some other always-on link to go up by an order of magnitude to 25Mbps, so that your backup is actually delivered on someone else's systems - funnily enough, this is the theme of a white paper I'm writing at the moment.

Fair enough
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by SideShowBob

Actually SAIT1 will be available in September in the UK... Consumers who want to make backups of their disks should either invest in an older tape system (ait1,DLT) or buy an external disk and just backup what's needed..

If you can live with the hassle of re-installing the system and apps if your drive fails. Then backing up data onto multiple DVD's or CD's is not such a big problem..

If that's true, can you point me at the manufacturer, because I thought it was libraries only until Spring 04, and then stand-alone units would ship.

Also, I think AIT-4 (200GB/520GB - 24/62MB/sec) is not that far from announcement - a new generation every 24-30 months - which is bound to have an impact on the prices of previous generations of AIT tech.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

If that's true, can you point me at the manufacturer, because I thought it was libraries only until Spring 04, and then stand-alone units would ship.

Also, I think AIT-4 (200GB/520GB - 24/62MB/sec) is not that far from announcement - a new generation every 24-30 months - which is bound to have an impact on the prices of previous generations of AIT tech.

I will have a look for the name of the store when I am at work tomorrow. You are right AIT 4 is just around the corner.. Great thing about AIT is the backward compatability..
  • Reply 24 of 24
    The company was called span.

www.span.com

I spoke to one of their rep's on wednesday and he said they would be shipping in september, the price is not known at the moment although they do have an RRP of $16,000 from Sony.

Hope it helps..