iPod generation difference

osxosx
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know the difference between the iPod 1st generation and the iPod 2nd generation? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well there is a problem defining what you mean by generation...

the first iPod released was in november 2001 it was a 5 gig manual scroll

the 10 gig version was released at MWTokyo02 (i think) it also had a manual scroll wheel

at MWNY02 the 20 gig version was released and a revamped 10 gig was also released both with a touch wheel... the original 5 gig was unchanged...

that is the way it stayed until the NEW iPods that were released at the Music special event... these have all touch controls with buttons that light up in red. they are MUCH smaller and of a better design overall compared to the old iPods

which do you mean?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    osxosx Posts: 34member
    That explains alot but what would the difference be then between the 5gb and the second 10gb revamped ipod, excluding the hard drive difference? Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    The scroll wheel.

5Gb versions (1st Gen) actually MOVED. The newer 10Gb's (2nd Gen) have a touch pad type wheel.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    10 gig. generation 2 also started shipping with a wired "remote" and a case
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hmm? how does the scroll "wheel" work on the newer iPods, if it is just touch sensitive with no moving parts? I've never uderstood how it worked.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Automagically!

The iPods with the touch-sensitive buttons are considered third generation. The first and second generation iPods look pretty much the same, the hard drive is the main difference. The second generation iPods have 10GB, 15GB and 20GB hard drives. The 20GB model was a bit thicker than the 10GB and 15GB models, which I believe were basically the same from first to second generation. I think there were some other software/firmware goodies in the second generation models, though I don't know what those goodies would be.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Hmm? how does the scroll "wheel" work on the newer iPods, if it is just touch sensitive with no moving parts? I've never uderstood how it worked.

it feels a bit like a trackpad on a laptop so I imagine it works in a similar way, changing voltages as you move your finger over it.