Dems Slam Bush on Blackout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have to admit to being surprised as to how fast this started. Some of the quotes are just hilarious.

http://www.foxnews.com.edgesuite.net...,94897,00.html

Gephardt:

Quote:

"The unfortunate events on the East Coast, parts of the Midwest and in Canada yesterday are further evidence that the Bush administration is inexorably tied to Persian Gulf oil and old energy, and is incapable of devising a comprehensive, forward-looking energy strategy," Missouri Rep._Dick Gephardt (search)_said in a statement Friday.

Kerry:

Quote:

"If it weren't for this administration's obsession with giveaways to their friends in the oil business, Congress likely would have passed an energy bill last year, parts of which were designed to strengthen and modernize the electric grid," said Massachusetts Sen._John Kerry

I mean...really! It's like Monty Python logic! What really perplexes me is that as insane these statments are, even if the attacks were true, they are NOT WORKING. They haven't been working, and won't work. they need a real agenda. Importing oil has nothing to do with this. Nothing. This is a transmission problem, and everyone knows it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Everyone knows that electricity made from middle east oil doesn´t flow through the power grid as well as electricity produced from other energy sources. Thats why we never have any problems with our grid here in scandinavia where we use our own oil.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It was only a matter of time until the Democrats started blaming the Republicans and the Republicans starting to blame the Democrats.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I thought we all agreed to blame Canada.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    shawnshawn Posts: 32member
    You might be interested in one of Bush's comments about the recent blackout crisis in the northeast. By "comments" I mean flat-out lie. The Chicago Tribune found it first in its article, House GOP Rejected Bill Improving Grid in '01. The Tribune catches George W. Bush saying he thought all along that the power grid should have been modernized when he and House GOP opposed legislation in 2001 that would have done just that. The official claim was:

Quote:

?We?ll have time to look at it and determine whether or not our grid needs to be modernized. I happen to think it does, and have said so all along.? -George Bush, 8/14/03

Eric Alterman has more.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Correct.

This is all Canada's fault. Anyone claiming otherwise is running for president. That is all.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:

took the words right out of my mouth(erm...fingers?), which took them from conan
  • Reply 7 of 56
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Importing oil has nothing to do with this. Nothing. This is a transmission problem, and everyone knows it.

Re-read the quotes because I don't think you understand them. The point is actually very clear, and not what you're calculating.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Don't blame Canada, blame Ohio. Everyone knows Ohio is by far the worst of the states. Ohio sucks. BOOO Ohio!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I would much rather blame Canada than Ohio, I just went to Ohio not too long ago and had quite a good time.

I'd never think that the Bush administration was responsible in any way for the blackouts, but it took forever to get an official statement of any kind. Even when we did it was not much of a statement.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I can't blame Ohio becase I like Drew Carey. I can't blame Canada because I like Jim Carrey. So I'm blaming Gray Davis here in California. He's going down with the recall so why not just pin this on him too.

Nick
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I would much rather blame Canada than Ohio, I just went to Ohio not too long ago and had quite a good time.

I'd never think that the Bush administration was responsible in any way for the blackouts, but it took forever to get an official statement of any kind. Even when we did it was not much of a statement.

And say what? They didn't know jack. By the way, it looks like it was (at least partly) Ohio's fault.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shawn

You might be interested in one of Bush's comments about the recent blackout crisis in the northeast. By "comments" I mean flat-out lie. The Chicago Tribune found it first in its article, House GOP Rejected Bill Improving Grid in '01. The Tribune catches George W. Bush saying he thought all along that the power grid should have been modernized when he and House GOP opposed legislation in 2001 that would have done just that. The official claim was:

Eric Alterman has more.

Looks like it was shot down at least once because of an amendment that would be subsidizing the energy costs of the poor. It is perfectly understandable that Republicans would vote against increasing welfare.

I hate riders and bill amendments. They ruin the system. Fvcking dumbass Democrats should take half the blame here for adding a welfare amendment to an energy grid bill. Bastards. I hate them all.

Can we PLEASE ditch this stupid two party system? PLEASE???
  • Reply 13 of 56
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    I'm with BR on this one.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Looks like SDW's scraping the bottom of the barrel again. Between dredging for things like this and Kerry's cheesesteak he's bound to find something down there in the muck.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Re-read the quotes because I don't think you understand them. The point is actually very clear, and not what you're calculating.

You have got to be kidding me. What they are saying is pure rhetorical nonsense. US dependancy on oil has ZERO to do with this. It's not even a production problem. Come on, bunge.

jimmac: The cheesesteak thing was funny. Lighten up.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

US dependancy on oil has ZERO to do with this.

But the blackouts do make a great segway to the problem.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

I mean...really! It's like Monty Python logic!

Its politics and politicians. they are all pretty much full of sh*t quite frankly, wether republican, democrat, independant. Each one blames the other when something goes wrong, yet it would go wrong even if the other were in charge.. they are all full of crap. I hate politics, dislike politicians, and lawyers(most politicians were or are lawyers)
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

with their flopping heads so full of lies!

• Reply 19 of 56
    Seems the Bush administration is just causing one big f*ckup after another.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

with their flopping heads so full of lies!

It's flapping heads and beady little eyes.