Favorite Pub Tricks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not that I get to go to the pub that often these days, but I love taking up those little pub challenges that people come up with when their half sozzled... like tricks with matches, or coins etc...

I have one up my sleeve that can still win me a few rounds of beer...

I call the it the Da Vinci puzzle...

I set a sheet of blank paper before my intended victim and tell them the story of how Leonardo was vying for a papal contract.

The pope's emmissary called on old Leonardo to provide him with some sort of proof that he was the worthiest contender...

Leonardo was insulted at first..but rising to the challenge he went to his drawing desk and ( with his back facing the emissary ) proceeded to draw something on the paper.

Turning around, he handed it over to the Pope's emmissary.

A little later the Pope looked at it and marvelled, for as the emmissary testified, Leonardo had drawn a perfect circle without the aid of any mechanical device..

No compass, no templates, no coins ..nothing..just a perfect free circle..with pen and hand...

How did he do it...?

After years of pondering this story as an art student, I finally worked out how he did it.. and like all hard earned knowledge I tested it out in the University pub...It earn't me a few beers in my time as a student..

.And yes anyone can do it..it just requires some lateral thinking.

What's your trick ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I say "I bet I can get a Contra man to run across that scanner's screen and shoot aliens."

Of course, this won't really work until this fall.

As for the circle thing, there is obviously some trickery involved. Perhaps it involves the condensation ring left when a cold glass of beer is left on a bar for a while, and the fact that ink may take to the wet areas of the paper.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Leonardo just traced the papal watermark.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Leonardo just traced the papal watermark.

Not even close..that's two beers so far...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i know a pretty cool trick. when someone else orders a round of shots, you take them from your friends before they drink em. put them all next to each other and under an opaque hat. you say to someone "i'll bet ya a dollar i can drink all these without touching the hat." when someone accepts, put ur dollar on the table, pick up the hat with your hand, and pound all that alcohol quickly. your friend goes, "you idiot, u just lost a dollar." and you reply, "yea, but who just paid for all my shots?" note: also works with other drinks, so long as you have a tall enough hat, and you can drink them before someone calls you out on the bet.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Is the paper creased or folded in any way?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    [oops]
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Maybe you could spin the paper around a point? The question is, how?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    1. holding pencil with thumb, indes and middle finger.

2. with wrist off the table/paper, put the tip of your ring finger on paper, anchoring your whold hand/fist

3 put the tip of the pencil (or writing/drawing device) on paper, and spin the paper. the tip of your ring finger would be the center of the circle

4. done!

that's how i do it
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Lateral? You mean drawing a side view of the circle?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    When you go to the pub with a friend, and you both order a pint, bet him the next round that he can't balance his on top of his two thumbs. When he takes you up on it, have him place his thumbs on the counter, and place the pint on top.

Sure, you just lost the bet, but he can't get the pint off without spilling it
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wagnerite

1. holding pencil with thumb, indes and middle finger.

2. with wrist off the table/paper, put the tip of your ring finger on paper, anchoring your whold hand/fist

3 put the tip of the pencil (or writing/drawing device) on paper, and spin the paper. the tip of your ring finger would be the center of the circle

4. done!

that's how i do it

That's the answer Wangerite ! well done.

Hold the pencil as you would any pencil, then turn your hand slightly so that your resting your hand on the nail tip of your ring finger.

Making sure that you've got a good tight hold on the pen, begin to rotate the paper underneath with your free hand..

That's all there is to it..

A little bit of lateral thinking and a bit of practice.

Just for extra fun, I'd get the intended victim (s) to try to draw free hand circles first. Unless your victim knows the answer, they're circle will look really bad..especially since they're drunk...

PS Wangers & i will be excepting your free beers ..thanx guys...
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

pub

Quote:

sozzled

You're from England aren't you?

Bar

Toasted
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

That's the answer Wangerite ! well done.

Hold the pencil as you would any pencil, then turn your hand slightly so that your resting your hand on the nail tip of your ring finger.

Making sure that you've got a good tight hold on the pen, begin to rotate the paper underneath with your free hand..

That's all there is to it..

A little bit of lateral thinking and a bit of practice.

Just for extra fun, I'd get the intended victim (s) to try to draw free hand circles first. Unless your victim knows the answer, they're circle will look really bad..especially since they're drunk...

I could probably win a few rounds of pints off of you just by challenging you to use there, their, and they're appropriately.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I could probably win a few rounds of pints off of you just by challenging you to use there, their, and they're appropriately.

Not with that appalling grammar..

I think your trying to say :

" I could probably win a few pints from you with the grammatical challenge to use there, their and they're appropriately "

Don't you hate a smart arse....
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Touché
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by va1entino

Bar

Toasted

I would rather choke than to be thought of as a Pommy.

Put it this way...I know Americans think they live in the best country..but mate I have to tell ya..Aussies KNOW they are living in God's best country

..that's why it was left to be discovered last....always save the best till last..

Keep the beers coming mate....
  • Reply 17 of 21
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by va1entino

Bar

Toasted

Watering Hole

Smashed
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

That's the answer Wangerite ! well done.........

i believe, you owe me a pint. because i have solved the mystery!!

so, hand me a piece of their paper, and, right there... on the paper, i'll draw three perfect circles They're all gonna be perfect.

now you owe me two pints
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I've got this trick where I go into a pub and start ordering beer. Sometimes whiskey. And eventually, I end up really drunk.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    When you're sitting at the bar with a friend, tell them that at some point in the night you will catch them by surprise. Wait five minutes, and then punch them in the face. Ok, not so much of a trick, nor a good idea... \