G5's to ship tommorrow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey macrumors is posting that the G5 will start shipping tommorrow. Anybody willing to bit on the possibility. The rumors are demos in stores.

Personally I'd love to see one as I've never liked the idea off buying something so revolutionary without a little hands on experience first. Well that and the fact that I'm trying to hold out for a case upgrade. It really bums me out that I can't even add a compact flash reader internally, much less anything else.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    It would be cool if they did ship. One thing for sure, this topic would habe to be moved to current hardware!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    That's what I need, a built-in compact flash reader sitting right below the Floppy Drive that sits next to the Zip Drive...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

That's what I need, a built-in compact flash reader sitting right below the Floppy Drive that sits next to the Zip Drive...

A Toaster slot would be more useful than all those drives combined. Like, pop tart sized. Now that'd be cool! That's what they'd call it too. The Pop Tart Slot.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

A Toaster slot would be more useful than all those drives combined. Like, pop tart sized. Now that'd be cool! That's what they'd call it too. The Pop Tart Slot.

I think they make that as BTO for the MDD DP 1.42 when 4 HD and 2 opticals and 4 pci cards are installed. It's actually a cooling augmentation feature then.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The only problem with that is that there are few uses any more for any of those disk drives. On the other hand compact flash has a rather positive future due to it being adopted by all makers of professional camera systems.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

• Reply 6 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is my understanding that the next rev of the G5 WILL HAVE a toaster slot sitting between the two CPU's. The thought being of course to harvest all the energy that the 3.5 GHz CPU's soak up. Further the heat sinks will be reengineered to brown the toast with an imprint of "G5" on one side of the toaster and Apple on the other.

There is a rumor going about that this feature might be made optional. On the other hand it would be a good selling point for the green movement.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

• Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

The only problem with that is that there are few uses any more for any of those disk drives. On the other hand compact flash has a rather positive future due to it being adopted by all makers of professional camera systems.

Yep, but i bought one of those 6 in 1 drives that works nice enough and I can take it on the road with me and my PB.

(edit: and it does get used)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Hey macrumors is posting that the G5 will start shipping tommorrow. Anybody willing to bit on the possibility. The rumors are demos in stores.

A demo is coming to my store, although it's only the 1.6 Ghz model, and the rep said that he's not getting any more machines for another week or two. But I'm still going over to check out the new gear!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Apples front page now states the G5 is shipping !!!

go check it out

"Power Mac G5. The worlds fastest personal computer. Now shipping."
  • Reply 10 of 27
    That has to be the most bad-ass computer box ever.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    I'll be at the Soho store when it opens. Pictures anyone?

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait two more weeks for my dual 2Ghz. At least cheaper 3rd party 1gig DIMM memory is becoming available.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by discstickers

That has to be the most bad-ass computer box ever.

OH. MY. GOD.

I really wasn't prepared for the sheer SEX of that thing this early in the morning.

• Reply 13 of 27
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I want to fornicate with that box...

\
  • Reply 14 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

I want to fornicate with that box...

\

Not me I just want the "guts"
  • Reply 15 of 27
    it's gutfest '89
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Current Hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I walked past a bus stop this morning whose grill structure looked like a giant G5..

\

As soon as they announce panther upgrades for free i getting a frelling dual 2gig...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Fixed title, moving to Current Hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    709:

Silly question. How were you able to post the complete image. It is split in two on the Apple site.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

709:

Silly question. How were you able to post the complete image. It is split in two on the Apple site.

It's split in two in his post!