Anybody get hit by MSBlast? lol

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Damn it feels great to have a mac when I see all the other people whince in pain.

Then all I do is point at my machine and say "Damn u dirty virus! Just try and infect me now! MWAHAHAHA"

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Yeah, my campus got hit bad. All the IT guys were running around like chickens with their heads cutoff. Mind you, these are the same guys who tease me about using a Powerbook when I am at work. Anyway, 90% of the campus PCs were down, meanwhile, I was getting ACTUAL work done. They haven't said a word to me about using a Mac all week.

I mentioned I used a Mac to a kid in Circuit City and he looked at me like I was a member of some alien race. We were talking about the worm and he said that the only reason Macs don't get hit is because nobody uses them...which in a sense is true, but the fact that everytime I say I use a Mac when one of these retail idiots ask me what kind of computer I have, and they look at me funny...it just pisses me off .

But It's all good considering I get actual work done while they are downloading patches and losing info from viruses and worms.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Yeah, my campus got hit bad. All the IT guys were running around like chickens with their heads cutoff. Mind you, these are the same guys who tease me about using a Powerbook when I am at work. Anyway, 90% of the campus PCs were down, meanwhile, I was getting ACTUAL work done. They haven't said a word to me about using a Mac all week.

I mentioned I used a Mac to a kid in Circuit City and he looked at me like I was a member of some alien race. We were talking about the worm and he said that the only reason Macs don't get hit is because nobody uses them...which in a sense is true, but the fact that everytime I say I use a Mac when one of these retail idiots ask me what kind of computer I have, and they look at me funny...it just pisses me off .

But It's all good considering I get actual work done while they are downloading patches and losing info from viruses and worms.

IT'S ALL SCULLEY'S FAULT! The ****er dug the company so far into shit, it's only starting to tunnel out!

I once tried to argue why I use a Mac (I didn't start it! I mentioned I was on an iMac, and she said I needed to grow up. ). I like things to work, I've used both platforms and absolutely hate Windblows. She said something like despite all it's bugs and problems it's the better OS and she didn't want to be spoon-fed, and actually enjoyed struggling to keep her computer alive. She'd obviously never even used a Mac.

BUT IT JUST PISSES ME OFF that they can assert that Macs are in all ways inferior to their cheap, unreliable, clunky, horribly-designed/coded corner-store garbage when it's just bullshit they've been TOLD. Most of them have never even used a Mac! Macs are for creating. When I use my computer I want to make something with it, not out of it. Mindless, uncreative, unoriginal, FOOLS.

? I'm sorry that just came out. So, this virus is programmed to strikle a server at Microsoft? Why doesn't everyone just let it get to work? I want to meet the guy(s) who made it and shake his/their hand(s).(!)
  • Reply 3 of 36
    CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

IT'S ALL SCULLEY'S FAULT! The ****er dug the company so far into shit, it's only starting to tunnel out!

I once tried to argue why I use a Mac (I didn't start it! I mentioned I was on an iMac, and she said I needed to grow up. ). I like things to work, I've used both platforms and absolutely hate Windblows. She said something like despite all it's bugs and problems it's the better OS and she didn't want to be spoon-fed, and actually enjoyed struggling to keep her computer alive. She'd obviously never even used a Mac.

BUT IT JUST PISSES ME OFF that they can assert that Macs are in all ways inferior to their cheap, unreliable, clunky, horribly-designed/coded corner-store garbage when it's just bullshit they've been TOLD. Most of them have never even used a Mac! Macs are for creating. When I use my computer I want to make something with it, not out of it. Mindless, uncreative, unoriginal, FOOLS.

? I'm sorry that just came out. So, this virus is programmed to strikle a server at Microsoft? Why doesn't everyone just let it get to work? I want to meet the guy(s) who made it and shake his/their hand(s).(!)

Anyone who has that much time on their hands to constantly battle bugs needs a life.

Don't read the next paragraph unless you're really bored

I agree with your point though. In my age group(this is what I hate about middle school), most people have never even used a recent Mac. They all think that Macs mean the ten-year-old Performa's that our district uses. When someone asks what version of Windows I use, I say I don't use Windows and they start calling me a dork because Macs suck and they then go on to list the various lies about why Macs are so bad(can't run any software, yada yada yada). So then I try to counter saying that Macs run pretty much all the software you'll need and then some(iMovie, Konfabulator, iTMS(which doesn't really help my argument since they all pirate their music), iDVD, and so on). They don't really care, because they think that Microsoft started all the Digital Hub stuff(they don't call it that). I hate ignorance.

Forget it.

Ok, I'm done

The last time I used XP I wanted to throw the mouse across the room because of that annoying Start menu! I shouldn't have to click on "Programs" to open the menu!

What about variations of Blaster? Will we have a Blaster.b and so on like we have had with other viruses? Could someone aim a Blaster variant at, say, one of the top-level domain name servers?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Don't like MS but DOS attacks or attacks on any domain is not cool. It just creates a lot of useless bandwidth getting used up. Would you want someone to do that to Apple?

The real question is, would MS create a patch for it if it did or just let it go?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Anyone who has that much time on their hands to constantly battle bugs needs a life.

Don't read the next paragraph unless you're really bored

I agree with your point though. In my age group(this is what I hate about middle school), most people have never even used a recent Mac. They all think that Macs mean the ten-year-old Performa's that our district uses. When someone asks what version of Windows I use, I say I don't use Windows and they start calling me a dork because Macs suck and they then go on to list the various lies about why Macs are so bad(can't run any software, yada yada yada). So then I try to counter saying that Macs run pretty much all the software you'll need and then some(iMovie, Konfabulator, iTMS(which doesn't really help my argument since they all pirate their music), iDVD, and so on). They don't really care, because they think that Microsoft started all the Digital Hub stuff(they don't call it that). I hate ignorance.

Forget it.

Ok, I'm done

The last time I used XP I wanted to throw the mouse across the room because of that annoying Start menu! I shouldn't have to click on "Programs" to open the menu!

What about variations of Blaster? Will we have a Blaster.b and so on like we have had with other viruses? Could someone aim a Blaster variant at, say, one of the top-level domain name servers?

Ahahahah, you in the same shitty community of slack-jawed scum I'm in? I hate my age-group (around 16).

This hate for Macs comes from the idea that if you know how to use a computer, you must be some sort of genius for understanding the operating system's backward-logic and corner-cutting code language. It's not about actually using the thing, it's about tuning it up and correcting the designers mistakes. Windows is perfect for this hobbie.

On a Mac, I find it is so logicallay thought-out and fun to use that I can get on to editing movie projects for school in iMovie (hopefully FCE, come September?), or tinkering with Photoshop or writing in Word (ehh?). No, they won't want to do that, because they're already too busy fixing what Microsoft broke. But it doesn't matter to them, the ROACHES that gather and scatter at my HS, they enjoy the endless struggle, because those apathetic, ignorant, uncultured FILTH wouldn't have an original thought in their head to put into creation! THEY ARE SCUM? and it seems like all of them, too. The gamerz, they are Microsoft's target audience. Man, get a GameCube. I've decided its the best of the three "next-gen" consoles. What with the PS2's poor game production? I WAS PROMISED FFX WOULD KICK-ASS, BUT IT DID NOT?but, I'm getting into another rant/ramble. A "rantle!" Ah ha ha ha ha?

You know, most of my PC-user friends HATE winXP. They're defecting to Linux, sticking with win2000, and one has even mentioned getting a PowerBook for university. I even showed my friend Erick my choice of platform, and now he drools over the hardware more than I do. See, it's just ignorance. Macs aren't showed off in prime conditions enough. Just as OS 9 on an old, scummy-from-dirty-HS-students'-hands-type tray-loading iMacs. That's not fair!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Don't like MS but DOS attacks or attacks on any domain is not cool. It just creates a lot of useless bandwidth getting used up. Would you want someone to do that to Apple?

The real question is, would MS create a patch for it if it did or just let it go?

Yeah, DOS attacks aren't cool. Some 'harmless defacing" of MS's main site would be far more entertaining, it would be more effective at pointing out MS's security flaws ("they can't even protect their own site!"), and most importantly, it would do it without disrupting my online gaming. Not that I would condone illegally hacking anyone's site.

Hmm... now that I think of it... I think MS, Apple, and all OS vendors should have a site dedicated to letting hackers hack it. I bet the OS vendors would be a lot more careful with all that public light on their security (or in MS's case, lack thereof).
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Yeah, DOS attacks aren't cool. Some 'harmless defacing" of MS's main site would be far more entertaining, it would be more effective at pointing out MS's security flaws ("they can't even protect their own site!"), and most importantly, it would do it without disrupting my online gaming. Not that I would condone illegally hacking anyone's site.

Hmm... now that I think of it... I think MS, Apple, and all OS vendors should have a site dedicated to letting hackers hack it. I bet the OS vendors would be a lot more careful with all that public light on their security (or in MS's case, lack thereof).

They would be better off, but it would be kinda embarrassing for some. Security companies do this all day anyways haha
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

They would be better off, but it would be kinda embarrassing for some. Security companies do this all day anyways haha

I'm sure they do, but do they publish the results? I'd even be happy with a chart showing the # and severity of security holes for every major OS.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

I'm sure they do, but do they publish the results? I'd even be happy with a chart showing the # and severity of security holes for every major OS.

When these security companies find problems they normally inform the maker of the software (normally MS ) and give a vague description to the public until the software vendor fixes the problem. I think that is how it normally goes down.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

When these security companies find problems they normally inform the maker of the software (normally MS ) and give a vague description to the public until the software vendor fixes the problem. I think that is how it normally goes down.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that . Is there a site that shows the history of these reports?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that . Is there a site that shows the history of these reports?

I am not sure, I don't even really understand how these security companies get money to stay in business. I would assume they have a list of stuff they've found on their website, but not too indepth unless its been a while. Also not sure of their names.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    There was a contest a long time ago where they set up a Mac OS 6 or 8 box (cant remember which) and said hack away and served a web page from it. No other addons or any security things like that. They would have gave some couple million bucks away to the person that hacked it. The only problem is no one could do it.

I know its not that impressive because it was just OS what ever only open to port 80 really but good PR for Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

There was a contest a long time ago where they set up a Mac OS 6 or 8 box (cant remember which) and said hack away and served a web page from it. No other addons or any security things like that. They would have gave some couple million bucks away to the person that hacked it. The only problem is no one could do it.

I know its not that impressive because it was just OS what ever only open to port 80 really but good PR for Apple.

I'm pretty sure it was 8. I'm not even sure 6 could use the internet.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure it was 8. I'm not even sure 6 could use the internet.

I bet 6 could, my IIGS was build in for up to 56k at least
  • Reply 16 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Ahahahah, you in the same shitty community of slack-jawed scum I'm in? I hate my age-group (around 16).

Probably.

If there's any downside to being a Mac user, this is it. But all the upsides make up for it.

The problem in my age group(12-14) is that they don't appreciate the things that the Mac offers. That, and since they all just pirate music, they see that Kazaa isn't availible for the Mac, so they assume it sucks.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Probably.

If there's any downside to being a Mac user, this is it. But all the upsides make up for it.

The problem in my age group(12-14) is that they don't appreciate the things that the Mac offers. That, and since they all just pirate music, they see that Kazaa isn't availible for the Mac, so they assume it sucks.

There are alternatives. They are just pissed that they don't have the iTMS yet
  • Reply 18 of 36
    I honestly can't wait the five weeks it'll take to get my new mac.

Though there are two points I'd like to make.

One) M$, being stupid as all get out, still had the ability to patch this sucker a MONTH before the worm was even released. Sad, but true. Those few who did patch their computers could care less about exploit worms because they usually do precisely jack.

Two) I've been told that ANY firewall would stop this worm and most others. At least the ones that go for wierd ports that shouldn't be open in the first place.

I'm in college now and the slack you get for being a mac user, or even wanting a mac for that matter, doesn't go away. The arguments about games and kazaa are stll there, plus a few new ones. "Only stoners use macs" is probably my favorite so far. Usually the people give slack about pirated software ("I could give you this for free, but it won't run on your computer") because it's more of a social thing rather than a way to get free software.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    A few scenerios would like to share....but a lot of them are quite silly

Scenerio 1

A bunch of cheap computer geeks sat with me. When I talk about I am "Bi" (That means using both Mac and PC. Jesus, I love using this word. People all laugh at me when I say that ) People are suprised when they know I use Mac. Then they say "Well. Mac sucks. You can't PIRATE Mac software"

Scenerio 2

I was in a recording / music studio watching my friend doing a song recording. When I walked around I saw couple of business man guided by the receptionist. When they were guided into the studio floor and saw tons of Cinema Displays. They were shocked and said "Wow. That's beautiful display".......then when they saw the Apple logo......then they said "Oh, well, it's just an Apple....."

Scenerio 3

One day.....I met a guide who called himself a "video director"

He told me he could use the XP's Windows Movie Maker to edit video. Then he said Final Cut Pro sucks blah blah blah.........

Well.....this guy probably doesn't know what he's talking. WMM doesn't output to tape

A lot of scenerio I have been are quite pointless but something can be a good laugh

Basically I don't make arguments with people about Mac vs PC. A lot of them won't listen anyway.

Keep in mind that as a Mac person you can't be too bias. BE NETURAL.

If you argue too hard people will hate Macs even more. The best thing is to just let it flow naturally. One day when they are getting ultimately frustrate then they may be more open and listen.

Convincing a person to switch to another platform is just like to ask him to believe in another religion. It's really depending on what's happening. Timing is vital

I have made about 7 people to be Mac Geeks? (or made them "Bi", just like me) in the last two years by using my "fu*king you slowly and gently" tactic.......and it works

A lot of my friends suggest me to work in a computer store (they think I have full of knowledge)....nah....with my "no push" policy I am sure the boss will fire me in the first day.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by R_Peach

I honestly can't wait the five weeks it'll take to get my new mac.

Though there are two points I'd like to make.

One) M$, being stupid as all get out, still had the ability to patch this sucker a MONTH before the worm was even released. Sad, but true. Those few who did patch their computers could care less about exploit worms because they usually do precisely jack.

Two) I've been told that ANY firewall would stop this worm and most others. At least the ones that go for wierd ports that shouldn't be open in the first place.

Yeah, nimda, slammer, code red all had patches out ~6 months prior, but it didn't stop their damage. Too many corporate admins are just lazy or incompetent.

My friend called me up last week because he got infected on a system I setup for him, even though I enabled automatic update and explained what it was for/what he needed to do, he's just been ignoring all the update prompts, not even reading them either.

So, as long as ANY bugs ship with an OS as popular has windows and microsoft doesn't force users to patch(a worm that patches anyone? ), then we'll be stuck with this crap.