InfoWorld: Apple in the enterprise

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
InfoWorld has very positive things to say about Apple in the enterprise -- mostly about the G5 and XServe RAID:

http://www.infoworld.com/reports/SRapple.html

There's a link on the right to a PDF of the entire article. Great read.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think Apples got some great stuff to enter this space but it will be almost impossible to change big corporates mentality.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have been wondering for years why Apple has completely given up on big business. I think they need to change that and I think they are doing it by trying to come in the back-door (servers) rather than in the front desks.

If Apple never tries to regain a presence in business then this will hold them back in all other areas and their market share will not climb. How many times have people choosen to buy a PC for home because that is what they have at work? How many parents and school admins push PCs because that is what the kids will work on when they get a job? (This has always been a dumb arguement as I see it. Someone in middle school now will enter the job market and whatever OS they learn now will look very different in the future.) It helps that Apple is making their OS play a nice as possible with Windows and MS office. I read somewhere that text edit opens Word files. Nonetheless, I think most people now little about computers and if they work on a PC then they walk into Best Buy and buy a PC because they now nothing about a Mac. Its unlikley that Apple can gain significan tmarket share by winning consumers who then turn on their IT departmetns at work to bring in Macs, they have to win IT to get Macs on the desks at work which then leads to more customers for home use.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I have been wondering for years why Apple has completely given up on big business. I think they need to change that and I think they are doing it by trying to come in the back-door (servers) rather than in the front desks.

Apple will target big business with Mac OS X Server 10.3 - no more 'just a workgroup server' from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Apple should first go after third party IT outsourcing companies (such as EDS) - these guys stand to benefit big-time from any efficiency improvements because they could, upon implementation of a Mac platform, sever 80%-90% of the IT support infrastructure.

EDS (and its competitors) have gained some very substantial contracts in the last 24 months (for example JPMorgan, US Navy, etc) because big corporations have finally figured out that running IT internally is one sure fire way to erode shareholder value. The game is up.

For Apple to win here, they need to show a great value proposition (such as total cost of ownership analysis) to the likes of EDS - the Mac platform kicks ass on this measure time and time again - Apple should use this advantage and go in through big corporations' back door by marketing intensively and offering great deals to the likes of these third party IT outsourcing vendors.